E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > G37 vs Genesis Coupe

View Poll Results: G37 vs Genesis Coupe
Genesis Coupe 79 52.67%
G37 71 47.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

01-19-2009, 08:06 PM   #45
gshb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxForgedxx View Post
In case you didn't notice, the thread title is G37 vs Genesis Coupe. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
G37 is an infiniti. its what you would consider an entry level luxury car. just like the 335i. but ill play by your rules and not compare in any way a turbo/4 cylinder/rwd/sport coupe to an entry level luxury sport sedan/coupe so that neither of us look foolish. because youre a good guy and i like you.

gen coupe is still ugly though.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 08:41 PM   #46
coldfusion
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Is 1sicklex posing as a member on here or something? He started a thread with these same pics not too long ago on clublexus.

Hyundai copied infiniti's design and thats it....Just like the way Hyundai copies every other luxury manufacturer. They aren't in the same league and most people wouldn't even think about cross shopping a genesis coupe and g37 or 335i. I admit it looks good, but i think the g37 looks alot better
      01-19-2009, 09:05 PM   #47
lyndon_h
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldfusion View Post
They aren't in the same league and most people wouldn't even think about cross shopping a genesis coupe and g37 or 335i.
Don't be so sure. I'd seriously think about it and invest more during the economic downturn. Also, it's been said that a big percentage of the people buying the Genesis sedan are previous "accepted" luxury car owners.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 09:12 PM   #48
Zimo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW335

That genesis coupe with BBS looks really good. I never liked the new G37 and still prefer the older style.
More mods coming soon
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 09:18 PM   #49
NewSong
Just another jerk in a hat...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Ford Focus

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by joonsup View Post
in regards to auto manufacterers copying other designs, I think everyone can find similarities between two different brands whether it be the shape of the overall car or the headlights, tailights, etc.. so I don't think it's only Hyundai copying Infinity/Nissan.
The "Benz Grill" is more than a passing nod to Mercedes, it's a downright knockoff. It's not like the Benz Grill is a "headlight" or "tailight" mimick, it's a trademark of the brand! Just type in "Genesis Benz Grill" into any respectable search engine, and it's obvious as day that Hyundai, and nearly everyone who has seen the Genesis Sedan knows that Hyundai knocked off the grill.

The coupe is a little less obvious, but it's probably not a coincidence that it looks like an Infiniti. That makes Hyundai look cheap IMHO.

And he hath put a new song in my mouth.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 09:47 PM   #50
bubbletea 4 me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Finally here

G37 is a dissapointement (i had a G35 coupe and i loved it) but the new 370Z owns it all in performance. 370Z looks good but im still trying to get use to the headlights and tail lights. the Gen Coupe does look pretty good especially when modded but obviously copied the G in soo many ways. actually, so many copied the original G designs.. which was one of the best imho. G37 failed.

Nissan builds reliable and great cars, so what Infiniti is a Nissan? all car companies have some type of failures but overall, Nissan's reliability aint bad (though Toyota and Honda owns everyone else). funny thing is alotta unreliable models from the manufacturers are the ones built in the US.. go figure
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 09:53 PM   #51
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Slow/Fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbletea 4 me View Post
G37 is a dissapointement (i had a G35 coupe and i loved it) but the new 370Z owns it all in performance. 370Z looks good but im still trying to get use to the headlights and tail lights. the Gen Coupe does look pretty good especially when modded but obviously copied the G in soo many ways. actually, so many copied the original G designs.. which was one of the best imho. G37 failed.

Nissan builds reliable and great cars, so what Infiniti is a Nissan? all car companies have some type of failures but overall, Nissan's reliability aint bad (though Toyota and Honda owns everyone else). funny thing is alotta unreliable models from the manufacturers are the ones built in the US.. go figure
The 350z and G35 6MT was garbage and barely lasted many to 50,000 miles without a rebuild. The VQ35 also had it's issues with oil consumption... leading to replacement motors. Oh P.S. it can't handle boost for shit without a major build.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 10:06 PM   #52
Turkishexpress
Gixxer Man
Turkey
Rep
Drives: '08 335i E90 / '06 Range HSE

Copying the G35-37 was very smart on Hyundai's part and they will be very successful doing it. I think everyone forgot how Lexus got their names on the map as the luxury division of Toyota. Copied BMW and Mercs all the way...

In any case the Genesis looks really good. However, I would wait a year or two before getting one to make sure that they work out the kinks

Former Stable: 2008 MB C300, 2007 Chevy Avalanche, 2006 Evo IX (544awhp), 2005 Sti, 2003 Evo...
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 10:19 PM   #53
bubbletea 4 me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Finally here

Quote:
The 350z and G35 6MT was garbage and barely lasted many to 50,000 miles without a rebuild. The VQ35 also had it's issues with oil consumption... leading to replacement motors. Oh P.S. it can't handle boost for shit without a major build.
and bmws are so problem free? lol.. i never had any issues with my G and tranmission problems were more in the earlier models. as far as boosting, well they weren't built that way outta the factory so i'm not surprised they dont handle 1000 hp. look at the past Nissan GTRs or the 300ZXTT -they were built to handle bigger power straight outta the factory so dont make it sound like Nissan cant build worth shit. VQ35 is a very reliable/strong engines in stock form.

i've yet to seen a BMW engine able to handle crazy power in stock form without some type of rebuild b4 boostin.. and still rarely few, if any, make power compare to GTR, 300Z, supra, etc..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 10:23 PM   #54
NewSong
United_States
Rep

Cool

Well to be fair, the Supra was a very 'special' car. It doesn't surprise me BMW hasn't built a car quite like that (in terms of performance and boost capability).

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 10:34 PM   #55
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbletea 4 me View Post
and bmws are so problem free? lol.. i never had any issues with my G and tranmission problems were more in the earlier models. as far as boosting, well they weren't built that way outta the factory so i'm not surprised they dont handle 1000 hp. look at the past Nissan GTRs or the 300ZXTT -they were built to handle bigger power straight outta the factory so dont make it sound like Nissan cant build worth shit. VQ35 is a very reliable/strong engines in stock form.

i've yet to seen a BMW engine able to handle crazy power in stock form without some type of rebuild b4 boostin.. and still rarely few, if any, make power compare to GTR, 300Z, supra, etc..
When did I say anything about BMW? And the GT-R drivetrain can't even handle what it has to offer in stock form especially when compared to things that GM has put out like the C6, C6 Zo6 and ZR-1 that can take launch after launch after launch and yes with slicks and that much power it is very hard on the rear end but they can still take it. Hell 10.85 second pass in a stock Zo6... psh.

and just because it wasn't built that way out of the factory doesn't mean that it can't make reliable power with forced induction...

Here is a list of the motors that came from the factory N/A and have no problems handling 400+ WHP without a problem. Hell some even up to 600+ WHP without serious build and I bet more.

-LSX (any)
-LT1 (z28)
-LT4 (C4 Corvette)
-302ci 5.0L (Fox body mustang)
-281ci 4.6L (Edge gen mustang
-F13 (s2000)
-K20/K24 (RSX Type S, TSX)
-Any of the new Hemi motors or the 6.1L SRT-8s
-2JZ-GE (is300, NA Supra MKIV etc)
-KA (240sx)
-SR20DE

and I could go on... none of these motors were "built that way from the factory" and still can handle gobs of power without a major build, or even on stock internals... yes not just the V8's the 4 bangers especially.

You may not have had problems, maybe you got lucky. I can assure you there were enough to go around in terms of tranny problems as well as motor problems even in stock form. Google G35/350z oil consumption issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 12:59 AM   #56
Epik
Awesome & Likes Cookies
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M5

Hyundai doesn't "steal" designs any more than other car companies. Actually, other brands have been taking cues from Hyundai for years now.

But that's how it works. The G Coupe is not a copy of the G37 when it looks so much better.

Here are some words to consider from men wiser than those of you complaining about derivative styling.

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 01:02 AM   #57
Jred22
Meat Puppet
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 e90 M3 Competition

Garage List
Gotta go with the Genesis. Never been a fan of the G37.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 01:14 AM   #58
NewSong
United_States
Rep

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epik View Post
Here are some words to consider from men wiser than those of you complaining about derivative styling.
I don't know if trying to turn Forrest Whitaker into a samurai makes this guy very wise, especially pertaining to car design.

I'm going to have to say fail, epically.

Also explain how the "other brands" have been stealing from Hyundai?

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 01:46 AM   #59
coldfusion
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
To say that about the Z and G is . The VQ is a very reliable engine and Infiniti's have better reliability than BMW as most Japanese cars do. The VQ had an issue in its earlier generations but it was fixed. All cars have issues. Don't even get me started on BMW's issues. My former g35 coupe was far from garbage.

And just because a handful of GT-R trannies blew (3 that i've heard of)doesn't mean anything. Any car that is overly abused will suffer damage
      01-20-2009, 01:47 AM   #60
Epik
Awesome & Likes Cookies
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M5

Porsche loved the Santa Fe enough to borrow considerably into their design of the Cayenne.

Mercedes liked the recent designs enough to hire one of Hyundai's guys to lead their own design team. And not surprisingly a few of MB's next generation cars look like Hyundais.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 01:59 AM   #61
The__J__Factor
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M Coupe

Genesis Coupe looks like what the next gen g37 should look like.
It looks much more modern and sporty then the G37. Both great cars but the Coupe is defiantly better bang for your buck and looks better. Rims + gun metal looks awesome.
Z4 M Coupe - H&R - RE Diablo - RPi - Tekarbon - Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 02:46 AM   #62
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

That Genesis has a killer roofline. I'd take a 370Z and call it a day though.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 09:03 AM   #63
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep

I'd take the 690z over all of them
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 09:14 AM   #64
lyjw88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: C63S & X3MC

I love this sort of threads lol
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 09:30 AM   #65
SoCalTech
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAg335i View Post
QQ.

The front of the car looks horrible (admittedly, that's subjective) ...but lets be REAL here. Would you REALLY feel confident saying you own a Hyundai?
I own a Hyundai. A 2002 Elantra GT. It has not had on single problem in 110,000 miles, gets me 34+ mpg on the freeway, and only cost $8k otd when I bought it used...
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 10:53 AM   #66
NewSong
United_States
Rep

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epik View Post
Porsche loved the Santa Fe enough to borrow considerably into their design of the Cayenne.

Mercedes liked the recent designs enough to hire one of Hyundai's guys to lead their own design team. And not surprisingly a few of MB's next generation cars look like Hyundais.
See this explains basically why Hyundai is seen as a copycat. You can say "Porsche stole from Hyundai with he Cayenne", but really it's more a matter of opinion because when it comes down to it, Hyundai has no distinguishing marks that anyone can steal! Even in your own wording, it's just vague references to "things" that have been stolen, but nothing specific.

When you steal the "Benz grill", people know it, because it's a trademark of the MB brand, same goes for the kidney grills of the BMW. Hyundai has no real unique aesthetic qualities with their cars except that "they look like other cars." That's the mark of a cheap brand. In fact it's a problem with most korean brands.

Appreciate 0