E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > PTS cuts pay by 15%, employees strike, PTS goes out of business

06-16-2008, 06:27 PM   #1
TMNT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330ci ZHP

PTS cuts pay by 15%, employees strike, PTS goes out of business

Yikes, it looks like all those who went on strike against their company for cutting their pay by 15% to stay in business just lost their jobs cause the company had to go out of business because of it.

(PTS is a transportation company that hauls new vehicles to dealer lots)

What were the employees thinking? Yes getting your pay cut by 15% sucks ass, but its not like the company was doing it just to do it...they filed for Chapter 11 twice in 2 years!. They were in some tough times, and tough times call for tough measures.

I guess they just owned themselves. Now their salary went from a 15% paycut to 100%

http://www.buffalonews.com/145/story/370094.html
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2008, 06:29 PM   #2
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

lol...sucks but...the irony...lol
      06-16-2008, 06:31 PM   #3
ChineseGuy
QuickShifter
Rep
Drives: Black E90

The majority is always stupid...

I feel bad for those who were against the strike...
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2008, 07:40 PM   #4
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

not exactly, these are the same people who will line up for unemployment benefits...

lazy assess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT View Post
Yikes, it looks like all those who went on strike against their company for cutting their pay by 15% to stay in business just lost their jobs cause the company had to go out of business because of it.

(PTS is a transportation company that hauls new vehicles to dealer lots)

What were the employees thinking? Yes getting your pay cut by 15% sucks ass, but its not like the company was doing it just to do it...they filed for Chapter 11 twice in 2 years!. They were in some tough times, and tough times call for tough measures.

I guess they just owned themselves. Now their salary went from a 15% paycut to 100%

http://www.buffalonews.com/145/story/370094.html
      06-16-2008, 08:47 PM   #5
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

The ignorance of the collective work force never ceases to amaze me. Your job is only worth what I can pay someone else. My job is only worth what someone else will do it for. I'm sure the owners of the company came out fine, and will have a new company formed shortly. No company owes anyone anything, unless you have a contract. This whole implied social obligation is bullshit.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2008, 09:04 PM   #6
TheSpungos
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Tanzanite/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post
The ignorance of the collective work force never ceases to amaze me. Your job is only worth what I can pay someone else. My job is only worth what someone else will do it for. I'm sure the owners of the company came out fine, and will have a new company formed shortly. No company owes anyone anything, unless you have a contract. This whole implied social obligation is bullshit.
+1 VERY well said
      06-16-2008, 09:40 PM   #7
iatacs19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M4

EPIC FAIL.
      06-17-2008, 09:42 AM   #8
561design
z4um Hooligan
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 3.0Si

I must be the only one that agrees with the strike. If you're pay was cut 15% I'm sure you wouldn't be happy about it either. On another note, if you see management or owners of the company NOT participating in the pay cut. I'm sure you'd be furious.

My company had cut bonuses a few years ago. But our upper management still gets their bonus. And when I say bonus, I mean in the hundreds of thousands.
      06-17-2008, 12:13 PM   #9
iatacs19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 561design View Post
I must be the only one that agrees with the strike. If you're pay was cut 15% I'm sure you wouldn't be happy about it either. On another note, if you see management or owners of the company NOT participating in the pay cut. I'm sure you'd be furious.

My company had cut bonuses a few years ago. But our upper management still gets their bonus. And when I say bonus, I mean in the hundreds of thousands.
I rather have a 15% pay cut than no job.
      06-17-2008, 12:24 PM   #10
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

Quote:

If you don't like it, leave.

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 01:08 PM   #11
TMNT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330ci ZHP

Quote:

But your company didn't file for Chapter 11 two years in a row right? I'm sure they weren't on the verge of bankcruptcy right?

Stirking when your company can barely keep its head above water is just asking for it to go down....your job with it.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 09:27 PM   #12
561design
z4um Hooligan
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 3.0Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post
If you don't like it, leave.
Fortunately for me. I'm being taken care of within my company. So I have no reason to leave. But if I were in their shoes the story may be a little different. Of course it's easy for everyone to say, you don't like it leave.

But you should really think about their situation. Many blue and white collar workers live paycheck to paycheck. I'm sure this situation is rare on this forum. And many of you may not have experienced that in a long time if ever. So it's near impossible to just jump off the deep end. To them it makes more sense to fight for what they have. Even if it means losing it all. Most likely they're drivers, a position that is easy to fill. These guys most likely have family that live and work in the area. So if there is no work locally, it may be difficult to just get up and relocate.

Unlike many of us who are professionals. It's very hard on those that are not in a skilled profession to just get up and leave.
      06-17-2008, 09:58 PM   #13
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

Quote:
Fortunately for me. I'm being taken care of within my company. So I have no reason to leave. But if I were in their shoes the story may be a little different. Of course it's easy for everyone to say, you don't like it leave.

But you should really think about their situation. Many blue and white collar workers live paycheck to paycheck. I'm sure this situation is rare on this forum. And many of you may not have experienced that in a long time if ever. So it's near impossible to just jump off the deep end. To them it makes more sense to fight for what they have. Even if it means losing it all. Most likely they're drivers, a position that is easy to fill. These guys most likely have family that live and work in the area. So if there is no work locally, it may be difficult to just get up and relocate.

Unlike many of us who are professionals. It's very hard on those that are not in a skilled profession to just get up and leave.

I see, so striking because your job isn't worth what it used to be and you don't want to make a big change in your life is ok? Sure, strike if you want. But I sure hope you see the whole picture. Just because your skill (or lack of skill) was worth $20/hour in 1999 doesn't mean it will be worth 1/2 that in 2009.

As I said before - your job is only worth what I can get someone else to do it for. Some of us have more opportunity than others, but I have a whole team of people working for me that are fairly well paid for blue collar, and got where they are becuase they decided to make something of their situation, and not sit around bitching and moaning.

Appreciate 0