E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Official iPhone 4S Thread!

Closed Thread

10-05-2011, 11:48 AM   #45
GregTheStig
derp
Armenia
Rep
Drives: a Tuk Tuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
How is it a waste of money?

I've made money by getting the new iPhone every year

IIRC, I've made about $300 over the past 4 years? (including the cost of the iPhones themselves)

I bought my 4 for $250, I can easily get $300 for it

buy the 4S at $250, I just pocketed $50.

How is that a waste of money? Receving $50 and getting a better phone sounds like a win win to me
It's a waste of money if you're not reselling them for a profit.

I'm talking about people who actually buy them and use it for themselves. I don't know why people would spend another $250 to "upgrade" to something that is pretty much the same damn phone. Oh, it has a better camera and some organizer thing. Is that really worth $250? This is almost as sad as the white iPhone 4... how people waited in line for hours and jerked off to the Best Buy catalog so they can get the same damn phone in a different color. I don't get this shit. Buy a phone you like and replace it when it starts to crap out or something truly revolutionary comes out. A couple software updates on the same phone isn't revolutionary.

I would just wait for the iPhone 5 to come out.

Last edited by GregTheStig; 10-05-2011 at 11:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 12:23 PM   #46
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar929 View Post
at&t had a loop hole w/ the original iPhone that you could essentially get 5 iPhones and never start a contract w/ them. My buddies and I did that and sold them on ebay to guys all over the world, we made a killing!

and yea, no pre-order, fuck getting the iPhone, I dont believe in standing in line for hours. Never have, never will
Well back when the original iPhone first came out, you had to pay quite a bit of money for it

IIRC, I paid $500+ for my edge iPhone.

I don't mind standing in line if a group of us get together, it's not that bad.

I stood in line around ~4am? last year for the iPhone 4. Store opened at 7, i was out by 7:30. Not all that bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregTheStig View Post

I'm talking about people who actually buy them and use it for themselves. I don't know why people would spend another $250 to "upgrade" to something that is pretty much the same damn phone. Oh, it has a better camera and some organizer thing. Is that really worth $250? This is almost as sad as the white iPhone 4... how people waited in line for hours and jerked off to the Best Buy catalog so they can get the same damn phone in a different color. I don't get this shit. Buy a phone you like and replace it when it starts to crap out or something truly revolutionary comes out. A couple software updates on the same phone isn't revolutionary.

yeah, if you're shelling out money just to get it... that's different

But the, if you have the money for it, so what?

To some people, $250 is nothing. I mean, you have people who pay $450 for AMEX membership fees :P

I don't believe in the "don't buy new, just use what you until it craps out"
I personally like to have the newest and greatest, as long as it's financially sane for me and affordable (or I can sell my old one for a good price)
If this was the case, I'd still be on my old Mac and not a MBP

Last edited by persian54; 10-05-2011 at 12:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 12:32 PM   #47
Wakka
but no flokka
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 12:51 PM   #48
b0bab0i
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregTheStig View Post

The Iphone 4S doesn't just have software updates. It has hardware updates too. Double processor speed (guessing more ram also) and better Camera (1080p recording).
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 12:52 PM   #49
HOG4DNR
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergray545 View Post
I'm so sick of hearing about this shit. Use what you like and shut the fuck up. It's that simple.
Well Said, who really gives a rat's ass about what phone you own.
2008 Z4MC #1786/1815 "The Last IB w/ Extended Leather Made" Gone but Not Forgotten

2014 M235i E.Blue Mods in Progress
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 01:19 PM   #50
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Well back when the original iPhone first came out, you had to pay quite a bit of money for it

IIRC, I paid $500+ for my edge iPhone.

I don't mind standing in line if a group of us get together, it's not that bad.

I stood in line around ~4am? last year for the iPhone 4. Store opened at 7, i was out by 7:30. Not all that bad
yea, they were $499 and $599 but we were getting roughly $800+ for them, it was insane.

3 and 1/2 hours isnt bad, I just dont have much patience but I tend to get lucky from time to time. When the iPad 2 came out, I wanted to get one for my mom since her bday the same day it came out. Figured best buy would be the least crowded, get there, and there are only a few people in line, SCORE! got me one as well

Quote:
yeah, if you're shelling out money just to get it... that's different

But the, if you have the money for it, so what?

To some people, $250 is nothing. I mean, you have people who pay $450 for AMEX membership fees :P

I don't believe in the "don't buy new, just use what you until it craps out"
I personally like to have the newest and greatest, as long as it's financially sane for me and affordable (or I can sell my old one for a good price)
If this was the case, I'd still be on my old Mac and not a MBP
same here, plus, the resale is so good on them, you never loose a cent, in fact you can always make money if you are smart. If I end up getting the 4S, I will loose $50 since I would go for the 64GB and I have an offer for $350 for my 4, not bad
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 01:25 PM   #51
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar929 View Post
yea, they were $499 and $599 but we were getting roughly $800+ for them, it was insane.

3 and 1/2 hours isnt bad, I just dont have much patience but I tend to get lucky from time to time. When the iPad 2 came out, I wanted to get one for my mom since her bday the same day it came out. Figured best buy would be the least crowded, get there, and there are only a few people in line, SCORE! got me one as well

same here, plus, the resale is so good on them, you never loose a cent, in fact you can always make money if you are smart. If I end up getting the 4S, I will loose $50 since I would go for the 64GB and I have an offer for $350 for my 4, not bad
Damn nice profit there.
I should have done that haha

yeah 3.5 hours isn't too bad.

I was actually doing work last year. Tethering FTW.

btw, if you get $350, you'll lose $100 cause it's $400+tax

Stupid CA law applies tax to pre-discounted price
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 02:06 PM   #52
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakka View Post
LOL i love these videos
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 02:08 PM   #53
silvergray545
Skittles, OT OG
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: Lots of M cars

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2000 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 VW GLI  [0.00]
Here's my take on things.

Apple's main focus is Quality over Quantity. Apple has one phone in production. Android is on every other phone you see.

Apple's goal isn't to make the most money or sell the most products. If they wanted to do that, they would license iOS and give HTC, Samsung, etc the ability to manufacture their own phones. Apple's only goal (in everything they do) is the user experience. Every person that uses an iPhone gets the same experience. iOS will forever be iOS. You can't say the same for Android. Android tweaks their software for every phone that it's installed on. Yes, Android has a base software that is common for each phone. Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Ice Cream Sandwich, Box of Oreos, Potato Salad, McDonald's Egg McMuffin, etc. But any Android user knows that they are constantly pushing out updates to make the software compatible with other phones. As I stated before, the iPhone experience will always be similar because there is one product and one OS. The Android experience differs depending on the device you're using. The Bionic will provide a better user experience than the LG Vortex will. Both are Android base, but the devices are completely different so user experience will be completely different.

I worked at Verizon so I know all about the phones. Android never really wowed me like it did everyone else. And everyday, people would come in with problems on their Android based phones. I won't lie, the new phones are impressive.

At the moment, I am a Blackberry user. I've been loyal for the past four years. I love their phones but I'll be the first to admit that they are not innovators. Why do I like the Blackberry? 1. The keyboard. 2. Email. 3. BBM. 4. I can use it internationally.

With that being said, I'm planning on getting a new phone. I plan on buying the 4S when it comes out. Why? I have a MacBook Pro and I've been happy with it for 3 years now. The wireless sync is a big part of why I want one. I have an iPod Touch. I never remember to take it out of my car and sync the new music I download on my computer to it. The 4S will be international. Also, it will cut down on what I carry in my pockets. Instead of carrying my iPod Touch and my Blackberry, I will just have to carry one thing, the iPhone 4S. I've always been happy with any Apple products I've owned. And upgrading to an iPhone or Android phone from a Blackberry is always a HUGE step.

Android offers a lot with their phones. 99% of the stuff they offer is something I don't need. I don't use apps. I don't need to root my phone to play games. I have a lot of other constructive things to do than play with my phone. I use a phone to talk, text, Facebook, Twitter and Email. That's about it.

If you feel that you would like and have the time to take advantage of all the things that Android offers, by all means, go for it. But if you want a solid working product right out of the box, I feel that you can't go wrong with an iPhone. Different strokes for different folks. Just use what you like best.

If you guys are basing this on demographics: I'm a 22 year old male. I'm single. I'm currently a full-time student and I have part-time employment.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 02:38 PM   #54
SmellsLikemonkey
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i

What do you think the secondary market will be like? Will you be able to resell for $150 profit?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 02:39 PM   #55
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
btw, if you get $350, you'll lose $100 cause it's $400+tax

Stupid CA law applies tax to pre-discounted price
oh yea, I heard about that, that really sux.

glad I dont live in CA, I'm in hollywood FL not CA
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 02:45 PM   #56
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Some of you sure think a lot about phones. It's $200, buy what works for you, move on.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 02:46 PM   #57
Daniel135i
Banned
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6M, AW, CR, MSPORT

Garage List
2011 135i  [10.00]
2005 SRT-4  [7.00]
SAD FACE - I just purchased an iPhone 4 over here in Europe, unlocked GSM without a plan because im already locked into a plan.... $930 gebronies... And this shit gets dropped on me. I feel used.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 03:26 PM   #58
EDM92
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Low&Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergray545 View Post
Here's my take on things.

Apple's main focus is Quality over Quantity. Apple has one phone in production. Android is on every other phone you see.

Apple's goal isn't to make the most money or sell the most products. If they wanted to do that, they would license iOS and give HTC, Samsung, etc the ability to manufacture their own phones. Apple's only goal (in everything they do) is the user experience. Every person that uses an iPhone gets the same experience. iOS will forever be iOS. You can't say the same for Android. Android tweaks their software for every phone that it's installed on. Yes, Android has a base software that is common for each phone. Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Ice Cream Sandwich, Box of Oreos, Potato Salad, McDonald's Egg McMuffin, etc. But any Android user knows that they are constantly pushing out updates to make the software compatible with other phones. As I stated before, the iPhone experience will always be similar because there is one product and one OS. The Android experience differs depending on the device you're using. The Bionic will provide a better user experience than the LG Vortex will. Both are Android base, but the devices are completely different so user experience will be completely different.

I worked at Verizon so I know all about the phones. Android never really wowed me like it did everyone else. And everyday, people would come in with problems on their Android based phones. I won't lie, the new phones are impressive.

At the moment, I am a Blackberry user. I've been loyal for the past four years. I love their phones but I'll be the first to admit that they are not innovators. Why do I like the Blackberry? 1. The keyboard. 2. Email. 3. BBM. 4. I can use it internationally.

With that being said, I'm planning on getting a new phone. I plan on buying the 4S when it comes out. Why? I have a MacBook Pro and I've been happy with it for 3 years now. The wireless sync is a big part of why I want one. I have an iPod Touch. I never remember to take it out of my car and sync the new music I download on my computer to it. The 4S will be international. Also, it will cut down on what I carry in my pockets. Instead of carrying my iPod Touch and my Blackberry, I will just have to carry one thing, the iPhone 4S. I've always been happy with any Apple products I've owned. And upgrading to an iPhone or Android phone from a Blackberry is always a HUGE step.

Android offers a lot with their phones. 99% of the stuff they offer is something I don't need. I don't use apps. I don't need to root my phone to play games. I have a lot of other constructive things to do than play with my phone. I use a phone to talk, text, Facebook, Twitter and Email. That's about it.

If you feel that you would like and have the time to take advantage of all the things that Android offers, by all means, go for it. But if you want a solid working product right out of the box, I feel that you can't go wrong with an iPhone. Different strokes for different folks. Just use what you like best.

If you guys are basing this on demographics: I'm a 22 year old male. I'm single. I'm currently a full-time student and I have part-time employment.

Montego Blue 2007 E92 335i - ZSP / ZPP / Steptronic / Logic7
Broadway Static - CCW - Megan - Orion
Instagram: bmwforlife
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 03:46 PM   #59
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel135i View Post
SAD FACE - I just purchased an iPhone 4 over here in Europe, unlocked GSM without a plan because im already locked into a plan.... $930 gebronies... And this shit gets dropped on me. I feel used.
To be fair, since it appears you know about the internet, you should have known a new iPhone was coming out.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 04:07 PM   #60
ES_TRADER
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [10.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [8.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [10.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
I don't see anything wrong with it... What's so bad about it? It's faster than the 4, current 4 camera sucks and is slow. 4s camera fixes that... It's better...why people get so worked up about?

I'm just pissed that they decided to come out with this one month after I got mine...fack
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 04:13 PM   #61
jasonn
JDM Slut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by richpuer View Post
I don't see anything wrong with it... What's so bad about it? It's faster than the 4, current 4 camera sucks and is slow. 4s camera fixes that... It's better...why people get so worked up about?

I'm just pissed that they decided to come out with this one month after I got mine...fack
Fans severely disappointed in receiving mid-cycle refresh after having eagerly anticipated and waited roughly a year and half for innovation / new design.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 04:35 PM   #62
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83 M4

man im so sick of hearing about this damn phone. i work in IT and every freakin nerd that works here thinks they are smartphone gurus and talk about why their phone is better and bla bla bla and iphone this dual core that just STFU!!! We all get it - you're a dbag no one cares about your opinion on the phone we will either buy it or not regardless of WTF you say or do so go away!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 04:36 PM   #63
E90SoFlo
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngnastyman View Post
man im so sick of hearing about this damn phone. i work in IT and every freakin nerd that works here thinks they are smartphone gurus and talk about why their phone is better and bla bla bla and iphone this dual core that just STFU!!! We all get it - you're a dbag no one cares about your opinion on the phone we will either buy it or not regardless of WTF you say or do so go away!!!
^^ guy has a blackberry
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 04:40 PM   #64
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SoFlo View Post
^^ guy has a blackberry
lol actualy i have an iphone 4. thinking about drawing an S on the back
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 04:48 PM   #65
Daniel135i
Banned
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6M, AW, CR, MSPORT

Garage List
2011 135i  [10.00]
2005 SRT-4  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
To be fair, since it appears you know about the internet, you should have known a new iPhone was coming out.
Well, not everyone searches for the latest phone releases on the internet like a hawk... Shit, a new phone hits the store shelf every day it seems.

I digress, proceed with the badgering....
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 04:59 PM   #66
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel135i View Post
Well, not everyone searches for the latest phone releases on the internet like a hawk... Shit, a new phone hits the store shelf every day it seems.

I digress, proceed with the badgering....
Here's a hint then, don't buy an iPhone in August. Every year in October, there's an updated iPhone. Almost like clockwork.

Appreciate 0
Closed Thread