E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > When to switch companies?

11-15-2007, 10:25 AM   #1
stooken
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5

When to switch companies?

i'm looking to jump to another company. annual raises just dont cut it so it seems like the only way to get better pay nowadays is to jump around a bit. a friend of mine hopped to 2-3 different companies within 2 years and increased his salary about $30k.

i've been with my current company as a financial analyst since late february. i'm thinking i should at least wait until i hit the one year mark. the job itself here is really laid back. i get to travel. i hardly ever put in my 40 hrs per week. sounds great but on the flipside, i want more $$$!!

what do you guys think?
      11-15-2007, 10:42 AM   #2
MCS
e90 newbie
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 E93

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
let me ask you this. Does the extra chance at more dough outweigh the possibility that you:

-may have to work harder
-travel more/less (opposite of what you'd want)
-get more stress?

sounds like by your post that your company is treating you pretty well.

You may want to approach your boss and ask for more $$ first before bailing. they may give you a discretionary bonus or at the very least, know tht you want more dough during the salary increase process.
      11-15-2007, 10:52 AM   #3
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

This is my opinion. The number one reason why you should seek a new job is not $ but how are you being treated at your current work environment. Are you getting treated professionally and are you happy with your work. $ is not the only thing that go round in this world. Jumping job has its disadvantages as well.

Ask yourself this, if your buddy go jump in the lake, will you do the same?

On a side note, I get fed up with the mentality of this society. Everyone is alway comparing themself with others. Oh, he/she has a bigger house then mine, I need more $ to get a bigger house then so and so. This type of culture fosters a very jealous, envious, and materialistic society.

Peace!
      11-15-2007, 11:40 AM   #4
stooken
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

maybe i wasn't clear on alot of things so here i go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCS View Post
let me ask you this. Does the extra chance at more dough outweigh the possibility that you:

-may have to work harder
-travel more/less (opposite of what you'd want)
-get more stress?

sounds like by your post that your company is treating you pretty well.

You may want to approach your boss and ask for more $$ first before bailing. they may give you a discretionary bonus or at the very least, know tht you want more dough during the salary increase process.
work harder. more stress. more responsibilities. that's what happens when you move up the ladder. i'm comfortable with the job but not the pay. i took this job to get my foot in the door. now with some experience under my belt, i'm looking to use it to my advantage. i'll probably end up waiting until my annual review to see where i stand.

how do i professionally approach my boss for more money? they just laid off a crap load of people.

i also dont see much growth within the company either. it's a fairly large company but im the only one that does what i do here. next position up would be my boss' position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03 View Post
This is my opinion. The number one reason why you should seek a new job is not $ but how are you being treated at your current work environment. Are you getting treated professionally and are you happy with your work. $ is not the only thing that go round in this world. Jumping job has its disadvantages as well.

Ask yourself this, if your buddy go jump in the lake, will you do the same?

On a side note, I get fed up with the mentality of this society. Everyone is alway comparing themself with others. Oh, he/she has a bigger house then mine, I need more $ to get a bigger house then so and so. This type of culture fosters a very jealous, envious, and materialistic society.

Peace!
although i do completely agree, money always plays a role. whatever job it is, it needs to support my lifestyle.

i only used my buddy as an example. he jumped jobs because he was getting shafted with more work than necessary. he was doing his boss' work too. so he jumped somewhere else that paid him more to do the work he was hired to do not someone else's work as well.

as far as people comparing themselves to others. it really depends what kind of attitude comes with it. if they are comparing themselves to help better themselves then there is no harm in that. how else are you supposed to motivate yourself if you dont look up to the people above you?

if i was comfortable with my JOB & PAY, none of this would be an issue but that takes years to achieve. im young and still trying to make something of myself.
      11-15-2007, 11:55 AM   #5
txusa03
Major General
Rep

My previous side note may or may not applied to your situation. This might not applied to you either but sometimes the first thing many folks should do is re-evaluate their lifestyle and make adjustment accordingly to match their financial mean, that's all.
      11-15-2007, 12:04 PM   #6
MCS
e90 newbie
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 E93

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
note - by the time you get to your annual review, the salary has already been determined and its somewhat difficult to adjust the raise.

If a more signiicant raise is what you're after, approach your boss with a couple of ways/questions:

1. Whats the average salary raise range?
2. What is the promotion timeframe like?
3. Is there a discretionary bonus at this company?

Note - since your company is going through layoffs, the last question/answer may not be known. Typically, when companies are laying off people, they either a - have no money for bonuses.or b. may have a bonus to retain the rest of the people and keep them during crappy compnay times i.e retention bonus.

Be open an honest with your boss. Remember - they're people too and just want to do what's right for you and the company. Generally speaking, if you bring up that you're going to hop jobs, its already raising the flag that you're a foot out the door.

Also - If you've been working less than a year and its your first job, you may want to ask yourself, "Is it easier for the company to hire another ambitious dude from college and replace me?"
      11-15-2007, 12:40 PM   #7
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stooken View Post
i'm looking to jump to another company. annual raises just dont cut it so it seems like the only way to get better pay nowadays is to jump around a bit. a friend of mine hopped to 2-3 different companies within 2 years and increased his salary about $30k.
Be very careful doing this. While this can work in the short term, eventually some great employers are going to look at his resume and say "This guy doesn't stick around very long. I don't want to invest time and money training him just so he can jump off in 8 months or a year." You need to make the right decisions for you, but just be mindful that those decisions can limit your options down the road.

Quote:

i've been with my current company as a financial analyst since late february. i'm thinking i should at least wait until i hit the one year mark. the job itself here is really laid back. i get to travel. i hardly ever put in my 40 hrs per week. sounds great but on the flipside, i want more $$$!!

what do you guys think?
What I see is that you have a job where you don't seem to work very hard, get to travel, and is a "laid back" place to work. Your only complaint is you want more money for this laid back job where you don't work very hard. Sounds to me that the company is paying you exactly what you are worth. If you want more money, you will have to find a job where you work harder and do more. Companies don't exist just to give you money for "rarely working 40 hours per week", they exist to make profit for their owners/shareholders. Bring more value to the company, and they'll pay you more.
2013 Ducati Multistrada Touring S, Red
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 12:49 PM   #8
txusa03
Major General
Rep

Something to consider, if you really like your job (but want more pay), hey look around and see if you can take on other tasks/responsibilities in exchange for more pay.

Becasue as scollins said, it appears they are paying you exactly what you are worth right now. And as I said, jumping from job to job does have its disadvantages as he pointed out. he only pointed out one examples, there are a few other disadvantages to job jumping.
      11-15-2007, 12:51 PM   #9
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stooken View Post

what do you guys think?
Do you think you deserve a raise? One statement you've made suggests the answer is no.

Reminds me of a quote several decades ago: "People these days aren't afraid to do an honest day's work. They just want a week's pay for it."
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 12:55 PM   #10
stooken
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post
Be very careful doing this. While this can work in the short term, eventually some great employers are going to look at his resume and say "This guy doesn't stick around very long. I don't want to invest time and money training him just so he can jump off in 8 months or a year." You need to make the right decisions for you, but just be mindful that those decisions can limit your options down the road.
true. no one is going to hop job after job after job forever. you can only do it so much. once you find the right job with the right growth potential and the right pay, you'll stay. there needs to be a balance. lets not take this to any extremes. im not going to jump 20 jobs to find the right one. and sure enough, i'm not going to stick with a "laid back" job for "ok" pay. i dont mind going the extra mile for the extra pay. like i said before, i'm the ONLY one that does what i do in my department. what extra work should i do? someone else's job?

Quote:
What I see is that you have a job where you don't seem to work very hard, get to travel, and is a "laid back" place to work. Your only complaint is you want more money for this laid back job where you don't work very hard. Sounds to me that the company is paying you exactly what you are worth. If you want more money, you will have to find a job where you work harder and do more. Companies don't exist just to give you money for "rarely working 40 hours per week", they exist to make profit for their owners/shareholders. Bring more value to the company, and they'll pay you more.
i never said i wanted more money and was not willing to work harder or do more work.

this is what i said earlier. "work harder. more stress. more responsibilities. that's what happens when you move up the ladder." hence, i do want to move up.
      11-15-2007, 12:57 PM   #11
stooken
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
Do you think you deserve a raise? One statement you've made suggests the answer is no.

Reminds me of a quote several decades ago: "People these days aren't afraid to do an honest day's work. They just want a week's pay for it."
because i dont work my full 40 hours?

when i'm done with my work and there's nothing else my boss needs me to do, i go home. am i supposed to sit here and pick my nose?

keep in mind, i do work from home as well.