E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Panhandlers

06-03-2014, 01:32 PM   #45
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Just don't handle their pans. So to speak.

We only see it in Jackson at gas stations and occasionally busy intersections. One guy is called Ron. He stays at the gas station that I usually go to and we're cool so I usually give him a beer or something and he doesn't bullshit me in return. He's got a house though that he rents using the money he gets panhandling. I don't mind giving them money as long as they're honest about it. Telling me that he's trying to put gas in his car to pick up his sister to take her to the hospital, that's different.

Most keep to themselves. I once had a guy at an intersection start knocking on my window and yelling so I put my pistol on my lap and he left. I also gave a McDonalds cheeseburger to one; he called me a smartass and then started eating it. Eh. Usually if you don't make eye contact you are ok.

The ones in Europe are worse IMO. They'll follow you around asking repeatedly and when you give them money it's "come on brother, one more coin." Most of the real thieves just cut out the middle man and try to pickpocket you though.

Last edited by PINeely; 06-03-2014 at 01:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 01:38 PM   #46
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittstock View Post
He did relapse but was then reported to be clean and sober.
yeah, I knew he had gotten in trouble shortly after "getting discovered"...

he has to have a life coach live with him so he doesn't fuck up....
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 01:40 PM   #47
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwdFtl View Post
LOL, or not.
he did tho.....
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 01:41 PM   #48
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Try San Francisco where panhandlers dress up for the America's Cup with their LL Bean, North Face, and Helly Hansen attire.

If you're chuckling, just realize that I'm not being sarcastic.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 01:45 PM   #49
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittstock View Post
Yea my bad Homefront Deli. I use to go there all the time when it was still owed by the Greek couple, ( heavy set dude and skinny blonde lady who could memorize like 15 orders in her head, freaky).

In speaking with the husband one day, he told he was selling the business. Apparently they were getting a divorcee and part of the deal was to sell the business and split the proceeds 50/50. He was seriously distraught over it but what could he do.

It was bought up by Asians, who promptly increased the prices and cut down the portion sizes. The same guys still work in the kitchen so they hook me up
Yes! She was insanely good. That was my favorite place when I was working here full time.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 01:47 PM   #50
2011CrazE89
Moved on
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z430i & 2015 MB C300

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Try San Francisco where panhandlers dress up for the America's Cup with their LL Bean, North Face, and Helly Hansen attire.

If you're chuckling, just realize that I'm not being sarcastic.
I recently went on a business trip to SF. Met a nice couple with a combined salary of $80K. They said they were renting a garage turned into a studio apt. Cost of living there is insane!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 02:02 PM   #51
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 02:04 PM   #52
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post
he did tho.....
Too long to explain, but that wasn't directed at you.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 02:06 PM   #53
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 02:34 PM   #54
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011CrazE89 View Post
I recently went on a business trip to SF. Met a nice couple with a combined salary of $80K. They said they were renting a garage turned into a studio apt. Cost of living there is insane!
Oh yeah, my wife's friend (not kidding) works 3 jobs, and she's a professional (I would argue 50-60 hours per week is normal, but not 3 jobs, that's cutting into the quality of life). Their house is what I would in the East refer to as a twin, as it shares a wall with the neighbor. One would think in NYC it'd be 400k, in TX maybe 100k. It's like 700k in SF.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 03:00 PM   #55
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Oh yeah, my wife's friend (not kidding) works 3 jobs, and she's a professional (I would argue 50-60 hours per week is normal, but not 3 jobs, that's cutting into the quality of life). Their house is what I would in the East refer to as a twin, as it shares a wall with the neighbor. One would think in NYC it'd be 400k, in TX maybe 100k. It's like 700k in SF.
There are 1BR apartments in NYC that go for over $1M.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 03:11 PM   #56
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
How about the units at One57?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 03:12 PM   #57
2011CrazE89
Moved on
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z430i & 2015 MB C300

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
My dream is to own a piece of real estate in NYC. But I don't feel like panhandling for a living.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 03:17 PM   #58
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

$600K in the Houston area will get you 3900sqft on the water: http://search.har.com/engine/228-Jef...AR24559429.htm

or 5000sqft with a backyard that looks like a resort with pool, outdoor kitchen: http://search.har.com/engine/13811-V...AR36280817.htm
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 03:17 PM   #59
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

No way I would live in the city there. 2-300k for a parking space and people are LINING UP to get it.

Here in MS you can get a 2500sqft house for about 150k
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 03:52 PM   #60
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011CrazE89 View Post
My dream is to own a piece of real estate in NYC. But I don't feel like panhandling for a living.
I see what you did there
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 04:08 PM   #61
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

They're all over Denver when I go there to see my parents. Much like the NW U.S. the state and city tolerate\encourage it so, according to my mother, they flock there. On that note, concerning the Newport Beach teens story earlier in the thread, my brother in law told me a few years ago while we were in Boulder screwing around that doing that very thing (rich kids begging for fun\amusement\money) is a common rich-kid CU Boulder student Spring Break adventure. Pathetic. Also, in reference to the earlier post about the guy at the gas station talking to the poster about his BMW and then asking for money, I was in Dallas (Rowlett, actually) two weekends ago gassing up at the Dalrock\I-30 Shell station when this fucker rolled up in a HHR on "rimz" and pulled the same act, except he was asking for me to put gas in his car. I WISH I had thought of your response at that very moment...

I'll relate this one story. Last year I am at HEB with a friend picking up some BBQ supplies. Let me preface the rest by saying, I live on the NW side of San Antonio, not a poor area of the city. We get in line to checkout and in front of us is this mixed race couple (hispanic woman and a black guy) with two kids in a grocery cart that probably has $500 worth in it. I looked close, nothing "cheap" or "healthy" in that cart. Almost all name brand shit. She busts out a Lone Star (welfare) card to pay for it...awesome. Let me make mention at this point in the story that these two are able-bodied people. No limps, casts, crutches, or readily apparent injuries. So we're walking out to the parking lot with our stuff and I see a late model Lexus RX350 parked in a handicapped space and I turn to my buddy and sarcastically say "Watch, they're gonna get in that fucking Lexus in the handicapped spot and I'm gonna fucking LMAO". We cross one aisle of parking spaces as we angle a little further out toward my car which is parked toward the back ('cause, yeah, I'm that guy). I look to my right at the front of this aisle we're crossing and I see a VERY late model Range Rover on 26's (swear to God) parked in the handicapped spots up front. I turn to my buddy and sarcastically say "No, wait, if they get in that fucking Range Rover, I'm gonna lose it." We keep walking. I glance over my right shoulder again as we get closer to my car. YEP! You can guess what happened. THEY PARKED THE CART AT THE BACK OF THE RR AND START LOADING. Not a month later, on another trip to the same store, we see them again in the same spot in the same parking lot with the same RR with the same kids and $500 grocery cart loading that RR parked in a handicapped spot.

So, no, I don't "donate" to panhandlers.

Last edited by davis449; 06-04-2014 at 07:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 06:24 PM   #62
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post
They're all over Denver when I go there to see my parents. Much like the NW U.S. the state and city tolerate\encourage it so, according to my mother, they flock there.
Yeah, I've seen significantly more panhandlers in Denver, especially downtown over the last few years. Many of them are scammers and won't get a dime from me.
      06-03-2014, 06:40 PM   #63
808@702
8th BMW, 520th Surfboard
Rep
Drives: My girlfriends crazy!

I once had a kid come up to me at a gas station and say "hey I ran out of gas, can you help"? I said "really, you ran out of gas at a gas station? That's pretty convenient". My point is the kid panhandles for gas for his car...
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 06:52 PM   #64
rjpeaks
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport 6pd

its like friends who talk alot.

Don't make eye contact.
      06-04-2014, 01:28 AM   #65
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
I do different parts to help the homeless. I've donated hundreds to 501(c)(3) NPO's and volunteered building a house for Habitat for Humanity... But I only give handouts if there are exigent circumstances, like someone who is missing a leg and on crutches or standing out in the soaking rain...

Other than that, keep dreaming. Sorry to sound cruel, but although it takes more balls to go up and ask people for money than say, waiting at the Social Services office or even picking trash for recyclables and earning their money, but it's also the most weakest way to "make a living"...

Even worse are those who seem ungrateful, who just give you a dirty look and stick out their cup like you owe them something, the one guy who leaned on my car until I gave him money, or even worse... This guy on an electric wheelchair who damned near caused an accident darting out in front of my car at the last minute and causing me to slam brakes, didn't say a word and shoved his hand into the open window. I said "Really? You expect me to reward bad behavior? Get outta here!" but the guy just kept his stance. I reluctantly pulled $0.50 that I was going to use for a parking meter, but he just said "not enough" and threw it in my face. Ever since then, I've lost faith in panhandlers.

...Or you gotta love the people that head onto a buss, yell out their situation and walk down the aisle with an empty drink cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukicabuki View Post
Come to Portland. The liberal idiots in this city welcome the homeless with open arms. In fact, Las Vegas got caught busing homeless people to us a year or two ago. We have a large amount of social services and a mild climate so they flock here. During the summer there are panhandlers on just about every corner of downtown. Most of our homeless aren't people with mental issues (yes there are this type too), rather Portland attracts the homeless youth population in large numbers. This group embraces the lifestyle and chooses to live this way. The stay in groups and can get very aggressive (safety in numbers probably) when people do something they don't like (which can be as little as ignoring them). I've seen them follow women for blocks harassing them and threatening them. They'll keep it up until they either get money from them or others step in (I've done this several times). I've seen them throw rocks at nice cars that get stopped by them on freeway exit ramps when they don't give them money. The list goes on and on. Anytime the city tries to do anything about it, the libtards in this city cry foul and run the rescue of the less fortunate that cannot possibly help themselves. It's ludicrous.

On another note.....
I have a friend in Orange County who, during the summer her and her girlfriends who are incredibly hot, would dress shitty and make themselves look destitute. Then they would go down to the beach and hang out for the day panhandling. Basically they would spend the day at the beach hanging out begging for money. They would bring home $500-700 a day (each one of them) when they did this.
My dad lived in Portland, and some of the stories he told me sounded too bad to be true until I went up to visit him once... He told me that there is such a thing as "foxtails", where folks literally pin tails to their pants and lose track with humanity and act like animals, or how like you said, other people are sending them by the masses by train or buses just to get rid of them since Adams welcomed them with open arms, and the police can't/won't do anything since Wapato was a flop, Adams was a softie, and therefore there's nowhere to put anyone with minor offenses, so the best you can do is tell them to F-off unless they attack you.

So, still skeptical, well... He used to work at Pioneer Square... Since he didn't drive and I'm only flying up for the weekend, I have never had so many encounters at once in my life... So, I get on the MAX from Lombard TC, there's 2 people harassing me. I get off the train, THREE people practically block the door with their hands out, I walk down the street and pretend to be on the phone, but one guy poked me on the shoulder with an upturned hat, and once I finally arrived 300 feet later, another dude asking for money... Not to mention since the nook is practically the perfect size, he had to shoo away some dude sleeping in the doorway every morning and often rinse away stale piss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808@702 View Post
I once had a kid come up to me at a gas station and say "hey I ran out of gas, can you help"? I said "really, you ran out of gas at a gas station? That's pretty convenient". My point is the kid panhandles for gas for his car...
Most of the times those are scams, especially since it mostly warrants more funds per transaction than $.50 here and $1.00 here for other forms of panhandling. Usually I tell them to put their money where their mouth is, and if they start giving me a BS excuse, then I know that they're trying to fool me.
::THE MACHETE::

Last edited by NEFARIOUS; 06-04-2014 at 01:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 11:57 AM   #66
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFARIOUS View Post
My dad lived in Portland, and some of the stories he told me sounded too bad to be true until I went up to visit him once... He told me that there is such a thing as "foxtails", where folks literally pin tails to their pants and lose track with humanity and act like animals, or how like you said, other people are sending them by the masses by train or buses just to get rid of them since Adams welcomed them with open arms, and the police can't/won't do anything since Wapato was a flop, Adams was a softie, and therefore there's nowhere to put anyone with minor offenses, so the best you can do is tell them to F-off unless they attack you.

So, still skeptical, well... He used to work at Pioneer Square... Since he didn't drive and I'm only flying up for the weekend, I have never had so many encounters at once in my life... So, I get on the MAX from Lombard TC, there's 2 people harassing me. I get off the train, THREE people practically block the door with their hands out, I walk down the street and pretend to be on the phone, but one guy poked me on the shoulder with an upturned hat, and once I finally arrived 300 feet later, another dude asking for money... Not to mention since the nook is practically the perfect size, he had to shoo away some dude sleeping in the doorway every morning and often rinse away stale piss.

Damn, and I thought some of the panhandlers in Denver were pushy. They take it to another level in Portland.