E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > ESPN pulls Robert Lee from Virginia broadcast...

08-23-2017, 01:44 PM   #23
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
I can read quite well, and I'm not surprised by your statements. Go cry somewhere else, yourself, snowflake.
Name calling is a tell tale sign you lost the argument already. Just sayin.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 01:48 PM   #24
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Twenty-one posts in and not a single one with accurate facts.

ESPN was worried about a relatively new announcer having his name and ethnicity become the story and the potential impacts on him of it becoming a sideshow especially considering how low profile he is and early in his network career. They approached him and asked him if he would like to switch assignments in light of what happened in Charlottesville. He, in turn, took them up on the option.

FFS people ... stop seeing evil behind everything. In this case, this was ESPN being sensitive to situation that might be uncomfortable for the employee (who was incidentally assigned another equal profile game on the same ESPN subnetwork). Since when is being a conscientious employer something to be ridiculed?

Not everything is left/right, liberal/conservative, fake news/MSM. etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 01:49 PM   #25
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep
Drives: 612 Scaglietti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Name calling is a tell tale sign you lost the argument already. Just sayin.
That's their only retort. Instead of having something intellectual to counter with, it always ends up with their oppressor being a snowflake, which is ironic. Nothing new here.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 02:01 PM   #26
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
Twenty-one posts in and not a single one with accurate facts.

ESPN was worried about a relatively new announcer having his name and ethnicity become the story and the potential impacts on him of it becoming a sideshow especially considering how low profile he is and early in his network career. They approached him and asked him if he would like to switch assignments in light of what happened in Charlottesville. He, in turn, took them up on the option.

FFS people ... stop seeing evil behind everything. In this case, this was ESPN being sensitive to situation that might be uncomfortable for the employee (who was incidentally assigned another equal profile game on the same ESPN subnetwork). Since when is being a conscientious employer something to be ridiculed?

Not everything is left/right, liberal/conservative, fake news/MSM. etc.
or, the fact that they even considered this an issue speaks volumes to how hyper sensitive everyone is becoming over shit that shouldn't be an issue.....
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 02:45 PM   #27
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

I honestly believe this is a ploy to increase their ratings. Their numbers have been down significantly. They fired several of their so-called analysts a few months ago. And now someone there decided to pull this PR stunt.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 03:08 PM   #28
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
I honestly believe this is a ploy to increase their ratings. Their numbers have been down significantly. They fired several of their so-called analysts a few months ago. And now someone there decided to pull this PR stunt.
And the hilarious part is that their numbers are down specifically because they've gotten so political as of late.

They're already in a hole, but rather than stop digging, they decided to grab a bigger shovel.
      08-23-2017, 03:13 PM   #29
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
I personally think this closer to the truth than anything else.

It is like some Women Dr who was dying from some rare disease in my area and her family and friend made a request to have her buried in a US military veterans cemetery, they got the local congressman involved letter writing campaigns only to have the VA say no. In the end it was PR stunt to bring attention to the Disease she had, a go fund me site went up after all this. I am so tired of all the PR stunts everyone is pulling to get some notice.
Appreciate 1
TXSTYLE13851.00
      08-23-2017, 03:38 PM   #30
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep

Quote:
The only thing ESPN has to offer is when they actually air a sports event. Everything else is trash, no insight that people can't formulate on their own if they're a general fan or in fantasy league/etc. And, for the people who don't regularly watch sports, would probably be dumbfounded by the other programming. Pardon the interruption is a good example.

Your statement is believable, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was a stunt to try and paint them in a good light and attempt to pick up some ratings. Only thing is, most normal people wouldn't care if ESPN solved world hunger, it still sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
And the hilarious part is that their numbers are down specifically because they've gotten so political as of late.

They're already in a hole, but rather than stop digging, they decided to grab a bigger shovel.
ESPN has been garbage for such a long time I can't recall the last time I've turned it on for anything other than a particular sport event, and then change the channel during intermissions of course.
Appreciate 1
TXSTYLE13851.00
      08-23-2017, 04:04 PM   #31
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

You do know that most people just aren't spending their days cooking up conspiracy theories, do you?

We don't get ESPN (although we get a fair bit of their programming on various Canadian platforms) so I don't know whether they've gone to shit or not, but really ... you think they spend their time thinking up a play like this to drive viewership on an OTT broadcast that will also air on a few local affiliates that don't even belong to ABC/Disney/ESPN? The viewpoint is nonsensical.

ESPN did exactly what any HR professional or labour and employment counsel would have advised them. They had a situation where an employee might get targeted or bullied and they reached out to him. It's called being a good employer (in this case) and the criticism they're getting is absurd.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 04:06 PM   #32
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axius View Post
Well you must clearly be illiterate, because none of what you said was mentioned, nor did I post a crying emoticon?

Snowflake? Quite the vocabulary you have there! Can't say I've never heard that one used before. Very original, and classy

Lastly, I take it you have nothing that has any face value to add to the topic still? I hear you loud and clear buddy.
Clearly touched a nerve with you, judging by the attention you dedicated to posting.

Bottom line: no matter how extreme an act (to the left or right) someone/some group does, there will always be someone that defends it, or tries to explain it away.

Once again, thank you, thank you very much, for proving my point.
      08-23-2017, 04:09 PM   #33
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep

No, I thought everyone sat at home thinking of conspiracy theories all day...., (obviously a joke)

It can happen. Doesn't mean it's the case, but people pull stunts to get attention in every day life, same goes for corporations. Nobody knows the truth but ESPN and Robert E Lee. Err...., did they say his middle initial? E would be pretty damn coincidental.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 04:11 PM   #34
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
You do know that most people just aren't spending their days cooking up conspiracy theories, do you?

We don't get ESPN (although we get a fair bit of their programming on various Canadian platforms) so I don't know whether they've gone to shit or not, but really ... you think they spend their time thinking up a play like this to drive viewership on an OTT broadcast that will also air on a few local affiliates that don't even belong to ABC/Disney/ESPN? The viewpoint is nonsensical.

ESPN did exactly what any HR professional or labour and employment counsel would have advised them. They had a situation where an employee might get targeted or bullied and they reached out to him. It's called being a good employer (in this case) and the criticism they're getting is absurd.
I disagree.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 04:11 PM   #35
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep

Quote:
Clearly touched a nerve with you, judging by the attention you dedicated to posting.

Bottom line: no matter how extreme an act (to the left or right) someone/some group does, there will always be someone that defends it, or tries to explain it away.

Once again, thank you, thank you very much, for proving my point.
Attention? That post took about 3 seconds to spew off before I started clicking on pictures of Mia Kunis.

Bottom line: You can have multiple perspectives on a single event, because it's all personal speculation.

Once again, point not proven. Please provide another rebuttal. Or, like originally requested, your standpoint on the event.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 04:13 PM   #36
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

If you honestly think ESPNs actions in this case in any way, shape, or form were justified, you, my friend, are part of the problem.
Eternal94.50
      08-23-2017, 04:15 PM   #37
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABAUKE View Post
I disagree.
Congratulations. I'm happy for you.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 04:15 PM   #38
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:

Totally disagree. Removing the announcer was absurd and catering to a vocal few. The more they get their way over silly things like this, the more they will demand. Ridiculous!!
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 1
lakefront560.50
      08-23-2017, 04:17 PM   #39
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep

Quote:
If you honestly think ESPNs actions in this case in any way, shape, or form were justified, you, my friend, are part of the problem.
Again, I said it was a stupid decision on ESPN's part. I don't know how I can write this any clearer for the second time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
Totally disagree. Removing the announcer was absurd and catering to a vocal few. The more they get their way over silly things like this, the more they will demand. Ridiculous!!
It was dumb, on many levels. If anything they should have let the guy do his job and if people wanted to bitch about it, let them. Worse case scenario they burn down ESPN headquarters, which is a motion I think we all can stand behind.

Maybe next we can send them to Comcast!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 04:18 PM   #40
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:

No it's called being a PC idiot and caving in to morons. You would have to be truly retarded to think that this Asian man is some how linked to the confederate general. Maybe Bruce Lee was Robert E Lee's cousin.
Appreciate 1
SakhirM410784.50
      08-23-2017, 04:23 PM   #41
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Anyome who would get triggered because this guys name is Robert Lee needs to be put in a padded cell asap.
Appreciate 3
RABAUKE4658.00
Mandi90TT2712.00
SakhirM410784.50
      08-23-2017, 04:26 PM   #42
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Congratulations. I'm happy for you.
No need to be like that, you were giving me a lecture, on which I disagree. I don't FTR believe that ESPN were being a good employer, I believe that they were over reacting to the events in Charlottesville, and from what I see in the media the vast majority is reporting on the ridicule being directed at ESPN for their position.
Appreciate 1
SakhirM410784.50
      08-23-2017, 04:28 PM   #43
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
Anyome who would get triggered because this guys name is Robert Lee needs to be put in a padded cell asap.
Agreed, ESPN over reacted as many businesses/universities/governments etc tend to do lately. I don't believe for a minute that HR or counsel would advise them that this was the right direction.
Appreciate 1
SakhirM410784.50
      08-23-2017, 04:34 PM   #44
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABAUKE View Post
No need to be like that, you were giving me a lecture, on which I disagree. I don't FTR believe that ESPN were being a good employer, I believe that they were over reacting to the events in Charlottesville, and from what I see in the media the vast majority is reporting on the ridicule being directed at ESPN for their position.
Actually I wasn't lecturing you ... I am a little incredulous at the debate in general and am voicing it. My comments weren't directed at you in particular, but everyone who's misstating the facts or missing the point.

Employers have legal obligations to provide safe and respectful workplaces to all their employees. ESPN was not incorrect in assessing a potential risk and erring on the side of caution to ask the employee involved if they would like a different work assignment. They had liability and risk if they didn't. This is exactly my area of professional expertise and how I make my living.
Appreciate 0