E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Chapstick / Lip Balm Thread

01-15-2012, 12:14 AM   #23
El_Duderino
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ******* View Post
Sorry, but thats gay as fuck. In most Europe countries the only persons that uses anything to their lips is women and fagotts ( im using this word in purpose - gay and fagott for me are two different meanings ) . Well Italians and Spains guys used it but it is different story.

The only uses of lip-balm for me is ( very rarely ) in winter when temp is below -15 oC
I read this and immediately thought: Eastern European. Had to deal with this nonsense when interacting with the many Eastern European immigrants to the UK. It's almost as "gay" as wearing excessive gold jewelry.

Although I'm not a chapstick user myself, your hostile reaction towards its use is almost comical. Almost.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 03:32 PM   #24
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Ford Edge Sport

seems like chapstick is an absurdly love-hate thing. medication dries my lips and skin out pretty bad, to the point of bleeding sometimes. used to just not worry about it as long as they weren't bleeding, but i use blistex medicated now for my girlfriend's sake.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #25
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

Chapstick medicated. Light blue tube. Works so much better than anything else and cheaper than all of those fru fru brands to boot. No need for anything else. Not greasy like blistex or heavy like most of the other brands (including Burt's bees) and doesn't have enough medication to actually taste or feel medicated.

To those who shun lip balm, you've either never been skiing with a lot of cold wind or had a girlfriend who actually likes to kiss you.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 04:34 PM   #26
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Not an avid chapstick/lip balm user but keep it's good to have handy in the winter when the humidity is low, it's freezing out, and the wind chill picks up. Also when working out in the desert. There is nothing in particular that I use...used to be chapstick, then blistex, then something my gf got me, now Burt's Bees. My biggest gripe is anything that leaves a shine to it. In that respect, the stuff my gf got was great 'cause it was matte and didn't make it look like I had frickin' lip gloss on.
      01-16-2012, 03:38 PM   #27
TMNT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330ci ZHP

I have to have cherry chapstick with me at all times. If I don't, I'll stop whatever I'm doing to get it.

I took some kind of hardcore acne medication in high school and ever since then, my lips dry out a lot without chapstick. I probably use it 5 times a day.

I never used it that much previous to the medication...maybe a couple times a week during the winter and that's it.

So I understand where a lot of you are coming from...
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 04:05 PM   #28
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregTheStig View Post
I've tried Burt's before and it worked pretty damn well but so far I've had decent luck with that Blistex. The medicine I was taking for acne as a teen dried me the hell out and that's when I started really using chapstick. At the time, Blistex was the only one that really seemed to make it feel better. I'll definitely check the other ones out though, thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT View Post
I have to have cherry chapstick with me at all times. If I don't, I'll stop whatever I'm doing to get it.

I took some kind of hardcore acne medication in high school and ever since then, my lips dry out a lot without chapstick. I probably use it 5 times a day.

I never used it that much previous to the medication...maybe a couple times a week during the winter and that's it.

So I understand where a lot of you are coming from...
Yeah, the dermatologist gave me blistex when he prescribed Accutane. Now i just have to apply some type of chapstick in the morning. Usually one application tides me over for the day. Unless i'm out west boarding or it's really windy and cold of course. Low humidity requires multiple applications. But even in the hot humid summers of FL i need to apply in the morning or i end up with chapped lips.

Cherry Chapstick is what i have in my house, but i can used what ever if i don't have that around.
      01-17-2012, 12:37 PM   #29
catcher22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by double_j View Post
Chapstick medicated. Light blue tube. Works so much better than anything else and cheaper than all of those fru fru brands to boot.
this.

I've tried SEVERAL over several years.

Started with Chapstick medicated and ended with Chapstick medicated.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 12:59 PM   #30
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
http://www.cracked.com/article_19426...ddictions.html

#3, Yup, they actually make it addictive, evil as big tobacco
      01-17-2012, 01:24 PM   #31
SONAR
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: By echolocation

Psychological addiction is dissimilar from the physical addiction to cigarettes. But I've definitely noticed that some tend to dry your lips out. I'm telling you guys, aloe-gator. Has no phenol in it The psychological side of it I definitely agree with, but I literally only apply the aloegator a few times a day. Try it.

Active ingredients:

Octinoxate: Its primary use is in suncreens and other cosmetics to absorb UV-B and UV-A rays from the sun, protecting the skin from damage. It is also used to reduce the appearance of scars.

Octisalate: is an organic compound used as an ingredient in sunscreens and cosmetics to absorb UVB (ultraviolet) rays from the sun.

Oxybenzone: It is used as an ingredient in sunscreen and other cosmetics because it absorbs UVB and short-wave UVA (ultraviolet) rays

Inactive ingredients:

Beeswax: As a skin care product, a German study found beeswax to be superior to similar "barrier creams" (usually mineral oil based creams, such as petroleum jelly), when used according to its protocol

Camphor: Camphor is readily absorbed through the skin and produces a feeling of cooling similar to that of menthol, and acts as slight local anesthetic and antimicrobial substance. There are anti-itch gels and cooling gels with camphor as the active ingredient. Camphor is an active ingredient (along with menthol) in vapor-steam products, such as Vicks VapoRub. Although touted as a cough suppressant, it has no effects on respiratory tract function

Candelilla (Euphorbia Cerifera) Wax: It is mostly used mixed with other waxes to harden them without raising their melting point. As a food additive, candelilla wax has the E number E 902 and is used as a glazing agent. It also finds use in cosmetic industry, as a component of lip balms and lotion bars.

Carnauba (Copernica Cerifera) Wax: Because of its hypoallergenic and emollient properties as well as its shine, carnauba wax appears as an ingredient in many cosmetics formulas where it is used to thicken lipstick, eyeliner, mascara, eye shadow, foundation, deodorant, various skin care preparations, sun care preparations, etc

Dimethicone: is used widely in skin-moisturizing lotions where it is listed as an active ingredient whose purpose is "skin protection." Some cosmetic formulations use dimethicone and related siloxane polymers in concentrations of use up to 15%. The Cosmetic Ingredient Review's (CIR) Expert Panel, has concluded that dimethicone and related polymers are "safe as used in cosmetic formulations."

Lanolin Oil: Lanolin is also used in lip balm products such as Carmex. For some people Lanolin can irritate the lips

Mineral Oil: In the United States, mineral oil is generally safe for human contact and consumption and has been approved by the FDA in personal care and cosmetic products, as well as for an additive for food to 10 mg/kg of daily consumption. Mineral oil is a common ingredient in baby lotions, cold creams, ointments and cosmetics. It is a lightweight inexpensive oil that is odorless and tasteless
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 02:04 PM   #32
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Always have it on me. Multiple sticks in different locations.

The one in my pocket right now is Chapstick moisturizer (dark blue tube).

My lips were wind chapped the other day pretty bad from a late night walk with the lady friend after seeing a movie. We were walking to find a place to eat in a new area, but every place we went was packed... The next morning my lips were in bad shape. Now they feel great.

In the military, they give us this stuff for free in health clinics, but it's always Chapstick and it's usually the medicated one. You can especially get these when you're deployed, they have buckets of them in the clinics. Probably where my addiction started, but with 120+ degree dry heat I needed it...

And LOL @ the guy calling people who use lip balm gay. Seem pretty insecure with yourself, huh? Let me know how your girl likes your wrinkly and ragged lips on hers (or anywhere else for that matter).
      01-17-2012, 02:29 PM   #33
lebreeze
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18’c63s,15’macanturbo,14’ 991s

Garage List
2008 e92 m3  [0.00]
My new fav
Attached Images

01-17-2012, 06:59 PM   #34
dillon733
Major
Rep
Drives: Jet Black e92 M3

currently my favorite

The flavors are delicious. The problem is you will end up eating it all rather than leaving it on. haha
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 07:55 PM   #35
gary88
Ikea enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [7.96]
This is usually the first one I see at Walgreens so yeah.

01-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #36
SONAR
Banned
Albania
Rep

no watermark? did you sign us up for that thing at northstar? probably will try to not sleep through it this time...
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #37
gary88
Ikea enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [7.96]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SONAR View Post
no watermark? did you sign us up for that thing at northstar? probably will try to not sleep through it this time...
stole it from google

and yeah RSVP sent
      01-18-2012, 01:17 AM   #38
spiike32
Major
Rep
Drives: Mineral White F80 M3

girlfriend says my lips are much more kissable when I use the blue (vanilla) softlips. Dunno what that means, but that's what I use.

Chapstick lip moisture is pretty good.

Current: Tesla Model 3 Performance Retired: F80 M3, FBO 335i, 318ti, C7 Stingray
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 07:23 AM   #39
panicos81
Colonel
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: a white bmw

Garage List
2010 BMW E92  [8.54]
2007 e90  [0.00]
lol you guys are very sensitive )

just for the record at least in Cyprus and Greece, which i´m aware of, nobody uses those things except girls.. I will give you the benefit of the doubt though as i dont know your weather conditions..
      01-18-2012, 11:26 AM   #40
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I found one at a local health food store that includes l-lysine. Since I normally only use it after the cold sores, this helps a lot.

I'm finding I need something besides the sunscreen I put on my bald head, because the cold sores come almost inevitibly after a long day in the sun coaching/reffing soccer.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #41
catcher22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Welcome to America, the land where deodorant and Chapstick fall into basic hygiene for all.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 12:01 PM   #42
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
Reading this post made me question my own sexuality
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 01:07 PM   #43
SONAR
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tondtar View Post
Reading this post made me question my own sexuality
That's been questionable for a long time old man
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 01:13 PM   #44
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SONAR View Post
That's been questionable for a long time old man
Yeah, I must not be man enough since I don't carry a half dozen lip balms in my man purse like you guys.

What's wrong with me? ....I feel like I am turning Homo
Appreciate 0