E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > HELP! - 335d Diesel Ops Tune

04-17-2024, 10:31 PM   #1
ShadowFleet
Registered
Rep
Drives: E28, E30, E36/8, E46, E90, E93

Question HELP! - 335d Diesel Ops Tune

Hi everyone,

I’m new here, but not new to BMWs. Very excited to be a part of this community, but I’m hoping for some help!

I just recently acquired a 2011 335d that had the computer tuned by Diesel Ops, a company I understand is no longer in operation. I’m told the car has a “stage 4 tune” with EGR delete, DEF delete, aftermarket downpipe, and stainless steel exhaust straight back. Supposedly the tune increases boost to 45psi (among other things) but I cannot confirm.

I tried to take the car on the highway, the dash said “service engine soon,” suddenly the screen said “engine malfunction,” the RPMs dropped to zero and I had to pull over. I waited a few minutes, restarted the car, drove home on backroads and had no further issues. All warning lights went away. Previous owner said the car may be in limp mode, but didn’t know why - said it could have been ABS or speed sensor related.

My first question is, can anyone tell me how I can find out exactly what tune was done to this car? I realize the company is no longer in business, but I wonder if anyone here has experience with them. I also heard they may have shipped the computers to a company in Canada? But I’m literally clueless here.

Additionally, I don’t want to take the car to the dealer since it has been modified to this degree and would hate to inadvertently lose the tune. Can anyone give me some first steps on what I should do to diagnose and eventually repair whatever might be wrong with it, considering that the computer has been modified?

Thank you so much for your time and consideration, I appreciate any insight you can provide!

Last edited by ShadowFleet; 04-17-2024 at 10:32 PM.. Reason: Formatting
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 08:40 AM   #2
maryjane
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Msport 3 Snail.

Tuning

Afaik.....they were Malone tuning affiliated....Malone is still in business so try reaching out to them with VIN. As far as latest ISSUE get yourself an android phone/tablet with a bimmergeeks or thor odb2 dongle, download protools and get the codes, without the codes you are literally guessing.
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2024, 10:59 AM   #3
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Stage 4 tune without upgraded turbos? Highly unlikely.

You probably have Malone 2.9 and people have had fueling issues when really getting on it.

Scan for codes?
      04-18-2024, 12:59 PM   #4
ShadowFleet
Registered
Rep
Drives: E28, E30, E36/8, E46, E90, E93

Wow, thank you so much maryjane and lnxguy! You are both absolutely right!

I looked up Malone Tuning, which took me to a Tunezilla page, contacted them and they found that my car had a Stage 2.9 tune with deletes (EGR, DPF, Throttle Valve, SCR and Swirl Valve) done about 3 years ago.

So scan tools will still work despite the tune? That’s great news. I will take your advice maryjane and lnxguy, I’ll get the diagnostic tool and report back here with codes.

I deeply appreciate your insight, thanks again, stay tuned! (No pun intended)
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 08:31 AM   #5
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Shadowfleet, for those of us that have iPhones, Protools isn't compatible. I got a used Foxwell for reading codes for $100. Protools works with Android.

Absolutely, you can read codes with a tuned DDE. Good luck!
Appreciate 0