E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW Developing Laser Headlights to Replace LED In Future

11-15-2013, 05:44 PM   #45
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i Cabrio

Garage List
monochromatic... Doesn't that mean that if you shine light of the same wavelength at this light, it will cancel and effectively have no light shining?
2008 128i E88 / Alpine White / Boston Leather Sport / 6AT / M3 Paddle Shifters / Bilstein B8 / H&R Springs / Dinan Fixed Camber Plates / BMW 335i Front Brakes / PIAA Xtreme White 4150K Angel Eyes / Rear Fogs Enabled / Cyba Air Scoops / Euro Airbox / BMW Performance Exhaust / Stubby BMW Antenna
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 05:32 PM   #46
BenArcher
Rep
Drives: MG 125i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj.rodriguez View Post
monochromatic... Doesn't that mean that if you shine light of the same wavelength at this light, it will cancel and effectively have no light shining?
Not exactly, it means all the light has the same wavelength so if two photons are 180 degrees out of phase with each other they will cancel out. Now lasers have another property which is that the light created all has the same phase so if you shine one at a reflective surface that was perfectly flat and the distance was such that it caused the reflected light to be at a 180 degree phase shift it would cancel.

In practice because light wavelengths are very short and surfaces are not perfectly flat you get Speckle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speckle_pattern) which isn't full cancellation but is quite horrible to look at.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2013, 10:15 AM   #47
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i Cabrio

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenArcher View Post
Not exactly, it means all the light has the same wavelength so if two photons are 180 degrees out of phase with each other they will cancel out. Now lasers have another property which is that the light created all has the same phase so if you shine one at a reflective surface that was perfectly flat and the distance was such that it caused the reflected light to be at a 180 degree phase shift it would cancel.

In practice because light wavelengths are very short and surfaces are not perfectly flat you get Speckle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speckle_pattern) which isn't full cancellation but is quite horrible to look at.
Ahh yes. I understand now. Thanks for the clarification. I've only taken an introduction university course on electromagnetism, optics, light, and modern physics, so I'm no expert by any means!

Thanks again
2008 128i E88 / Alpine White / Boston Leather Sport / 6AT / M3 Paddle Shifters / Bilstein B8 / H&R Springs / Dinan Fixed Camber Plates / BMW 335i Front Brakes / PIAA Xtreme White 4150K Angel Eyes / Rear Fogs Enabled / Cyba Air Scoops / Euro Airbox / BMW Performance Exhaust / Stubby BMW Antenna
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 09:55 AM   #48
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesjjj View Post
Next up, BMW stack missile launcher and Gatling gun into 7 series to increase passenger safety
Knowing BMW, the system would be very advanced, but would jam all the time
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 08:50 PM   #49
Cacicgt7
Military Enforcer
Rep
Drives: 335i E90

Holy 2 year old thread bump.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 08:49 PM   #50
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacicgt7 View Post
Holy 2 year old thread bump.
Oddly enough I went to post this link and noticed the thread.

An article that came across my desk:

http://spectrum.ieee.org/green-tech/...ampaign=110613
Appreciate 0