E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Jay-Z: American Gangster

11-07-2007, 02:48 PM   #67
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_! View Post
Plus - and you know this - the number of people buying something has no bearing on the quality. In fact, the relationship is more likely to be inversely proportional.

A hundred million people can be listening to a hippo pass kidney stones and believe that to be music, that doesn't make it so.
so what is music... cause apparently your typing like you know what it is. i guess i don't know what music is...

i never said anything about people buying cds and quality, but sure popularity doesn't always mean quality... but then quality is all opinion.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 03:36 PM   #68
BaLLzZz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post
^Fab stays making love songs now because he knows it sells. Go look at older songs like Keep It Gangsta and Breathe...now that was vintage Fab.
Yes he sells his love songs and gives the gutta tracks too the streets all his mixtapes kill it. All his mainstream shit kills it. Hes just at the top right now.

01 e46 m54 - Current : 14 f10 n26 - Boring & Gone : 15 f30 n26 - Current : 08 e92 n54 - Gone & Missed!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 03:39 PM   #69
Expired
Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
You don't listen to real, talented artists, that's the problem.

Plenty of bands will do their best work live. The problem is that labels stopped scouting for talent and instead promote artists scraped off the sidewalk that suck so much they don't have to pay them and make up for the lack of talent with autotune processing.

Rap isn't music. It's what you do when you can't hold a job, you can't sing and your fingers are to stubby to pull a trigger for cash.

You don't know me so I won't hold it against you if you think I know shit about music.
I have to agree with pretty much everything you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kickz View Post
how is rap not music. haha your telling a hundred million people that what they're listening to isnt really music. you must be really smart to be making a statement like that
Reminds me of an M.S.I. song..
"You're telling me that fifty million screaming fans are never wrong
I'm telling you that fifty million screaming fans are fucking morons"

Quote:
Plus - and you know this - the number of people buying something has no bearing on the quality. In fact, the relationship is more likely to be inversely proportional.

A hundred million people can be listening to a hippo pass kidney stones and believe that to be music, that doesn't make it so.
True, it annoys me how a lot of people think 'noise' is genius and considered music. Just a bunch of random beats and notes, nothing else.

Most rap is terrible.. IMO if you cant reproduce something live that sounds just as good, then you aren't a real artist.

-Nathan
      11-07-2007, 03:50 PM   #70
uhaulball
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 330xi

i like beethoven, talk about tru hardcore.
      11-07-2007, 03:54 PM   #71
Expired
Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhaulball View Post
i like beethoven, talk about tru hardcore.
lol.. +1
I think 'Yo-Yo Ma' would destroy him though.
You should check out 'Yann Tiersen', I haven't heard a single song of his I don't like.
I think every song on the soundtrack to the movie 'Amelie' are his.

The closest thing I can think of to describe the feeling of listening to classical music while driving is..
I feel like a canon ball hurling down the road, and nothing can stop me.

-Nathan
      11-07-2007, 05:34 PM   #72
inabis
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Rap isn't music. It's what you do when you can't hold a job, you can't sing and your fingers are to stubby to pull a trigger for cash
Max_! in all honesty you are titled to your opinion. It's obvious that you don't like rap and that's just fine...but not all rappers are finger-snapping, dance making clowns. There are rappers out there who rap about current events and and convey positive messages through their music which brings me to me to my next point to say that your comment was ignorant as hell.

Quote:
You don't listen to real, talented artists, that's the problem. Plenty of bands will do their best work live. The problem is that labels stopped scouting for talent and instead promote artists scraped off the sidewalk that suck so much they don't have to pay them and make up for the lack of talent with autotune processing
You're making an assumption that all I listen to is rap, which is not the case. There are a lot of good singers/bands out there who may sound "good" live but they will never be on the same caliber of their cd. Linkin Park, U2, Oasis, Coldplay and even people who everyone knows can sing (i.e. Christina Aguilera) don't sound the same live. (I've never seen Christina live but I've seen her performances on TV same thing though). The only group that I've heard many people agree are better live is KISS and no I don't listen to them so I'm taking other people's word. Judging on their success I'd say they must have been pretty damn good.

Quote:
it annoys me how a lot of people think 'noise' is genius and considered music. Just a bunch of random beats and notes, nothing else.
It's funny I was having this same conversation with someone last week who was saying that techno wasn't real music....lmao...I guess it's all about your point of view...classical is some good stuff, I study best with it in the background...I like music from movie soundtracks as well, Danny Elfman makes some damn good music
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 06:01 PM   #73
renegade
Private
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

People still hate on rap that's funny to me....

but getting back on topic Jay-z : American Gangster

I think the album is a solid 4.5/5 mics...give it a minute (I've been listening to the bootleg for about a week 1/2 now) it'll grow on you. It's definitely a return to the 'streetz is watching' 'reasonable doubt' era Jay, even though he'll never completely reach that rhyme level again...The production is solid with grimy and soulful samples (fitting the movie inspiration) and the lyrics are still better than most of the other trash getting airplay so i'm satisfied.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 06:27 PM   #74
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expired View Post
I have to agree with pretty much everything you said.

Reminds me of an M.S.I. song..
"You're telling me that fifty million screaming fans are never wrong
I'm telling you that fifty million screaming fans are fucking morons"

True, it annoys me how a lot of people think 'noise' is genius and considered music. Just a bunch of random beats and notes, nothing else.

Most rap is terrible.. IMO if you cant reproduce something live that sounds just as good, then you aren't a real artist.

-Nathan
so my techno/trance/house/chillout isnt music... its just random noise that i consider music. step back and read what your writing... if its not music what is it? i mean im just curious cause you seem to be somewhat narrow minded when it comes to the meaning of music.

its funny how people always bring up the same cliche statement about how "just because the masses believe in this and that... doesnt make it true" we're talking about music here...

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 06:54 PM   #75
Expired
Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kickz View Post
so my techno/trance/house/chillout isnt music... its just random noise that i consider music. step back and read what your writing... if its not music what is it? i mean im just curious cause you seem to be somewhat narrow minded when it comes to the meaning of music.

its funny how people always bring up the same cliche statement about how "just because the masses believe in this and that... doesnt make it true" we're talking about music here...
refer to my comment below about 'Noise' music..
I guess you haven't heard 'Noise'?? :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by inabis View Post
It's funny I was having this same conversation with someone last week who was saying that techno wasn't real music....lmao...I guess it's all about your point of view...classical is some good stuff, I study best with it in the background...I like music from movie soundtracks as well, Danny Elfman makes some damn good music
Ya, best music to study to, or relax to.
You know what im talking about though right?? 'Noise' as in 'The Locust' and other bands..
Some punker a few years ago tried to tell me in school that techno doesn't take any skill, and that the people don't even use instruments.. This coming from someone who listens to music with the same generic drum beat over and over.. -___-

-Nathan
      11-07-2007, 06:59 PM   #76
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expired View Post
refer to my comment below about 'Noise' music..
I guess you haven't heard 'Noise'?? :/

Ya, best music to study to, or relax to.
You know what im talking about though right?? 'Noise' as in 'The Locust' and other bands..
Some punker a few years ago tried to tell me in school that techno doesn't take any skill, and that the people don't even use instruments.. This coming from someone who listens to music with the same generic drum beat over and over.. -___-

-Nathan
lol so what i consider music is apparently noise. i'd hate to sit in your car.

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 07:06 PM   #77
Los Angeles
Steve Forte Rio
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08' 328i

Quote:
Rap isn't music. It's what you do when you can't hold a job, you can't sing and your fingers are to stubby to pull a trigger for cash.
That statement was really ignorant.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 07:56 PM   #78
mtkid
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SE3P_to_E90 View Post
i can't listen to JZ because IMO, he just looks wayyyyyy too dumb... i mean, there are rappers that look "legitimate" in the rap industry, but JZ... idk, he just reminds me of a fat ja-rule with a baby face plastered to a slob...

Pac and Game -- they look like legitimate rappers... just my 0.02

How does Pac and "The" Game look more sophisticated than Jay? Do you live under a rock? haha, he's the epitome of an entrepreneur: President and CEO of two record labels, co-owner of the 40/40 club, and the co-owner of the New Jersey Nets. He's the most clean shaven/legit rapper out there who really came from a bad area. If anything, he's an innovator and a ridiculously successful business, something not easily generated by a slob. I admit, his last few albums haven't been great, but he pretty much owns the record industry.
      11-07-2007, 08:42 PM   #79
younghov85
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 black 325

Quote:
You don't listen to real, talented artists, that's the problem.

Plenty of bands will do their best work live. The problem is that labels stopped scouting for talent and instead promote artists scraped off the sidewalk that suck so much they don't have to pay them and make up for the lack of talent with autotune processing.

You don't know me so I won't hold it against you if you think I know shit about music.
No offense and not trying to sound racist, but are you white? That was the most ignorant thing I have heard in so long man. LOL
Just curious, what type of music do you listen to?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 10:46 PM   #80
Cadillac Johnson
Free taco with stolen base
Rep
Drives: 335i? GTR? RS5?

The only thing I'm going to say on this is this; people that talk shit about rap, citing that all they do is steal other peoples music, dont know anything about rap.

Rap started, by putting spoken word poetry over sampled beats. That's hip hop.

I haven't heard American Gangster yet, didn't really have much of an interest in it. Although I haven't been too interested in any mainstream rap the past few years.

The mid to late 90's was the golden age of hip hop, and I got spoiled by that. It will never be the same.
      11-07-2007, 10:49 PM   #81
NaTuReB0Y