E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > More Bad News on C02

11-13-2014, 08:38 PM   #45
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
I think the gun issue is the left pushing gun control.
Well, could be, but he wrote "gun ownership" not gun control. And that's the problem with Liberal thinking. Guns are inert, they can make no decisions, it is the operator that makes the decisions regarding use of a gun. It is made clear by cities like Chicago and New York, with some of the strictest gun control laws in the world, have the highest gun violence statistics as well, which indicate "gun control" doesn't work.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 08:46 PM   #46
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think the gun issue is the left pushing gun control.
Well, could be, but he wrote "gun ownership" not gun control. And that's the problem with Liberal thinking. Guns are inert, they can make no decisions, it is the operator that makes the decisions regarding use of a gun. It is made clear by cities like Chicago and New York, with some of the strictest gun control laws in the world, have the highest gun violence statistics as well, which indicate "gun control" doesn't work. Which leads to the "progressive" thought that man can change the climate and thus reverse climate change and save the planet; it is idiotic.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 09:13 PM   #47
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Well, could be, but he wrote "gun ownership" not gun control.
Sometimes you have to not be literal.
      11-13-2014, 09:15 PM   #48
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sometimes you have to not be literal.
Yeah, like the due who wrote the Obamacare legislation.... LOL
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 09:25 PM   #49
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, like the due who wrote the Obamacare legislation.... LOL
Oh yeah, that news story about how voters are stupid. You can't make that stuff up, it is too much.
      11-14-2014, 04:38 AM   #50
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh yeah, that news story about how voters are stupid. You can't make that stuff up, it is too much.
Well, only if you watch "Faux" News - LOL, you'll know about it. Love how CNN interviews him (Hans Gruber) and he says "I was speaking off the cuff." Except he said the same thing three different times, at three different places, on three different videos - LOL

But hey, we're supposed to believe a bunch of Liberals that the Earth's mean temperature is going to increase by 1 deg. C over the next hundred years (we've got the climate models to prove it!), so let's increase your taxes now so we can save the children. Jesus does it get old...

I'll stop now...
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 12:25 PM   #51
son_of_siggy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: CTS-V

Quote:
It is made clear by cities like Chicago and New York, with some of the strictest gun control laws in the world, have the highest gun violence statistics as well, which indicate "gun control" doesn't work.
They also have some of the highest populations of city's in the US. And their gun control is no where close to "strictest gun control laws in the world." Check out countries like Japan, Australia, Canada, etc, all of which have much more stringent gun control laws, all of which have drastically lower homicide rates with guns. For example, over a 3 year period Japan averaged 11 homicides with guns per year, for a population of 111 million. That's a little more than 1/3 our population. In 2011 the US had 11,068 gun related homicides according to UCRS (data collected by the FBI). So 33% our population, and .1% of our gun violence.

If you only look at it in terms of sheer volume their gun violence and homicide (w/gun) statistics are quite high in the City's you mentioned. But they're also the first and third most populated cities in the US. One would anticipate that if you add more people, the amount of violence would rise as well.

If you look the numbers per capita, LA, Chicago, and New York don't even rank in the top 6 of major US cities.

For the record I'm a gun toting liberal. But I do find it both humorous and concerning that in my state, for example, one needs to wait three days to get married, but I can go buy a gun in 10 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 01:32 PM   #52
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
....global warming (ice retardation).
That's very insensitive of you to use that term. From now on, please refer to it as being glacially challenged.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 03:41 PM   #53
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle B View Post
That's very insensitive of you to use that term. From now on, please refer to it as being glacially challenged.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 03:42 PM   #54
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by son_of_siggy View Post
They also have some of the highest populations of city's in the US. And their gun control is no where close to "strictest gun control laws in the world." Check out countries like Japan, Australia, Canada, etc, all of which have much more stringent gun control laws, all of which have drastically lower homicide rates with guns. For example, over a 3 year period Japan averaged 11 homicides with guns per year, for a population of 111 million. That's a little more than 1/3 our population. In 2011 the US had 11,068 gun related homicides according to UCRS (data collected by the FBI). So 33% our population, and .1% of our gun violence.

If you only look at it in terms of sheer volume their gun violence and homicide (w/gun) statistics are quite high in the City's you mentioned. But they're also the first and third most populated cities in the US. One would anticipate that if you add more people, the amount of violence would rise as well.

If you look the numbers per capita, LA, Chicago, and New York don't even rank in the top 6 of major US cities.

For the record I'm a gun toting liberal. But I do find it both humorous and concerning that in my state, for example, one needs to wait three days to get married, but I can go buy a gun in 10 minutes.
Meaning people in Japan, etc. obey the law and don't shoot people. What a concept....

And heck, why would you want to wait to shoot your wife. It probably takes longer to get divorced too.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 03:55 PM   #55
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Meaning people in Japan, etc. obey the law and don't shoot people. What a concept....
Correct. Ours is a nation of laws....poorly written and randomly enforced.

Has anyone ever thought of enforcing the laws we have and making the penalties severe enough to deter criminal activity? For example, mandatory life imprisonment with no possibility of parole for any and all homicide and attempted homicide convictions. Mandatory fifty year imprisonment with no possibility of parole for any and all robbery/rape/other violent crime convictions. Mandatory 25 year imprisonment with no possibility of parole for all other non-violent felonies (burglary, etc). Remove all TVs from prisons. Replace basketball and weightlifting activities with 6 hours of hard labor. I always get major LULZ when I hear of an inmate being released early because of 'good behavior'.

I'm sure you've seen the same prison shows I've seen where inmates admit to having fun in prison. We have effectively removed crime deterrents from our society. Put those back in place and I bet you'd see a drastic reduction in crime. Go ask President Tory Tan of Singapore why he doesn't have a drug problem in his country...
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 10:04 PM   #56
Spartan
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle B View Post
Correct. Ours is a nation of laws....poorly written and randomly enforced.

Has anyone ever thought of enforcing the laws we have and making the penalties severe enough to deter criminal activity? For example, mandatory life imprisonment with no possibility of parole for any and all homicide and attempted homicide convictions. Mandatory fifty year imprisonment with no possibility of parole for any and all robbery/rape/other violent crime convictions. Mandatory 25 year imprisonment with no possibility of parole for all other non-violent felonies (burglary, etc). Remove all TVs from prisons. Replace basketball and weightlifting activities with 6 hours of hard labor. I always get major LULZ when I hear of an inmate being released early because of 'good behavior'.

I'm sure you've seen the same prison shows I've seen where inmates admit to having fun in prison. We have effectively removed crime deterrents from our society. Put those back in place and I bet you'd see a drastic reduction in crime. Go ask President Tory Tan of Singapore why he doesn't have a drug problem in his country...
Everything you typed is stupid.

If we make more things illegal and already illegal things more illegal, then that will stop crime and save lives.

Putting our focus on enforcing existing laws means we aren't creating new ones which doesn't help anyone since we all know that loopholes are what makes people commit crimes.

If we close loopholes and make more new laws, then there wouldn't be crime anymore. Maybe Newtown wouldn't have happened if there was a law or 20 that would have stopped that madman. If we made murder more illegal than it is today, those kids might still be alive.

Also, pollution is OK as long as its in someone else's backyard.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 10:13 PM   #57
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan View Post

If we make more things illegal and already illegal things more illegal, then that will stop crime and save lives.

Putting our focus on enforcing existing laws means we aren't creating new ones which doesn't help anyone since we all know that loopholes are what makes people commit crimes.

If we close loopholes and make more new laws, then there wouldn't be crime anymore. Maybe Newtown wouldn't have happened if there was a law or 20 that would have stopped that madman. If we made murder more illegal than it is today, those kids might still be alive.

Except the EPA classified CO2 a pollutant in 2010. You exhale it every second. You are a polluter. You are a criminal. Now do you see how stupid liberals are?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 10:17 PM   #58
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

We are spending way too much money on locking people up, in particular non violent drug offenders. Our police have developed a trial by machine mentality. That means any crime where a machine test makes a conviction will be enforced out the wazoo. Those crimes are possession of any kind of contraband, DUI, and speeding. Meanwhile our homes get burglarized and our personal data is stolen.

How anyone could think reducing CO2 emissions is the most important thing in the world when Putin and ISIS are on the loose, is beyond me.
      11-15-2014, 05:36 AM   #59
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
We are spending way too much money on locking people up, in particular non violent drug offenders. Our police have developed a trial by machine mentality. That means any crime where a machine test makes a conviction will be enforced out the wazoo. Those crimes are possession of any kind of contraband, DUI, and speeding. Meanwhile our homes get burglarized and our personal data is stolen.

How anyone could think reducing CO2 emissions is the most important thing in the world when Putin and ISIS are on the loose, is beyond me.
Because success can be had without any proof. I had a boss like Obama once. He'd go find a small issue, make it a huge problem, then go make the easy fix, and look like a hero. Taking on Russia and ISIS is hard stuff. It makes Obama look like a meanie. Fixing a problem with C02 (it's a gas after all so you can't see it) and making it go away (it's a gas after all so you can't see it) so the planet will not greenhouse us humans into extinction (or at least not flood Al Gore's new house in So Cal) is easy. All smoke and mirrors (pun intended).
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2014, 08:29 AM   #60
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan View Post

Everything you typed is stupid. You are stupid. Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries. I fart in your general direction.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2014, 09:29 AM   #61
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Anybody want to help me find a way to push Cook County into the lake?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2014, 10:13 AM   #62
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Anybody want to help me find a way to push Cook County into the lake?
Sure, I'm in.
      11-15-2014, 10:18 AM   #63
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Because success can be had without any proof. I had a boss like Obama once. He'd go find a small issue, make it a huge problem, then go make the easy fix, and look like a hero. Taking on Russia and ISIS is hard stuff. It makes Obama look like a meanie. Fixing a problem with C02 (it's a gas after all so you can't see it) and making it go away (it's a gas after all so you can't see it) so the planet will not greenhouse us humans into extinction (or at least not flood Al Gore's new house in So Cal) is easy. All smoke and mirrors (pun intended).
My view is the left likes the CO2 issue because they can regulate and tax it. The UN likes it because they say it requires a global solution, unlike local pollution, and it gives an excuse for cross border wealth redistribution.

There are people out there who want strict regulation of CO2 and don't care if it prevents climate change because their objective is deindustrialization of the West. We will live pastoral lives, eat locally sourced food and listen to the whoosh of windmills in the background while we pedal our bicycles about.
      11-15-2014, 12:39 PM   #64
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My view is the left likes the CO2 issue because they can regulate and tax it. The UN likes it because they say it requires a global solution, unlike local pollution, and it gives an excuse for cross border wealth redistribution.

There are people out there who want strict regulation of CO2 and don't care if it prevents climate change because their objective is deindustrialization of the West. We will live pastoral lives, eat locally sourced food and listen to the whoosh of windmills in the background while we pedal our bicycles about.
Ahhhh, Utopia!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2014, 01:37 PM   #65
son_of_siggy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: CTS-V

Quote:
That's one way to look at it. But they have much more stringent laws around guns to begin with, so what they do enforce has more teeth. Your line about Chicago and New York having some of the toughest gun laws in the world was simply incorrect. So too was your assertion about their statistics.

If I had to take a guess, you're trying to say that their much tougher gun control laws in no way impact their DRAMATICALLY lower gun violence/homicide rates than the US. And the same thing applies to Canada, Australia, etc all of whom have tougher laws and much lower ratios of gun violence per person. All of that is coincidence, right?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2014, 05:08 PM   #66
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by son_of_siggy View Post
That's one way to look at it. But they have much more stringent laws around guns to begin with, so what they do enforce has more teeth. Your line about Chicago and New York having some of the toughest gun laws in the world was simply incorrect. So too was your assertion about their statistics.

If I had to take a guess, you're trying to say that their much tougher gun control laws in no way impact their DRAMATICALLY lower gun violence/homicide rates than the US. And the same thing applies to Canada, Australia, etc all of whom have tougher laws and much lower ratios of gun violence per person. All of that is coincidence, right?
Okay, so I should have said strictest in the US. But the point is trying to keep guns from the hands of criminals to prevent homicide using guns doesn't work in the US (we're talking US Liberals here). Switzerland has one of the highest rates of gun ownership world wide (near the level of the US, although ammunition is restricted) and has the one of the lowest per-capita homicide rate in the world regardless of method.

Guns are not the only way to kill humans, guns can be an efficient method (maybe Hollywood glorifies gun violence too much), but heck we just had several instances of Jihadists beheading women. Liberals like to restrict things to control behavior, like were all children. Maybe Liberals should figure out how to govern with policies that let the free market and the free will of men and women flourish, rather than restrict guns, restrict CO2 emissions, restrict salt intake, and sugar intake, and fat intake, blah, blah, blah.
Appreciate 0