E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > BMW supports SOPA?

01-10-2012, 02:26 AM   #1
kooper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 (I wish)

BMW supports SOPA?

Hi all

Apologies beforehand if this is posted in the wrong section or has been posted already. I feel it's a very important issue though, so I'm posting here in the hopes it gets the attention it deserves.

Just been over on jalopnik.com and, supposedly, the BMW Group supports SOPA? I've not seen any statement from BMW itself either confirming or denying this, but if they are I'd be very, very disappointed.

Does anyone perhaps know anything more about this? I'm hoping for something official.

Again, apologies if this horse has been beaten to death elsewhere already.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 07:23 AM   #2
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
so let me get this straight...

you are disappointed that bmw does not support users like us using copyrighted software which was obtained for free (illegally) to profit?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 07:35 AM   #3
kooper
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by express705 View Post
so let me get this straight...

you are disappointed that bmw does not support users like us using copyrighted software which was obtained for free (illegally) to profit?
Not sure what you mean by your "us". I would be disappointed if their official stance is supporting SOPA, which if passed could threaten user-based sites (reddit being one), open-source software (which I'm a big fan of) and net neutrality. EDIT: Among other things.

How would I not be disappointed?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 07:42 AM   #4
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kooper View Post
Not sure what you mean by your "us". I would be disappointed if their official stance is supporting SOPA, which if passed could threaten user-based sites (reddit being one), open-source software (which I'm a big fan of) and net neutrality. EDIT: Among other things.

How would I not be disappointed?
while i remain neutral on the subject, you should be able to understand BMW's point of view on the matter and their reasons for supporting it.

not saying you dont, but if you know how these acts/bills work, you will understand that it will be changed a handful of times if it even stays alive.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 07:47 AM   #5
kooper
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by express705 View Post
while i remain neutral on the subject, you should be able to understand BMW's point of view on the matter and their reasons for supporting it.

not saying you dont, but if you know how these acts/bills work, you will understand that it will be changed a handful of times if it even stays alive.
I'd still like to know what their official stance is regarding all this. If they do support it, then from my point of view they support it in it's current format.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #6
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

As someone who makes their living developing software and has done such for almost 30 years there's a ton of smoke screen with the current SOPA initiatives. All the internet based content providers obviously are not going to buy off on this. The Open source adopters and providers have an alternative already in Congress and backed by certain house reps which allows them to continue in their current business models.

As to who will prevail, My money is one the open source initiative as it's far less limiting, will be eventually backed by the big software providers (they control the industry by shear dollars and volume not content or features).

As a developer who constantly battles with issues revolving around offshore intiatives, projects and costs. I'd love to see something that not only retains and solidifies the rights of not only software developers but all digital content period. I say hang tight and see where this goes as it's way too early to adopt an aproach on anything.

BTW I've seen these same issues and initiatives so many times, in many different forms, over the last 30 years that is does not surprise me that the arguement is still out there. If you really want to affect the issue your congressman is where to start and check out what they are calling the Open Act for, IMO, a closer to reality version. I hardly would condemn a company for supporting either version either way right now. It's simply a business statement.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 12:42 PM   #7
cloakster
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 VW GLI

For companies that are not affected by piracy, I could care less how they stand on the SOPA issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 02:10 PM   #8
lucas.kent
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
I won't delve into the subject of the pros and cons of SOPA itself, but as for your question, I have two thoughts.

First, a quick search produced this letter of companies that support SOPA: http://www.theglobalipcenter.com/sit...letter-359.pdf

I don't see BMW listed, and the letter is relatively recent (Sept, 2011).

Second, while a company can sign their name to a letter in support of something, perhaps the more significant issue is whether or not they are engaged in lobbying on behalf of the issue. You can find lobbying reports, as reported to the House Clerk and Secretary of the Senate, here: http://soprweb.senate.gov/index.cfm?event=choosefields

A quick search of BMW should produce their lobbying reports for the past several years.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 03:34 PM   #9
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkw15 View Post

First, a quick search produced this letter of companies that support SOPA: http://www.theglobalipcenter.com/sit...letter-359.pdf

Notice lot of photographers on that list, they just hate people going home and scanning the family photo and handing it out to families and friends.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 12:44 AM   #10
kooper
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm quite a bit concerned that PIPA/SOPA stands a good chance of getting passed which, even though I'm not a US citizen, I think has a very real chance of changing the internet landscape for the worse, if not more than just that.

Could be that I'm overly paranoid, in which case I appreciate the thoughtful responses here even more.

Anyways, I guess we'll probably find out how all this is going to play out in the next couple of days (I understand some websites are planning complete blackouts on certain dates to oppose it).
Fetching the popcorn as we speak.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 08:41 AM   #11
lucas.kent
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kooper View Post
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm quite a bit concerned that PIPA/SOPA stands a good chance of getting passed which, even though I'm not a US citizen, I think has a very real chance of changing the internet landscape for the worse, if not more than just that.

Could be that I'm overly paranoid, in which case I appreciate the thoughtful responses here even more.

Anyways, I guess we'll probably find out how all this is going to play out in the next couple of days (I understand some websites are planning complete blackouts on certain dates to oppose it).
Fetching the popcorn as we speak.
If it is any cosolation, most controversial bills are not voted on during an election year. As we get closer to November, this becomes even more true.

IMO, I think the uprising over this bill in particular is enough for several members to question whether or not taking up such an issue is prudent when they are trying to get reelected. And if they don't take it up this session, they'll have to take up at the beginning of the next session (the 113th Congress) which, could have an entirely different make up, with all kinds of additional dynamics.

Not saying it couldn't happen, but at this point I think it is an uphill battle.
Appreciate 0