E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Credit Fraud Alert: Check Your Statements!

04-16-2008, 05:02 PM   #1
TofuTurkey
Gobble gobbledygook
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi Coupe

Credit Fraud Alert: Check Your Statements!

Hey people,

I used to think that I check my credit statements pretty carefully, but not anymore. Today, I found this charge:

TLG*ELITEXC********APR (where ******* masks a "membership" number)

which I found suspicious. I googled it, and it brought me to a blog:
http://marc-bourassa.com/2005/05/04/...ar-slime-move/

and a lawsuit:
http://www.atg.wa.gov/pressrelease.aspx?&id=11860

Briefly, it was claimed by Elite Excursions that I had cashed a check from Chase, thereby automatically enrolling me in the former's services. The monthly fee is $19.99. Unfortunately for Elite Excursions, I had never signed nor cashed any of those checks. I am one of those paranoid people who shred every single piece of paper with my information on it, and I believe in earning my money the hard way.

I called Elite Excursions, and was able to obtain two months' refunds. I had to fax them a letter to try and get the rest (did that today). I also called and emailed Chase, who said that all they can do is to ask Elite Excursions to cancel the membership and return the monthly fees.

The blog above has entries by multiple people who were in a similar situation, over a period of a few years. Apparently this is not new as the lawsuit was filed in 2006 with a multi-state settlement with Chase and Trilegiant Corp. For some reason, the same kind of fraud is happening again.

I'm not asking you to believe what I said, nor to provide any kind of support. All I'm asking is that you check your statements, and let your family and friends know about this. In the blog, there is a single mother who is out $1500.

Finally, if there is any lawyer reading this and is interested in a lawsuit, I'm happy to provide inputs. I guess I'm doing this more out of curiosity than anything else

Take care, and check your statements
Appreciate 0