E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Jaguar's 3 series fighter to get the F-Type's V6?

04-02-2014, 01:09 PM   #1
ep_83
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0T

Jaguar's 3 series fighter to get the F-Type's V6?

Jaguar XE

Jaguar’s upcoming mid-size sedan, the XE, has been gathering quite a lot of attention and now the Britsh have a new, juicy detail for us - Jaguar has confirmed the XE will borrow the F-Type’s V6 engine.

Jaguar posted the image above on its international website, so we do not have other official info. Thus, we are not sure what state(s) of tune will be used for the XE implementation of the supercharged V6 engine.

We’ll remind you that the three-liter unit delivers either 340 or 380 hp on the F-Type. This brings an interesting muscle topic. There will be one or more versions of the Jaguar XE that will go head to head with vehicles such as the Mercedes C63 AMG and the BMW M3. So far, Jaguar has only confirmed that the fastest XE will hit a top speed of 186 mph (300 km/h).

In order to achieve this, as well as match its competitors (the M3 has 430 hp, for instance), the range-topping Jaguar XE should use a pumped-up version of the V6 engine, which would have to be pushed past the 400 hp mark. It will be either this or the supercharged V8 engine in the F-Type. Nonetheless, the V6 seems more likely to occupy a potential XER’s engine compartment.

That’s because the two main competitors have both gone for downsizing. The M3 features a twin-turbo 3.0-liter straight six with 430 hp, while the upcoming W205 C63 AMG is rumored to bring an all-new new 4.0-liter V8 with 476 hp.

Regardless of this, the supercharged nature of the Jaguar's power will make this a unique proposition in the segment. Jaguar could bring the XE to this fall's Paris Motor Show, at least in a concept form. The mid-size sedan is expected to enter the market next year.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/20...ial-79432.html

Appreciate 1
      04-02-2014, 01:27 PM   #2
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Looks promising

Cant wait to see a rematch of

3Series
iS
C class
ATS
A4
XE
And
S60

Without forgetting the TLX

Edit : i forgot to mention the q50/G37, but maybe i should have just ignored it...
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 03:40 PM   #3
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

I hope you a aware the Jaguar V6 engine is not a real V6 engine, but a V8 with 2 pistons less, using V8 block. That is one reason why the V6 engine is so heavy. I hope the XE will get a new V6, a true V6 or an I6 based on the new (?) I4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post
Looks promising

Cant wait to see a rematch of

3Series
iS
C class
ATS
A4
XE
And
S60

Without forgetting the TLX

Edit : i forgot to mention the q50/G37, but maybe i should have just ignored it...
You forgot the Alfa Romeo Giulia, 159 replacement.

Right now Merc and Lexi are my fav.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 12:13 PM   #4
Sedoy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10

Jag XE should look great, few renderings:

Appreciate 1
      04-03-2014, 12:44 PM   #5
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

The renderings and the sketches are very different around the front fender area behind the wheel. The Top Speed renderings show a nearly fwd shortness while the sketches show a very elongated rwd proportion and also have a much shorter rear overhang. I suspect reality is more like the renderings.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 01:55 PM   #6
Soorena
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 6MT

Garage List
Hopefully this won't be a successor of the old X-Type. They deserve a hot seller car like this. Jag and Volvo are the only brands that i care about at the moment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
I hope you a aware the Jaguar V6 engine is not a real V6 engine, but a V8 with 2 pistons less, using V8 block. That is one reason why the V6 engine is so heavy. I hope the XE will get a new V6, a true V6 or an I6 based on the new (?) I4.
Calling it not a real V6 because it's a 90 degree is absurd. Mercedes V6s are also 90 degree blocks. It's not like the past when reading 90 degree and V6 in the same sentence would automatically mean a measurable ground shaking piece of junk.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 02:09 PM   #7
MikeyV
Captain
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Avant & A1 Sportback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soorena View Post
Hopefully this won't be a successor of the old X-Type. They deserve a hot seller car like this. Jag and Volvo are the only brands that i care about at the moment.
People might take the piss out of the X-Type but it was the biggest selling car in Jaguars history.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 02:17 PM   #8
Soorena
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyV View Post
People might take the piss out of the X-Type but it was the biggest selling car in Jaguars history.
Yes, but it didn't sell enough to return the investment.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 03:16 PM   #9
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Quote:
Yes, but it didn't sell enough to return the investment.
What investment?
The x type was basically a rebadged ford mondeo.
It was a good car nonetheless, just not up to our expectations of jaguar.

However many they sold, they made profit.

This time around this car is brand new from the ground up, and judging from the f. Type,jag is definitely not cutting corners this time around...

It will be a real fighter.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 04:47 PM   #10
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Calling it not a real V6 because it's a 90 degree is absurd. Mercedes V6s are also 90 degree blocks. It's not like the past when reading 90 degree and V6 in the same sentence would automatically mean a measurable ground shaking piece of junk.
No, I didn't say it is not a true V6 because it is 90°. All VAG V6 engines, including Porsche's, are 90°. Why I say the Jaguar V6 (AJ126) engine is not a true one is because it is basically a Jaguar V8 (AJ133) engine with 2 pistons less, not 2 cylinders less.

Unlike when you compare Audi or Mercedes V6 engines to V8 engines, they have different length and you can see this even by just looking at the engine cover under the hood. This is not the case of Jaguar, both the V6 and V8 look identical. This also explains why the F-Type 5.0l V8 weighs only 50 kg more than the F-Type 3.0l V6. The V6 has useless weight.

See blow this image of the crankshaft that just has 2 pistons missing.

If you look carefully at this animation, you'll see the space of the 4th cylinder in the engine block.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 12:02 PM   #11
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
No, I didn't say it is not a true V6 because it is 90°. All VAG V6 engines, including Porsche's, are 90°. Why I say the Jaguar V6 (AJ126) engine is not a true one is because it is basically a Jaguar V8 (AJ133) engine with 2 pistons less, not 2 cylinders less.

Unlike when you compare Audi or Mercedes V6 engines to V8 engines, they have different length and you can see this even by just looking at the engine cover under the hood. This is not the case of Jaguar, both the V6 and V8 look identical. This also explains why the F-Type 5.0l V8 weighs only 50 kg more than the F-Type 3.0l V6. The V6 has useless weight.

How do explain the fact that the AJ126 uses a different block casting with smaller bore size to the AJ133 V8......?
      04-05-2014, 12:36 PM   #12
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
How do explain the fact that the AJ126 uses a different block casting with smaller bore size to the AJ133 V8......?
I don't know how the engine is exactly and what are exact specifications. But the information I got from an insider is that the engine nothing good like Jaguar PR makes people think.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 01:35 PM   #13
Soorena
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

If you look carefully at this animation, you'll see the space of the 4th cylinder in the engine block.

Cheers.
Buddy you just blew my mind! How on earth you can stuff a V6 crankshaft in a V8 block? Per that picture there is no space for the 4th row of pistons to connect to the crank. I could point to a million more flaws with a "V8 with 6 pistons" but what you said is so unlikely that my brain can't even work properly. My XJ is a V6 diesel and i can guaranty you it's got 6 cylinders.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 05:06 PM   #14
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Buddy you just blew my mind! How on earth you can stuff a V6 crankshaft in a V8 block? Per that picture there is no space for the 4th row of pistons to connect to the crank. I could point to a million more flaws with a "V8 with 6 pistons" but what you said is so unlikely that my brain can't even work properly. My XJ is a V6 diesel and i can guaranty you it's got 6 cylinders.
I can't find a lot of evidence, but see yourself, with Google images I found.

This is a Duratec V6 (Ford) used in Jaguar (no more), and Aston Martin (as V12).

This is a Chrysler/Mercedes V6 block.

Here you see a Porsche (VAG) V6 engine from the Panamera.

This is a VW VR6 block...

Well, a GT-R V6 block...

I think it is enough, and now some V8 block like the Corvette for example:

Here is the Jaguar V8 engine...

...compared to this V6 engine...

It is just too obvious the V6 engine is not as others. I also did not believe it when I was told it. But I have no other explanation for this.

Is there a way to explain why the block is so long for 3 cylinders?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 10:08 AM   #15
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Right, done a bit of digging, and it's true the V6 block is the same length as the V8, but it is a different block casting, with only 6 cylinder bores and a smaller bore size than the V8, so it's NOT the V8 block without 2 pistons and rods.

It's still an odd thing to do though, but it means engine bay system installations for both V6 and V8 can be similar according to someone that works at JLR, and the casting costs can be reduced in the engine plant. Jaguar don't have the development budget of MB/BMW etc......sadly.
      04-06-2014, 11:05 AM   #16
MikeyV
Captain
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Avant & A1 Sportback

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post
What investment?
The x type was basically a rebadged ford mondeo.
It was a good car nonetheless, just not up to our expectations of jaguar.

However many they sold, they made profit.

This time around this car is brand new from the ground up, and judging from the f. Type,jag is definitely not cutting corners this time around...

It will be a real fighter.
Rubbish it was a re-badged Mondeo, it sat on the same platform, there is no issue with that IMO, it had about as much in common body wise to a Mondeo as an Audi TT has with a VW Golf.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 12:29 PM   #17
Soorena
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyV View Post
Rubbish it was a re-badged Mondeo, it sat on the same platform, there is no issue with that IMO, it had about as much in common body wise to a Mondeo as an Audi TT has with a VW Golf.
+1
Quote:
I can't find a lot of evidence, but see yourself, with Google images I found.

This is a Duratec V6 (Ford) used in Jaguar (no more), and Aston Martin (as V12).

This is a Chrysler/Mercedes V6 block.

Here you see a Porsche (VAG) V6 engine from the Panamera.

This is a VW VR6 block...

Well, a GT-R V6 block...

I think it is enough, and now some V8 block like the Corvette for example:

Here is the Jaguar V8 engine...

...compared to this V6 engine...

It is just too obvious the V6 engine is not as others. I also did not believe it when I was told it. But I have no other explanation for this.

Is there a way to explain why the block is so long for 3 cylinders?
Oh i had a different of idea, i thought you said it's a V8 with 6 set of pistons. But anyhow that is some weird thing right there. Never heard something like that in my life. Thanks for the heads up.

Oh and i checked my car, it's got a regular block but then again mine is a diesel and it seems it's based on Ford's Duratec V6.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 02:27 PM   #18
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
Right, done a bit of digging, and it's true the V6 block is the same length as the V8, but it is a different block casting, with only 6 cylinder bores and a smaller bore size than the V8, so it's NOT the V8 block without 2 pistons and rods.

It's still an odd thing to do though, but it means engine bay system installations for both V6 and V8 can be similar according to someone that works at JLR, and the casting costs can be reduced in the engine plant. Jaguar don't have the development budget of MB/BMW etc......sadly.
Quote:
+1

Oh i had a different of idea, i thought you said it's a V8 with 6 set of pistons. But anyhow that is some weird thing right there. Never heard something like that in my life. Thanks for the heads up.

Oh and i checked my car, it's got a regular block but then again mine is a diesel and it seems it's based on Ford's Duratec V6.
Sorry, I maybe expressed myself incorrectly. Sure its is not a V8 with six pistons. I just meant what @GeeRam said. The V6 based on the V8 is not in the same principle as for example the Audi V6 based on V8 (on the other way round) or as BMW's S65 and S85.

On the other hand, this means, the Jaguar XE could potentially get the 550 PS V8. That on the other hand, would be really nice if they did.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 02:32 PM   #19
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The AJD-V6 diesel in your car was not based on Ford's Duratec V6 petrol engine.

The diesel V6 was a seperate joint Ford-PSA engine design for use in Citroen/Peugeot and Jaguar-Land Rover vehicles.