E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Computer problem...

11-23-2007, 02:30 PM   #1
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

Question Computer problem...

Sometimes when I use my comp it makes a single ticking noise somewhere inside the tower. It sometimes happens a few times again, with a delay between the ticks. The delay can be 15 secs or 2 mins but either way the comp starts to freeze and has to be restarted if it doesnt already restart itself! Then when I the computer boots up it cant load windows from the harddrive and needs restarted again until it works.

What could it be? I was thinkng maybe the harddrive is corrupted or maybe something wrong with the power supply? not sure. I've had the problem on and off for the last two years. It wasnt happening for months but I istalled Vista a month ago and now it's happeining again. I dont think it's Vista related though because it happened when I was running XP Pro too.

Any help appreciated
      11-23-2007, 02:45 PM   #2
325 Baller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
It sounds like the harddrive, not sure what caused it or how to stop but its the HD
      11-23-2007, 02:48 PM   #3
iPodAddict
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hks786 View Post
Sometimes when I use my comp it makes a single ticking noise somewhere inside the tower. It sometimes happens a few times again, with a delay between the ticks. The delay can be 15 secs or 2 mins but either way the comp starts to freeze and has to be restarted if it doesnt already restart itself! Then when I the computer boots up it cant load windows from the harddrive and needs restarted again until it works.

What could it be? I was thinkng maybe the harddrive is corrupted or maybe something wrong with the power supply? not sure. I've had the problem on and off for the last two years. It wasnt happening for months but I istalled Vista a month ago and now it's happeining again. I dont think it's Vista related though because it happened when I was running XP Pro too.

Any help appreciated
How old is the hard-drive? Was there no ticking in the previous O/S's?

On another note:

FINALLY, after going through a virus attack, losing a hard drive, fighting off hackers, upgrading all my software, installing fire-walls, being threatened with being cut-off by my email provider, and a host of other problems... I have fixed my computer... and NOW it works exactly the way I want it to!

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2007, 03:47 PM   #4
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

Prob some software running in the background.

Open Windows task manager (contrl+alt+del) and click on processes - lists all software programs running.

You can download software to clean that up, or go to one of a number of different sites to help you identify what each one does. Google one of them to find one of those sites.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2007, 04:22 PM   #5
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

Thanks guys...

The HD is a Maxtor 120GB one and it's around 5 years old. It's been formatted a few times and even when I had XP Pro I had the ticking problem. Neurorad I thought that too and thought that perhaps it's something wrong with software I had installed with both O/S's but I've wiped my comp with Spybot, Spyware Doctor AND Zone Alarm. I think it might be something wrong with the HD like 325 Baller said. Hmmm....