E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Driving from Maryland to Florida in March... Painter's Tape?

01-29-2009, 10:54 AM   #1
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 Msport + E83 Msport

Driving from Maryland to Florida in March... Painter's Tape?

Not sure if this is necessary, but one of my friends suggested it... I'm driving from Maryland to Florida in March, nearly a 1000 mile drive, and i'm planning to do it in one shot -- approx. 15hrs of driving. Do you guys think it's a good idea to use painters tape for the front end of my car? Not sure what the bug/rock scenario is going to be since the lowest I've driven on the east coast was to Virginia...

Let me know guys, help appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 10:56 AM   #2
Kensta335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

I would go ahead and use the painters tape. Rather be safe then sorry.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 11:05 AM   #3
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep

i mean, i understand that painter's tape will protect against bugs, but will it do protect against small rocks, etc? Also, since i'm checking into my hotel at 4pm, I plan to drive from midnight... how can i take steps to protect my headlights, since i'll be using them?

i know clear bra is an option, but i don't have the funds for that
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 04:06 PM   #4
MCS
e90 newbie
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 E93

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Dude - I think you're nuts.

Painters tape on a hot car hood will probably leave the sticky residue. Test it out - tape up a metal bar and heat it up for 5 minutes.

My advice - drive down, run the car through the wash once you're down in Florida and run it through a car wash in MD, when you're back.

If you're really concerned about your car, don't drive it. Get all your buds to chip in and rent from Enterprise for a week.
      01-29-2009, 04:13 PM   #5
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Painters tape WILL NOT leave a residue - even on a hot hood - even if it gets wet.
I bought my M in Houston and tapped it up before making the 1,200 mile trek back to Phoenix. Drove through rain, and returned to Phoenix on a scorching August day. No issues with the tape. Just make sure it's stuck down, and overlap it so there's no exposed edge for the wind to catch, otherwise strips will start to peel off at freeway speeds.

If you can't afford a clear bra, I'd do the tape. Not only will it keep your car clean, but I think every little bit helps in the stone protection.
      01-29-2009, 08:43 PM   #6
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCS View Post
Dude - I think you're nuts.

Painters tape on a hot car hood will probably leave the sticky residue. Test it out - tape up a metal bar and heat it up for 5 minutes.

My advice - drive down, run the car through the wash once you're down in Florida and run it through a car wash in MD, when you're back.

If you're really concerned about your car, don't drive it. Get all your buds to chip in and rent from Enterprise for a week.
Yea, i don't think it will leave a residue, but i don't care that much... I just heard it and thought it would be "fun" to do something new to the car lol. And yea, i think i'm going to just do the drive through washes... i don't mind them as long as i get to wax after

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax View Post
Painters tape WILL NOT leave a residue - even on a hot hood - even if it gets wet.
I bought my M in Houston and tapped it up before making the 1,200 mile trek back to Phoenix. Drove through rain, and returned to Phoenix on a scorching August day. No issues with the tape. Just make sure it's stuck down, and overlap it so there's no exposed edge for the wind to catch, otherwise strips will start to peel off at freeway speeds.

If you can't afford a clear bra, I'd do the tape. Not only will it keep your car clean, but I think every little bit helps in the stone protection.
Thanks for the advice... When you made the 1200mi trek, how was the painter's tape? I think there are some "fun" ways to play around w/ the tape -- i'm a kid at heart lol. Also, why did you decide to painter's tape it? Lastly, did you wash your car after you took the tape off?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 09:38 PM   #7
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SE3P_to_E90 View Post
Thanks for the advice... When you made the 1200mi trek, how was the painter's tape? I think there are some "fun" ways to play around w/ the tape -- i'm a kid at heart lol. Also, why did you decide to painter's tape it? Lastly, did you wash your car after you took the tape off?
This post shows the taped up car, and towards the end of the trip - keep in mind that painter's tape doesn't have much adhesive, so if it gets wet, it peels right off.

It definitely is a "fun" thing to do. Car fanatics will give the knowing nod or thumbs-up, everyone else will think you're nuts. Had a kid come up at a gas station and ask if we were doing vehicle testing (he figured it was a camo'd car).

I did it for the same reason, have some fun, try and control some stone chips, and keep the bug splatter to a minimum. After I pulled the paint off, took it to the quarter wash and gave it a touchless wash. No issues.
      01-29-2009, 09:44 PM   #8
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

Use clear contact paper. Cheaper, way thicker for protection, and barley noticeable.

My whole front end is taped up, but you cant even tell.
      01-29-2009, 09:48 PM   #9
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by l4wr3nc3 View Post
Use clear contact paper. Cheaper, way thicker for protection, and barley noticeable.

great shot!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2009, 02:31 PM   #10
777ER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Here's a tip: use saran wrap and cover the front end from each front wheel wells and cut silts for the inlet opening. One piece and quicker to put it on and remove

Sedan | Poplar trim | Steptronic | Cold Package | Power front seats w/memory | Xenon Adaptive Headlights | PDC | 2008 Plate LED's | PBX | LUX v5.2
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2009, 08:49 PM   #11
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

going to ultra?
      01-31-2009, 12:23 AM   #12
SpecC
Completely obsessed with detailing
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i, white Scion tC

whatever you do don't buy a leather bra

while it moves, it scratches your paint
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 08:31 AM   #13
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax View Post
This post shows the taped up car, and towards the end of the trip - keep in mind that painter's tape doesn't have much adhesive, so if it gets wet, it peels right off.

It definitely is a "fun" thing to do. Car fanatics will give the knowing nod or thumbs-up, everyone else will think you're nuts. Had a kid come up at a gas station and ask if we were doing vehicle testing (he figured it was a camo'd car).

I did it for the same reason, have some fun, try and control some stone chips, and keep the bug splatter to a minimum. After I pulled the paint off, took it to the quarter wash and gave it a touchless wash. No issues.
car looks great! I see what you mean when you say it basically falls off if it's wet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by l4wr3nc3 View Post

I couldn't find this clear contact tape... do they have it at home depot, or is it a special tape? Btw, nice shot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777ER View Post
Here's a tip: use saran wrap and cover the front end from each front wheel wells and cut silts for the inlet opening. One piece and quicker to put it on and remove
I want to just stick w/ tape... if one end of the saran wrap comes undone, i'll have to worry about the whole thing falling off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbiz View Post
going to ultra?
Not sure what you're talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phiberglass View Post
Definitely tape it out. Why not, only takes a bit off time. Better safe then sorry. You can also put obscene messages on the side of your car
Have a message in mind?

Thanks for all your help and advice guys! I'll be sure to post up pictures a few months later when i actually do tape up the front end of my car
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 03:16 PM   #14
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
If you're going with tape I would recommend you not be cheap and buy some generic brand. I can't say I've tried to drive around with tape on the car, but I've always found 3M stuff to be way more consistent and easy to remove than other types.
      02-01-2009, 12:29 PM   #15
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep

^ Thanks for the advice...

Just so i have an idea, if i want to tape the entire bumper (pretty well), as well as 1/3 the hood, how many rolls of tape should I get?

And where do i need to tape? Front bumper, hood, rearview mirrors, back of front fender, front/back of rear fender... anywhere else? And should i even bother w/ painting the front/back of the fender?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 03:56 PM   #16
BMW_TT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I would put painter's tape or that clear contact paper someone mentioned.

You don't want this.

Those are from rock and sand from the highway. We recently had an ice storm.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 05:04 PM   #17
Nezo86
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_TT View Post

You don't want this.

ouch... stuff like that ruins the whole car for me...
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 05:55 PM   #18
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep

Ooh... ouch... winterstorms can be a huge b*tch... sorry to hear that that crap happened to your car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_TT View Post

You don't want this.

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 07:21 PM   #19
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
you can also go over the fucking bridge, under and back over again by taping the whole car
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 02:07 AM   #20
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

i bought the clear contact paper at either lowes or homedepot. I forgot which one. Both of them should carry contact paper, its just only one of them had the clear one.

Everytime i tape up my front end for the track, it takes 1 full 2" roll of painters tape, which is about $7~. I do a few extra layers on the front bumper to ensure no rock chips and yet when i get home, i still find plenty have gone through the tape.

Clear contact paper cost me $3.xx for i forgot how many feet of it. But i could easily do 3 cars with probably a bit left over. Not to mention its much thicker (although it makes it harder to apply) so its less prone to rock chips.
      02-02-2009, 03:08 AM   #21
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i MSport

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
I would go for the painters tape. Easy removal and it works. For the headlights get Xpel headlight kit or something similar.