E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > College Honors Question

06-25-2006, 07:12 AM   #23
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabutes
They do not round up. A 3.4999 will still be counted as a 3.49.

A bunch of BS in my opinion...
That's 'cause most of the personnel in the offices that calculate GPAs flunked math and don't know 3.4999 rounds to 3.5 for one significant digit, 3.50 for two, but 3 for no significant digits.

Hopefully none of these type did stress calculations (or any others mind you) on my car's design.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2006, 08:23 AM   #24
KennyVendetta
Salsero
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 Crimson Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki
Not fair! Well whatever, no matter what I end up getting I can still round up to the nearest thenth on my resume and it will look fine I guess.
Employers do not generally at G.P.A. when screen your resume. It is the interview that really gets you the job anyway. Interpersonal skills and the ability to solve problems are things they usually look for.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2006, 10:04 AM   #25
BeeEmDubU
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 325i

GPA doesnt mean everything, but i know some employers (usually ones that recruit straight from college) use it as an indication on how hard working you are
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2006, 10:56 AM   #26
BDougl01
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Florida Atlantic University- where I go
Lynn University- private
Palm Beach Community College
and a few art/design schools.
I only went to Lynn for two years...actually do grad school there now
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2006, 12:02 PM   #27
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

I'm surprised at the responses here. I would like to know though if they would care at all that I graduated in 3 years? I mean I could graduate in 5 years and get a 4.0 lol but I want to get out of here so I'm cramming it all in. I'm not going to med school, I'm amarketing major. I plan on getting my Master's but after I get my first job.

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2006, 01:08 PM   #28
Greeney
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jerez E90 M3

I actually was down there in April and looked at FAU and Lynn. Yes im only a senior in High School. Lynn was awefully small haha.
      06-25-2006, 02:41 PM   #29
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i MSport

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm surprised at the responses here. I would like to know though if they would care at all that I graduated in 3 years? I mean I could graduate in 5 years and get a 4.0 lol but I want to get out of here so I'm cramming it all in. I'm not going to med school, I'm amarketing major. I plan on getting my Master's but after I get my first job.
I wouldn't see how graduating early would make that much of a difference. There are many accelerated colleges offering programs from 2-3 years so not that uncommon. The quicker you finish the quicker you can start your master's. Good Luck!
      06-25-2006, 03:15 PM   #30
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

Quote:
not trying to downplay your accomplishments, getting out in 3 years is great! (hell it took me 5 1/2 years to get through.. engineering at my school needed about 30 extra credits in the quarter system compared to many other majors, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!)

the grad school idea is a great one, if you can swing it at all it'll be easier to just keep going to school. Once you're out in the workplace it'll be really hard to go back to school.

we're just telling you that your GPA means about as much as being homecoming queen....... it's your work ethic that gets you places, and getting through in 3 years shows a pretty good work ethic in my book
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2006, 05:50 PM   #31
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

I can't force myself to stay in school any longer, I need to go out and get a job in a year. But I know that I will definitely go back for my Master's once I get a job because I always set my goals and am quite ambitious at attaining them. I will do whatever it takes to become related in sort sort of automotive related marketing and my goal at the moment is for it eventually be for BMW, even if it means moving to Jersey and enduring that snow again (ee it makes me shiver).

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2006, 07:19 PM   #32
Greeney
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jerez E90 M3

Quote:
I can't force myself to stay in school any longer, I need to go out and get a job in a year. But I know that I will definitely go back for my Master's once I get a job because I always set my goals and am quite ambitious at attaining them. I will do whatever it takes to become related in sort sort of automotive related marketing and my goal at the moment is for it eventually be for BMW, even if it means moving to Jersey and enduring that snow again (ee it makes me shiver).
Ohh Come on you know you love it up here!
      06-25-2006, 07:27 PM   #33
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

I love everything about CT except for the snow.

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2006, 11:20 AM   #34
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

I graduated in 3.5 years majoring in Molecular Biology. Didn't mean jack. Sorry to burst your bubble but what are you going to say on your resume - "graduated in 3 years" oooooh, ahhhhhhh...

What counts is prior work experience and if you have none, it'll be quite a task finding your first job lest it be one which will fully satisfy your monetary and/or duty expectations. Start interning or working part-time in a year or two before you graduate.
      06-26-2006, 12:50 PM   #35
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

Hmm, UNC MBA program says:

Quote:
Work Experience
We recommend a minimum of two years of full-time work experience

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2006, 12:56 PM   #36
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Start looking for a job, then! Interesting to see how an MBA program would require work experience, though. That's odd. I don't see how working 2 full years at McDonald's would fulfill the requirement relative to someone interning part-time for 2 years at Coleman & Sachs.
      06-26-2006, 01:04 PM   #37
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

Yeah it's weird. I looked at the Graduate school for North Carolina State and they also require two years work experience. Darn. Is anyone familiar with the graduate schools in North Carolina? I know that UNC is a very highly ranked university especially for being public but I don't know much about any of the other universities in the area.

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2006, 01:30 PM   #38
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah it's weird. I looked at the Graduate school for North Carolina State and they also require two years work experience. Darn. Is anyone familiar with the graduate schools in North Carolina? I know that UNC is a very highly ranked university especially for being public but I don't know much about any of the other universities in the area.
There is also Duke, East Carolina, Clemson SC. Deoending on the employer some will count school especially graduate school as experience. My wife went to school after school and had no experience but the time spent in school helps atleast for the federal government.
      06-26-2006, 01:33 PM   #39
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

I need two years experience to get into grad school, not to get a job.

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2006, 01:35 PM   #40
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
I need two years experience to get into grad school, not to get a job.
I guess you better find an intern position.
      06-26-2006, 01:36 PM   #41
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

They also require that you are a full-time graduate student and its a 20 month program.

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2006, 03:23 PM   #42
cpcollin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
They also require that you are a full-time graduate student and its a 20 month program.
All the top tier, fulltime b-school programs are going to either implicitly or explicitly require at least two years of working experience. In fact, two is on the low end. I believe the average incoming MBA student at Kenan-Flagler (UNC) is somewhere in the four to five year neighborhood. The occasional superstar will get in to these programs with little to no work experience, but it's the exception and not the rule.

If you want some good insight into the admissions process, spend some time on the businessweek b-school forums. You'll generally find that GMAT scores, work experience, the interview process and essays are far more important than GPA (within a reasonable range of course - i.e. a low gpa can hurt you more than a high gpa will help).

ED 2006 330i --- SG,Black,Walnut / MT / ZSP / ZPP / Hot Seats / Flux Capacitor
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2006, 03:25 PM   #43
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

Hmm, thanks. Well I would like to get a job first anyways, but more and more people were telling me to go straight to grad school so I figured that I would look it up. I'd like to get some experience and figure out where I want to be. Right now North Carolina is looking good but I won't know until I'm actually looking in a year.

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2006, 03:31 PM   #44
cpcollin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Hmm, thanks. Well I would like to get a job first anyways, but more and more people were telling me to go straight to grad school so I figured that I would look it up. I'd like to get some experience and figure out where I want to be. Right now North Carolina is looking good but I won't know until I'm actually looking in a year.
Gotcha. I did a fulltime mba program after working for 3 years and I definitely felt young among my peers. The insight that is brought into the classroom, projects, recruiting, etc, from yours and your classmates' diverse and varied experiences contributes immeasurably to the learning environment. Also, b-school (as a particular form of grad school) is very much about relationships, networking, and serving as a springboard into a particular industry. Various firms recruit at various schools, and various schools are known for different strengths. Look into where your top desired employers recruit, and target those schools. For marketing, Kellogg (Northwestern) has a great reputation.

ED 2006 330i --- SG,Black,Walnut / MT / ZSP / ZPP / Hot Seats / Flux Capacitor
Appreciate 0