E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > What would you do (job related)

03-17-2006, 12:12 PM   #1
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep
Drives: 330i manual

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
What would you do (job related)

I have a subordinate working partly as my assistant. Instead of doing the job she's suppose to be doing, she rather take on some meaningless tasks that no one asks of her. She uses that as an excuse for not being able to complete what she's suppose to do, and when confronted, she said that she wants to be a team player and help everyone. Now the director of the company had asked my opinion numerous times about her competence. The first few times I put in good words for her and told the director that I think she can improve. However, as time went by, I realized she lacked a lot of the very basic knowledge that was necessary to be in the position she's in. Added onto that, she refuses any type of attempt I made to train her, acting as if I'm wasting her time. What's worse, I'm seeing some small indication that she might be trying to sabotage some of my work as I've found detrimental mistakes in the work that I know for a fact I didn't make.

Yesturday I had another lengthy discussion with the director and this time I was not so supportive of her. I clearly indicated to her that it's not really working out, and unless someone else from corporate is willing to come and re-train her from the start, I don't believe she can get the job done. Unfortunately, she said once more, like she said the previous 3 times I met with her, that we'll give this girl one last chance. Now my question is, would you skip the director and go above her to make the request for the change? Or what would be your course of action.

Now I know some of you will say, just get rid of her, but understand that I'm in a delicate situation where I do have a lot of influence, and if I do insist, she will be fired. However, this will put me on bad terms probably with the rest of the people in the office. I don't want to be the cause of someone getting fired, as firing/hiring is not my responsibility. I already conveyed my thoughts to the director, and if she can't make the right decision, I'm stuck at a bad place. I shouldn't have to go up to her and say, I want this girl fired.
      03-17-2006, 12:28 PM   #2
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

I'd make the point clear with the director, don't sugar coat it at all
give him/her one more shot and I would advise against going over their head if possible as that won't make them happy with you

it's a rough spot, and nobody want to have to fire people
can you have her transferred to be the assistant of somebody you don't like or something?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2006, 12:35 PM   #3
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Well, thats the thing, the first few times I did "sugar coat" my comment, but this time I didn't, and she still didn't make the right call. Basically I was as blunt as I could've been without actually saying fire her.

I wish she can be transferred, but unfortunately she was transferred to me, due to the fact that no one else can work with her. Since I was the most competent one and I had experience with training people before, they asked me to take her.
      03-17-2006, 12:52 PM   #4
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

let the director know. Obviously she's not taking things seriously. If she doesnt wanna do her job, why keep her around?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2006, 02:25 PM   #5
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWE90
let the director know. Obviously she's not taking things seriously. If she doesnt wanna do her job, why keep her around?
uhhh, I did.
      03-17-2006, 02:44 PM   #6
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Is she hot?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2006, 02:45 PM   #7
magmd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Well, this is indeed a very tough situation. Since you have some reservations of just going up the chain to "fire" her. I guess it would be best to clearly take notes of her failures from here on out, with clear documented examples. When it comes time for re-review...you can bring out these clear identifiable instances that will demonstate her lack of abilities to continue to work there. Your director will have clear reasons to fire her. Since no one else has been able to work with her either, you should not feel bad about getting her fired if she cannot do the work.
      03-17-2006, 02:46 PM   #8
magmd
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
BTW.....censored?

man...I really liked that
      03-17-2006, 02:55 PM   #9
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Well, the list of her mistakes have been well documentated. It's a long and distinguished list. My biggest problem is that I believe she's resenting the fact that I've been coming down on her to get things right, and thus my suspicion of her purposedly creating mistakes in my files. The company's well being is in jeopardy by her actions and the director is not handling it.

Ya, one of the admin Mark PMed me and told me to take the girl off my signature, haha. oh well.

Is she hot? Ehhh, she's 31, and even if her appearance is attractive, her personality just completely kills it. You know, when someone's so annoying that you just want to drop kick them in the face. Annoying I can handle it, and I was putting up with it, but now its just becoming disruptive.
      03-17-2006, 03:00 PM   #10
gohawks23
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bauer S29s

Personally I wouldn't discuss stuff like this on a web site...because a friend of mine did and it was discovered by the person fired and used to her benefit...
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2006, 03:00 PM   #11
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzerofive
Well, the list of her mistakes have been well documentated. It's a long and distinguished list. My biggest problem is that I believe she's resenting the fact that I've been coming down on her to get things right, and thus my suspicion of her purposedly creating mistakes in my files. The company's well being is in jeopardy by her actions and the director is not handling it.

Ya, one of the admin Mark PMed me and told me to take the girl off my signature, haha. oh well.

Is she hot? Ehhh, she's 31, and even if her appearance is attractive, her personality just completely kills it. You know, when someone's so annoying that you just want to drop kick them in the face. Annoying I can handle it, and I was putting up with it, but now its just becoming disruptive.
Hit it, then drop it.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2006, 03:02 PM   #12
findtom
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60 545i

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
Are you the only one in the office that thinks she's useless? If she's that much of an incompetant pain in the ass, you can't be the only one that noticed.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2006, 03:02 PM   #13
magmd
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
My biggest problem is that I believe she's resenting the fact that I've been coming down on her to get things right, and thus my suspicion of her purposedly creating mistakes in my files.

Can this be proven?? Paper trail of her possible sabotage?

well being is in jeapordy

You may not have much of a choice if this continues. Director or not...things need to get done. Sometimes it sucks being the bad guy, but if its for the good of the company, just have to take the heat
      03-17-2006, 03:15 PM   #14
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Ya... by next friday, I'm going to have to take some action. No, unfortunately it can't be trailed back to her. If it could, I would've brought this up to the owner already. And I'm not worried about posting on here, just because I mentioned no names and I'm not the one doing the hiring/firing. There's no conflict of interest.
      03-17-2006, 03:31 PM   #15
Saosin17
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

ok, heres my advice. DO NOT go over anyones head, because that will only come back to fuck you in the end. give the girl an ultimatum, and speak to the director about it. say you know what the requirements are, if you are not filling those exact requirements you are not doing your job, your doing someone elses. if she does not after this, knowing she will be fired, act appropriately and do her job, then do what you can to have her fired
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2006, 03:42 PM   #16
e90rocks
Myrmidon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Entwicklung 90 - 325 Xi

Garage List
2006 325 xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Ya... by next friday, I'm going to have to take some action. No, unfortunately it can't be trailed back to her. If it could, I would've brought this up to the owner already. And I'm not worried about posting on here, just because I mentioned no names and I'm not the one doing the hiring/firing. There's no conflict of interest.
I would pull the trigger. There were some tongue in cheek comments also, like transferring her out. I saw an article about the phenomenon of the poor worker being transferred laterally or kicked upstairs because of fear that the person is psycho. This apparently is a really common business problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2006, 04:28 PM   #17
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
uhhh, I did.
LOL yeah I realized that after I posted it. eh...
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2006, 05:02 PM   #18
BiggieJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335 ZSPZPPOPP

i dunno but to me it seems pretty clear what you need to do. theres no need to give this girl an ultimatum, as someone said before... she had pleanty of chances to get her s*it together. and if you confront her she sounds like the type of person who will try to bring you down with her. so F that. go and tell whom ever you need to tell, "look you need to fire her, shes no longer an asset to the company and shes become a liabilty." its sucks that youre in the position that has to do it, but why protect her? trust you me, she'll take you down if she had the chance. and this can actually become a plus for you, to show some intiative to do the right thing for the company. sometimes you just gotta be that guy, not because you want to but because you have to. and im sure you co workers will understand also. theres no "friends" in business anyways
Appreciate 0