E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > College Class/Grade/Major Question

10-03-2008, 10:38 AM   #23
matt_435xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Perfomance Model 3

Garage List
man with close to 3000 posts seems like you are spending too much time no e90post

*RETIRED* 2015 435xi GC [f36] | 2012 335i [f30] | 2009 z4 35i [e89] | 2007 335i coupe [e92] | 2001 325Ci [e46] *RETIRED*
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 11:57 AM   #24
mithiral67
That guy
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAg335i View Post
Just THINK of what you will do with an accounting major after graduating...no, living at moms house doesn't count.
Words can't describe how wrong you are. Getting an accounting degree and passing the CPA, ensure you a job for life.

Do some research and accounting is one of the top degrees in demand right now.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 12:43 PM   #25
Enjoiyourlife
Sensei
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

^^ Word

Pretty easy to find a job with an accounting major.
      10-03-2008, 12:53 PM   #26
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mithiral67 View Post
Words can't describe how wrong you are. Getting an accounting degree and passing the CPA, ensure you a job for life.

That's so true. Accountants are always in demand.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 01:04 PM   #27
SDTopless
I just wanna do my car
United_States
Rep
Drives: 350z RevUp =)

become an econ major it sounds a lot better to others than "business admin." plus it aint all that "mathy," and it still applies to finance & business in general. it's more conceptual based so i think its easier.

ride the classes, keep up ur gpa, and enjoy college
      10-03-2008, 01:24 PM   #28
mithiral67
That guy
Rep

Garage List
Oh yea, and the idea that accounting means you use a lot of math is way off. We have these pretty sweet tools called computers with these fun things on them called accounting software and excel. They do a lot of the heavy math lifting.

Its like saying someone good at playing a guitar is knowledgeable in building guitars.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 01:35 PM   #29
Lassaxi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: April ED - E90 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
maybe i picked a wrong major. my first choice was business admin but my counsler said business admin is basically physchology of business and finance and accounting are true math subjects. i do like math but accounting isn't really math just entires, records, etc.

if i go into financing is that more math based? no entries in that right? .
This is crazy, I know, but if you want to do math, how about majoring in math?
      10-03-2008, 01:43 PM   #30
nissan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 GC CP

+1, math + finance sounds like something he should look into instead of attempting to make sense out of accounting. Do anything else, just don't compromise your GPA!

Btw. for those saying accounting = guaranteed job security, that's true once you're in but it doesn't mean it's easy to get a decent job in it right out of ugrad. I had gotten way more interviews/offers in finance (and, at a better pay level), than I did w/accounting firms. Not to mention, salaries tend to plateau in accounting after a certain # of yrs, unless you make partner (good luck w/that).
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 01:59 PM   #31
mithiral67
That guy
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan View Post
Btw. for those saying accounting = guaranteed job security, that's true once you're in but it doesn't mean it's easy to get a decent job in it right out of ugrad. I had gotten way more interviews/offers in finance (and, at a better pay level), than I did w/accounting firms. Not to mention, salaries tend to plateau in accounting after a certain # of yrs, unless you make partner (good luck w/that).
Are you talking public or private? Private, yes, you will be some what limited in pay increase depending on the size of the Company you are at. Small private companies have limited room to move up as you have to wait for some one to leave. Larger Companies will have more opportunities.

You did note partner in your post, which makes me think you were referring to public accounting. And I am not sure where this plateau is? Been in public for 5 years and my average annual % increase is in the mid teens. I guess I need to keep waiting for that plateau.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 02:01 PM   #32
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:

That's not what I meant.

Do some reading when you respond to posts.

If he doesn't like/want to do accounting when he graduates, what does it matter how in demand accounts are?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 02:58 PM   #33
mithiral67
That guy
Rep

Garage List
I dont know Bubby. Being you commented on accounting sucking and you capitalized "THINK." Pretty sure you were bashing accounting. Maybe if you had said "Just think of what YOU will do with an accounting major after graduating...no, living at moms house doesn't count." Then is could be viewed that way Pal.

As is, you’re just a bad person with an unhealthy hatred for accounting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAg335i View Post
Accounting sucks man. If you don't like it, CHANGE YOUR MAJOR immediately.

Just THINK of what you will do with an accounting major after graduating...no, living at moms house doesn't count.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 04:11 PM   #34
nissan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 GC CP

Quote:
Are you talking public or private? Private, yes, you will be some what limited in pay increase depending on the size of the Company you are at. Small private companies have limited room to move up as you have to wait for some one to leave. Larger Companies will have more opportunities.

You did note partner in your post, which makes me think you were referring to public accounting. And I am not sure where this plateau is? Been in public for 5 years and my average annual % increase is in the mid teens. I guess I need to keep waiting for that plateau.
I was talking about something longer term -- 10+ years, if all one has is a BS in accountancy + CPA, there is a higher likelihood that the person will hit a plateau. Those in finance are less likely to hit a plateau even w/just a BS b/c there's a lot of diff routes one can take w/that kind of experience under your belt.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 04:52 PM   #35
mithiral67
That guy
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan View Post
I was talking about something longer term -- 10+ years, if all one has is a BS in accountancy + CPA, there is a higher likelihood that the person will hit a plateau. Those in finance are less likely to hit a plateau even w/just a BS b/c there's a lot of diff routes one can take w/that kind of experience under your belt.
Ah, yep, not personal experience there. Only just made manager, ask me after 5 years as I try to grind it out towards partner.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 05:25 PM   #36
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

originally i wanted account+mba+cpa exam, now imthinking financing+mba+cpa.
      10-03-2008, 07:10 PM   #37
flyinggonzo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Your describing having issues with a book-keeping class, which is fundamental to accounting so think your thoughts about transferring majors a good one.

I would steer clear of finance as well. You don't have to be an expert in accounting to be successful in finance, but you'd better be able to read financial statements and track cash flows!
      10-04-2008, 12:29 PM   #38
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

http://www.theonion.com/content/news...mes_square_for

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/25904

Anyone know any good accountant jokes?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2008, 07:16 PM   #39
Aija
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335Coupe 6-Speed!

If you like math...i mean really like math....you can always try engineering.. Top 5 most paid salary's with just bachelor degrees (and starting salary out of college) always goes to Chemical, Electrical , Mechanical engineers.

Mix it in with MBA (business side of things) and enjoy the $$$.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2008, 12:15 PM   #40
dth656
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

EE and CS are also good engineering majors for starting salary...however, quite a bit also depends on what school you went to, at least for that first job. i used to work at a large, hi tech company, and they definitely tended to recruit engineers from certain 'core' schools
      10-05-2008, 03:04 PM   #41
The_Blob
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Accounting is boring and nasty!!! I took it in high school and I dropped the course after a few months. I took it in college as it was required for my program and I hated it as it was just boring
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2008, 12:02 PM   #42
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
You need a tutor now. Just to point something out, you got the example you gave us of what you DO know wrong. I don't think you understand the basics, and thats the problem. Assets and Expenses increase with debits and decrease with credits. Liabilities and Revenues increase with credits and decrease with debits.

You say you studied your ass off, but what constitutes "ass off." I study on average 25+ hours for each of my accounting exams. A week before the test and I'm doing nothing but going to school and coming home to study. Its not picking the wrong major, its all a matter of what you are putting into it. I took 3 accounting classes in high school before I came to college. When I took the intro class I had this "I know accounting, I don't need to study" attitude. Well, I got a 65 on the first test. I went and looked at it and found two questions that were actually right . So much for the TA's knowing anything. So I ended up with a 70 on the first exam. I busted my ass off and got 100's on the next two exams and made an A- in the class. Getting a 77 on the next two tests just to pass isn't hard at all. At FSU if you want to be an accounting major you need to pass intro with a B, not a B- or lower. So I was shitting bricks after my first test. You CAN make it if you put your mind to it.

As far as if it is the right major for you, take a look around or turn on CNN. Good luck getting a job with a finance degree. I didn't even WANT to get a degree in accounting, but my dad pushed me towards it. Best advice I was ever given. I have the Big 4 (Ernst & Young, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Deloitte, and KPMG) all fighting over me. PwC flew me to one of their offices and put me up in the Four Seasons. A friend of mine has a job offer from Deloitte for $56,000 right out of college, and that doesn't include the $5000 signing bonus. If that doesn't tell you that accounting is a great major, then I don't know what will.
      10-06-2008, 12:12 PM   #43
mithiral67
That guy
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminole View Post
You need a tutor now. Just to point something out, you got the example you gave us of what you DO know wrong. I don't think you understand the basics, and thats the problem. Assets and Expenses increase with debits and decrease with credits. Liabilities and Revenues increase with credits and decrease with debits.

You say you studied your ass off, but what constitutes "ass off." I study on average 25+ hours for each of my accounting exams. A week before the test and I'm doing nothing but going to school and coming home to study. Its not picking the wrong major, its all a matter of what you are putting into it. I took 3 accounting classes in high school before I came to college. When I took the intro class I had this "I know accounting, I don't need to study" attitude. Well, I got a 65 on the first test. I went and looked at it and found two questions that were actually right . So much for the TA's knowing anything. So I ended up with a 70 on the first exam. I busted my ass off and got 100's on the next two exams and made an A- in the class. Getting a 77 on the next two tests just to pass isn't hard at all. At FSU if you want to be an accounting major you need to pass intro with a B, not a B- or lower. So I was shitting bricks after my first test. You CAN make it if you put your mind to it.

As far as if it is the right major for you, take a look around or turn on CNN. Good luck getting a job with a finance degree. I didn't even WANT to get a degree in accounting, but my dad pushed me towards it. Best advice I was ever given. I have the Big 4 (Ernst & Young, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Deloitte, and KPMG) all fighting over me. PwC flew me to one of their offices and put me up in the Four Seasons. A friend of mine has a job offer from Deloitte for $56,000 right out of college, and that doesn't include the $5000 signing bonus. If that doesn't tell you that accounting is a great major, then I don't know what will.
I have heard the big four have been cutting back on thier number of new hires this year. My firm has been pushing to steal as many of thier experienced hires as possible over the last couple months. Thanks for the free training big 4
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2008, 12:13 PM   #44
kgb1637
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: RS5

Don't be fooled by all the great success stories. It's very hard now to get a job period, let alone be selective, for every person who gets fought over by 4 or 5 different companies, there are hundreds, (maybe thousands) who end up with simple entry level jobs making $35,000.00 a year (not that thats bad). Just know that your work ethic and your grades will get you a good job. I lucked out and am lucky to have found a job with my Finance degree that blends both Accounting and Finance and pays just over $45,000.00. Whatever you choose make sure you enjoy it and you can do it.
Appreciate 0