E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > BMW congratulates Sebastian Vettel on 2010 Formula 1 World Championship win

11-17-2010, 07:28 PM   #23
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
My bad, totally forgot BMW was with Williams - during that time, I always referred to them as the Williams team so it just slipped my mind. If BMW can get backpacked by someone like them again then by all means
Well, I think it was a more even partnership than some of the engine-constructors these days . After all, BMW in the early 2000s made arguably the most powerful (and most UNreliable, admittedly) engine. To me, it was more like Mclaren-Mercedes of the past 10 years, rather than Red Bull-Renault. I think Montoya still holds the lap record at Monza - something like 360kph+ on the front straight, which is insane!

Admittedly it's debatable, I'm just of the opinion that BMW accomplished quite a bit of F1. I think we can all agree it's a huge pity they left, though. With drivers like Kubica and Heidfeld, they just needed to give them a good chassis to play with.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 07:33 PM   #24
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
I am praying to God they don't bring turbos (and the 4-bangers that would come with). There's always the fuel economy and all that other bullshit that would come from it but at the sacrifice of the engine sound. I mean seriously, the V8s of today sound a couple steps down to the V12s of the early '90s and the V10s of a couple years ago... and that's an understatement
I absolutely agree with this. What is all this fuel saving nonsense, after all?

When will people get it through their heads that F1 isn't about economy, efficiency, etc? F1 is supposed to be about the latest technology and the most outlandish solutions! I want to see F1 go back to the '90s and early 2000s; I want to see F1 cars once again made out of exotic materials like molybdenum and palladium. If I wanted to see road cars racing around bland tracks, I would just watch NASCAR.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 09:00 PM   #25
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

I'm confused why BMW pulled out because of $$$ or lack of but a drinkmaker like Red Bull can not only afford to but top both championships?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 11:15 PM   #26
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
I'm confused why BMW pulled out because of $$$ or lack of but a drinkmaker like Red Bull can not only afford to but top both championships?
Its more about their ambitious game plan...
BMW Sauber F1 aimed to score points in 2007, win their first win in 2008 (which they did luckily), and win the World Champion in 2009.

They announced mid-season they will STOP develop the F1.08 when Kubica still leading the WDC, and start develop F1.09 chassis with KERS technology.
Turns out, KERS became a weight burden and messed up the chassis balance. Also reliability issue caused the KERS system less effective than they thought, ends up fighting in the mid-to-rear field throughout the season.