E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > AK-47

04-28-2008, 08:01 PM   #1
andyffer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 700hp M3 - Interlagos E92

Garage List
AK-47

Does anybody own one or have recomendations? Im going to pick one up in the near future and want to know what are some good cheap priced ones

Less than $500 really less than $450

POST PICTURES IF YOU DO HAVE ONE
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 08:22 PM   #2
ChineseGuy
QuickShifter
Rep
Drives: Black E90

Why do you need one?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 08:24 PM   #3
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

At my local gun show a company called Ewbank (local company in AZ) seems to make the most talked about AK and I have heard nothing but good things about them.. They run $400+. I was going to pick one up but decided I had no use for it, if you have never shot an AK go do it, they are not accurate at all and in semi auto are basically worthless (I was able to shoot a full auto, but they run a heck of a lot of $$$), the entire point of the AK was to spray and pray since the Russians back in the day said most battlefield fighting takes place within 300 yards (Americans favored accurate guns aka the M16) and most soldiers are just for again lack of better words spraying and praying. Other than a novelty gun, your better off spending your money on an M1 (cheaper than an AR-15 and I think personally more fun, plus the M1 allows more time on the range than the other two that basically eat ammo like no other)
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 08:32 PM   #4
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChineseGuy View Post
Why do you need one?
+1 lol?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 08:33 PM   #5
ganeil
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Coupe

I am not a big fan of the AK in anything but field conditions. It is a great weapon in sandy or dirty environments but for range use it is junk.

The M1 is a great weapon and I really like the Ruger mini-14.

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 08:36 PM   #6
ThatsMrGq2U2
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i - On Order

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
A company by the name of CAI or Century Arms International http://www.centuryarms.biz/products.asp?cat=36 has a great AK-47 (WASR-10) 7.62x39 for cheap. There are no prices on there but i picked mine up for $300 at my local gun shop. Love it.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 08:37 PM   #7
andyffer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 700hp M3 - Interlagos E92

Garage List
I want one because they are so fun and look great. Plus classic. Fun to shoot.
I might make it full auto and pay what ever taxes and have them file it as a Class III weapon

thanks thatsmrgq2u2
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 09:34 PM   #8
hotsand5
hotsand5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i 6spd

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I know a guy...Ahhhkjed, he can hook it up. Cash only, no checks please! If you have no cash, he also takes gold, PS3's, and some sticky icky in exchange. Let me know if you need more info.

-2005 Yamaha Warrior 1700 102cu"
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 09:38 PM   #9
Gearcraft
misadventurer
Philippines
Rep
Drives: bubbie mystic blue whale

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewAZ View Post
At my local gun show a company called Ewbank (local company in AZ) seems to make the most talked about AK and I have heard nothing but good things about them.. They run $400+. I was going to pick one up but decided I had no use for it, if you have never shot an AK go do it, they are not accurate at all and in semi auto are basically worthless (I was able to shoot a full auto, but they run a heck of a lot of $$$), the entire point of the AK was to spray and pray since the Russians back in the day said most battlefield fighting takes place within 300 yards (Americans favored accurate guns aka the M16) and most soldiers are just for again lack of better words spraying and praying. Other than a novelty gun, your better off spending your money on an M1 (cheaper than an AR-15 and I think personally more fun, plus the M1 allows more time on the range than the other two that basically eat ammo like no other)
i heard the first shot is pretty accurate...
      04-28-2008, 09:46 PM   #10
BMdblU
Brigadier General
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyffer View Post
Does anybody own one or have recomendations? Im going to pick one up in the near future and want to know what are some good cheap priced ones

Less than $500 really less than $450

POST PICTURES IF YOU DO HAVE ONE

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 10:02 PM   #11
toofasttooslow
Galactic Emperor
Rep
Drives: Fast

IMHO you're better off with an SKS not an AK. The only advantage to an AK is when it's fully auto and you have a higher/better chance of hitting a target with the "spray and pray" method. SKS is an all around better weapon, more versitile and much more fun to shoot. Look into the Yugo's. They can be had for around $300.

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 10:04 PM   #12
speedgod
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335

The AK-47 is a fun gun to shoot and rugged in the dry environment I live in. My friend has one and I have shot it a few times. However, I enjoy shooting my RRA AR-15 more. The price of the AK can't be beat though. Any decent AR is going to cost you atleast $1k+ and there is very little maintenance on the AK-47's. I spend at least one hour cleaning my AR after each day out.

I think I will pick up an AK though. You really can't beat that price for fun. Make sure and get good ammo for it though.

Check out these guys www.impactguns.com

GL

-Taylor Knox
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 10:06 PM   #13
toofasttooslow
Galactic Emperor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyffer View Post
I want one because they are so fun and look great. Plus classic. Fun to shoot.
I might make it full auto and pay what ever taxes and have them file it as a Class III weapon

thanks thatsmrgq2u2
ATF forbids altering a semi auto assault rifle to make it fully auto. Big time illegal. If you wanted a fully auto you would need to jump through some hoops and then you would have to purchase a pre-ban auto file (circa 1986 I think). Since there aren't too many fully auto's that are on the legal market you'll pay a pretty penny. Of course there are always alternatives if you wish to not be legal about your purchase.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 10:08 PM   #14
nico335
Rep
n/a
Drives:

i dont know if this would or will be your first gun - but if it is, i wouldnt recommend it
i agree with speedgood though.... the rock river arms guns are great. check out their website
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 10:14 PM   #15
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
The original AK-47 (Russian) cannot be purchased anymore.
Actually, I don't believe you can even own one legally in the US.

Be carefull what kind you purchase. The country that makes the look a like AK depends on the quality of the rifle.
A while back, I went to a gun show and there were 2 AKs there made by 2 different countries. The first one was 750 and the second was 450.
They looked exactly the same.
The guy assured me that if I took them both out shooting, I would notice the differnece in the first 5 minutes.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 10:18 PM   #16
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
I love the AK.........in games
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 10:19 PM   #17
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gum5h03 View Post
If you wanted a fully auto you would need to jump through some hoops and then you would have to purchase a pre-ban auto file (circa 1986 I think). Since there aren't too many fully auto's that are on the legal market you'll pay a pretty penny.
Assault weapons ban expired a few years ago didn't it? Everything's legal now if you can afford it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 10:20 PM   #18
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Nah man they're overdone in games. Cliche at the least. (at Ska^)
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 10:20 PM   #19
toofasttooslow
Galactic Emperor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
The original AK-47 (Russian) cannot be purchased anymore.
Actually, I don't believe you can even own one legally in the US.
Yeah you can still own them, but there are a ton of stipulations. The current ones on the market are considered curio arms and cannot be modified legally to become fully auto. The ones left that are fully auto and that can legally be owned are few and far between - and thus pretty expensive.

"In the United States it is illegal to own a fully automatic AK-47, unless you procure the stamp tax and meet the proper requirements for such a firearm, which was not registered as a National Firearms Act weapon after 1986.[2]"
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 10:29 PM   #20
toofasttooslow
Galactic Emperor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
Assault weapons ban expired a few years ago didn't it? Everything's legal now if you can afford it.
He was talking about making a post-ban semi and making it full auto. You can't do that. The ATF won't allow any more auto's into the country and they won't allow any semi's to be made into full autos. There are still full autos on the market, just go to a gun show and you'll see them. They are a crap ton of money though because they are pretty rare.

Importation of NFA weapons was banned by the 1968 Gun Control Act which implemented a "sporting" clause. Only firearms judged by ATF to have feasible sporting applications can be imported for civilian use. Licensed manufacturers of NFA weapons may still, with the proper paperwork, import foreign NFA weapons for research and development purposes.

The manufacture of new machine guns that civilians could purchase was effectively banned by language in the Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986. The language is found in the so-called Hughes Amendment, which was passed under legally questionable circumstances.[8] All machine guns legally registered prior to the date of enactment (ie, May of 1986) are still legal for possession by and transfer among civilians where permitted by state law. The static and relatively small number of transferable automatic firearms has caused their price to be often over $10,000, although transferable M10 and M11 submachine guns (more commonly known as "Mac 10's") can still be purchased for around $3,500. Machine guns manufactured after the FOPA's enactment can be sold only to law enforcement and government agencies, exported, or in some cases held as inventory by licensed manufacturers and dealers. Non-transferrable guns made after 1986 are usually priced only a few hundred dollars more than their semi-automatic counterparts, whereas a machine gun that can be legally transferred commands a huge premium.

All other NFA weapons, which are not addressed in the Hughes Amendment, are still legal for manufacture by, and transfer to, civilians (though some states have their own laws governing which NFA weapons are legal to own there). Silencers and SBRs are generally the most popular NFA weapons among civilians, followed by SBSs, DDs, and AOWs. While most NFA weapons are bought from manufacturers and transferred to civilians through a Class 3 dealer, many are made by the civilians themselves after filing a Form 1 and paying the $200 manufacturing tax. In some cases the manufacture is simple (ie, using a pipe cutter to shorten a shotgun barrel), and sometimes quite complex (making an effective, modern silencer generally requires several thousand dollars' worth of machine tools).
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 10:34 PM   #21
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

I thought the assault weapons ban expiring meant you could have anything now, didn't realize there were import restrictions. I'm certain you can buy recent full auto guns though, how is that accomplished? (I'm a total noob in this area)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 10:51 PM   #22
speedgod
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
I thought the assault weapons ban expiring meant you could have anything now, didn't realize there were import restrictions. I'm certain you can buy recent full auto guns though, how is that accomplished? (I'm a total noob in this area)
You can buy anything you want. That is correct, it will cost a small fortune.
You will need a few different licenses and it will cost $2k for a full auto license, just to be able to purchase one. Most F/A's are going to cost you between $5k-$20k.
Also depending on your state laws you may not be able to get certain weapons. You should check with your local gun shop or check with the state restrictions.

GL

-Taylor Knox
Appreciate 0