E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > help with brake pad light reset please ?!?!

09-20-2014, 05:02 PM   #1
Westcoast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08' 335xi coupe

Question help with brake pad light reset please ?!?!

i watched a bunch of videos. tried a bunch of different ways. key in ignition, ignition on...i just get an exclamation point that doesn't go away. i get a bit further with the car running... "01.00 FGSTNR E063090" displays...?? help please!!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 05:36 PM   #2
Westcoast
Private First Class
Rep

ok...sorry. i did a little research...01.00 FGSTNR E063090 = hidden menu. but i still need help with the brake light reset.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 09:19 PM   #3
9iron
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 04 WRX

This is what worked for me. I assume it would work for your 335.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 11:52 PM   #4
Miller335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92

Keep searching, I found the right post on how to do it correctly eventually.

The trick was is you have to hold it down for only 3 seconds or so on one of the steps, if you go longer it brings up the menu you keep running into.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 04:55 AM   #5
Westcoast
Private First Class
Rep

that is one of the videos i had watched and tried. the problem is when i put the key in and turn on the ignition (not starting the car like the video instructs) i just get an exclamation point on the screen in-between the tach and speedo. it doesn't go away no matter how long i hold any or press the bc or reset button.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 06:05 AM   #6
kiel_dafo_kenyg_as
DIE ANTWOORD
Germany
Rep
Drives: 335d E92

Have you played with the reset function prior to changing the pads and so unintentionally triggered the red lifting ramp icon?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 08:04 AM   #7
Westcoast
Private First Class
Rep

no i haven't.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 09:06 AM   #8
kiel_dafo_kenyg_as
DIE ANTWOORD
Germany
Rep
Drives: 335d E92

Well, there are more ways which may differ from car to car. I'll copy/paste for you what I've saved to my computer. Hope that helps.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
worked fine for me after a couple of tries. i was letting go of the odo reset button when the yellow icon appeared...don't do this...hold the odo reset button, after about a second when the yellow icon appears continue holding the odo reset button AND hold the BC button. "> Reset?" will appear, release both the BC and the odo reset buttons and then hold BC. A clock animation shows up next to the word "Reset", continue holding the BC button. Once the clock animation disappears, the word "Reset" should be followed by a check mark. And your done.

################################################## ##################

Here's the dialog I had on AIM with a former BMW Tech. I just changed his name...

Tech: get in driver's seat, shut the door, and insert the key... don't start the engine... then press and hold the trip reset button on the cluster. as you hold it, it should bring up a 'service' triangle... when that happens, press and hold again.
Tech: this SHOULD (operative word) bring you into the services reset menu.... each press of the button should now change the picture on the cluster... things like an oil lamp, a picture of a radiator, the brake pad warning symbol, etc...
Tech: anything that is overdue will show red. services coming due will show yellow. services NOT due are green
Tech: when you find the 'rear brakes' symbol, press and hold again. it will come up with a 'reset?' press and hold again.... it should reset at this time.
Tech: now here's the rub
Tech: instead of resetting, occasionally it will bug. it will begin to show your brakes as 25,000 or so miles overdue.
Tech: the only fix you'll be able to do, is try to reset it a few more times. if it still doesn't work, drive around the block and try again. if it STILL doesn't go... then you must go to the dealer and they'll have to hook up
Ksfrogman: so what the dealer does is slightly different?
Tech: no
Tech: but they have an option you don't, by hooking up the diag tool (which has been upgraded since I left, so I don't even know what it is)

################################################## ###################

I figured it out (in line at Taco Bell drive through)! With the car running I pressed and held the odo reset button. Then the service warning light that was due showed up in the display. While continuing to press the odo reset button I pressed and held the BC button simutaneously. Then I simply flipped through the the icons that needed to be reset and pressed and held the BC button while a little clock showed up next to the word reset. A check mark then appeared and I scrolled to the next due warning light and did the same. I shut the car off and then restarted it and all the lights were gone

################################################## ####################

I found out that I have the hold the odometer button and when the icon comes up, I have to press the BC button TWICE instead of holding it like you guys suggested

then select the thing you want to reset.

I accidentally reset my front brake service light after doing an oil & filter service on my recently bought car.
My pads still had plenty of life left so the way i overcame the problem was to remove the left front wheel where the sensor was. open up the little box holding the sensor connector (just behind the suspension strut) unplug it while still connected to the brake pad, and connect a brand new one.
I then went threw the reset procedure on the dash which now worked. after which I unplugged the new sensor and reconnected the old one back in and everything went back normal. I've kept the receipt for the new sensor so will return it back to the shop today. But that will teach me not to go pressing buttons until i know what I'm doing Ha!

1. unlock
2. open door
3. close door
4. key in ignition
5. push start button (no need to start car)
6. wait until clock appears on display
7. push and hold reset odo button until yellow triangle appears)
8. push and hold BC button (before the yellow triangle disappears)

NOTE: After a few seconds of holding both BC & reset odo, the display changes again. You will now be in the mode you need to be in (shows service indicators and times/miles)

9. At this point you can use the up and down (on stick the BC button is on) to cycle through and reset applicable service lights. In order to reset, hold BC button until reset occurs. Done.

################################################## #####################

Holy crap this was frustrating. All E90s do not work the same way. Mine is a 2007 E90 335i with navigation. Here's what worked for me:

1. with engine running
2. press and hold odometer reset button
3. service light will appear (yellow triangle)
4. while still pressing odometer button, press and release the BC button TWICE on the turn signal stalk (pressing only once does not work). Service indicators will appear.
5. use the thumb scroll on the BC stalk to cycle through the service indicators (brake fluid, oil, brake pads rear, brake pads front, service interval, state inspection, etc).
6. navigate to desired service indicator
7. press and release the BC button, it will ask to "Reset?"
8. to reset, press and hold BC button - a rotating hand of a clock will appear
9. when the clock goes away, release the BC button
10. turn off/on engine to confirm that indicator light has been reset.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 05:18 PM   #9
techie182
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe

Did you change brake pad? if you did it reset won't work. Have to get new sensors or short sensors together to get rid of light.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 06:31 PM   #10
Westcoast
Private First Class
Rep

i did pads and rotors. put a new sensor (oem) also. thanks for all of that. going to start trying now. i appreciate the help.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 07:01 PM   #11
Miller335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoast View Post
that is one of the videos i had watched and tried. the problem is when i put the key in and turn on the ignition (not starting the car like the video instructs) i just get an exclamation point on the screen in-between the tach and speedo. it doesn't go away no matter how long i hold any or press the bc or reset button.
! is because your door is open.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 04:58 AM   #12
Westcoast
Private First Class
Rep

wow light is off. thanks for all the help...it was the door being open.
Appreciate 0