E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > A new Acura Integra? Just wait.

11-06-2014, 09:38 PM   #1
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

A New Acura Integra? Just Wait, We're Told

November 5, 2014 by Erik Johnson, Car and Driver

[IMG]http://blog.caranddriver.com/wp-cont...t1-626x382.jpg[/IMG]

Are we finally going to get a replacement for the Acura Integra/RSX? You could see that Acura chief designer Dave Marek wanted to spill the beans here at the SEMA show about the plans for Hondas long-floundering luxury brand, but he was prevented by the watchful presence of a company PR rep. All he was able to say was this: A performance brand needs a flagship and it needs an accessible sport car. Not a sports car, but a sport car.

[IMG]http://blog.caranddriver.com/wp-cont...36-626x416.jpg[/IMG]

As a hint, Acura used its SEMA stage to show a TLX sedan modified by Los Angelesbased Galpin Auto Sports with a body kit, lowered suspension, 19-inch wheels, and Wilwood six-piston-front/four-piston-rear brakes on 14-inch discs. The TLX is painted Andaro Blue, a vibrant hue that will be available on future production cars; the mid-size sedan, however, is not likely to set tuners on fire as did the Integra and the RSX.

Marek said the company knows that it has a lot of rebuilding to do to restore Hondas luxury brand back to its 1990s heyday. Back then, the Integra was an attainable car for young enthusiasts and the core of its claim to performance credibility, while the NSX was an exotic aspirational flagship. Several Integras and NSXs were spotted at this years SEMA show, even though theyve both been out of production for years. A new NSX comes in 2015, but Marek said itll be a few more flips of the calendar, at least not until 2017, before the plan results in a more affordable performance car for Acura showrooms.

[IMG]http://blog.caranddriver.com/wp-cont...-1-626x417.jpg[/IMG]

He wouldnt be any more specific, acknowledging only that Honda erred in the past trying to make the brand too upscale, leaving behind its rabid enthusiast audience. Then the financial crisis hit along with the Japanese earthquake, rocking Honda on its heels and distracting Acura from its turnaround plans.

There are changes coming, and then there are more changes coming, said Marek. The refreshed Acura ILX, which will debut at the L.A. auto show in mid-November, will hint at the sportier direction Acura wants to take its entry-level offerings. Its not what our direction is going to be, but its a step in that direction, he said. Eventually Acura will expand its model portfolio from the current collection of sedans and crossovers. There are lots of resources and activity going into making Acura back into what it was.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 10:05 PM   #2
b0bab0i
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop

They still have that stupid shield.
Everyone hated it and they still want to leave it on their vehicles.

And the NSX is still not out, vaporware until its actually at dealers.

Acura has been a fail all around after 2007. 2007 TL was their last good vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 10:09 PM   #3
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Ok I can wait. Judging from this pictures, I can wait a long, loooooooooong time.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 10:12 PM   #4
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Haha I don't like the way these look these days but I do remember how fun the old Integra was. I never had one but a friend did and we always had a blast with it. Good memories
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 07:34 AM   #5
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Do you guys see how big it is? The old Teg/RSX was a flyweight. It was also a 2 door.

Wrong name Acura.