E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW M pondering M supercar using i8 technology?

11-22-2014, 12:12 PM   #67
ChrisMT79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3- Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraggy
I don't get how this is good. Are the Audi and Mercedes electric?
Interesting you mentioned that. Here is a quick, small list of cars I would own over Audi, (not including the R8 E-Tron), and Mercedes (less perhaps the S400 Hybrid for efficiency and immense comfort).
First some obvious choices; Porsche 918 Spyder, La Ferrari, and McLaren P1... And the key, not so life savings depleting; Tesla S.
BMW isn't following Audi or Mercedes, so it's quite obvious, although the vehicles I mentioned are all completely different, and have slightly different target markets, they are all successful. And and the Tesla S clearly shows the potential, as well as the fact there is a market for luxury electrics (and improved hybrids) regardless if it was created out of political motives, (at least it does have some social responsibility charging its purpose). BMW is in a terrific position, having launched what is as close to a 911/R8 fighter as we have seen in recent years. What better way to do it, than by utilizing a relatively new technology to implement it. And had the i8 failed miserably, it could simply be chalked up to technology too new, or the application was inappropriate, or whatever they wanted to say really. It is much easier to write off a unsuccessful project from a new division, ( i ), than had it have been the M division held accountable. That is one reputation no one wants to be responsible for tarnishing.
Now because it is/was successful, I see no reason why placing a TwinTurbo 6 (or better yet 8) in there, with all the carbon fiber and sprinkle on a little M sauce, could be a bad thing?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 12:26 PM   #68
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMT79 View Post
Interesting you mentioned that. Here is a quick, small list of cars I would own over Audi, (not including the R8 E-Tron), and Mercedes (less perhaps the S400 Hybrid for efficiency and immense comfort).
First some obvious choices; Porsche 918 Spyder, La Ferrari, and McLaren P1... And the key, not so life savings depleting; Tesla S.
BMW isn't following Audi or Mercedes, so it's quite obvious, although the vehicles I mentioned are all completely different, and have slightly different target markets, they are all successful. And and the Tesla S clearly shows the potential, as well as the fact there is a market for luxury electrics (and improved hybrids) regardless if it was created out of political motives, (at least it does have some social responsibility charging its purpose). BMW is in a terrific position, having launched what is as close to a 911/R8 fighter as we have seen in recent years. What better way to do it, than by utilizing a relatively new technology to implement it. And had the i8 failed miserably, it could simply be chalked up to technology too new, or the application was inappropriate, or whatever they wanted to say really. It is much easier to write off a unsuccessful project from a new division, ( i ), than had it have been the M division held accountable. That is one reputation no one wants to be responsible for tarnishing.
Now because it is/was successful, I see no reason why placing a TwinTurbo 6 (or better yet 8) in there, with all the carbon fiber and sprinkle on a little M sauce, could be a bad thing?
What BMW is close to a 911/R8 fighter? The i8? LOL It has gotten embarrassed by entry level 991/S is every comparo and on the track, forget it, it was made a mockery of. And thats not even comparing it to more top range 911s, those are simply entry level. Flat out, its not even close.

Then again, you're comparing a hybrid tech to the most iconic sports car ever built, and the compares show that. But once the 911 hybrid is launched, its going to get embarrassed even more but by similar tech. Sorry, but IMO the i8 is a failure, particularly in the design.

And then to put the i8 in the same vain to similar cars, the 918, P1, it absolutely doesn't come close by any stretch.

By the time BMW comes out with their so called 'super car' in however many year, it won't even be able to match the top marques that are on sale today, let alone what they will be doing by that time.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 12:49 PM   #69
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinwolfsclothing
Quote:
What BMW is close to a 911/R8 fighter? The i8? LOL It has gotten embarrassed by entry level 991/S is every comparo and on the track, forget it, it was made a mockery of. And thats not even comparing it to more top range 911s, those are simply entry level. Flat out, its not even close.

Then again, you're comparing a hybrid tech to the most iconic sports car ever built, and the compares show that. But once the 911 hybrid is launched, its going to get embarrassed even more but by similar tech. Sorry, but IMO the i8 is a failure, particularly in the design.

And then to put the i8 in the same vain to similar cars, the 918, P1, it absolutely doesn't come close by any stretch.

By the time BMW comes out with their so called 'super car' in however many year, it won't even be able to match the top marques that are on sale today, let alone what they will be doing by that time.
I8 was never intended to be a competitor to those cars, at the end of the day it is the best hybrid car in its category
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 12:51 PM   #70
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Quote:
Quote:

You make some valid points, but consider:
A) the i8 has sold out which is the best sign of success you could ask for
B) it holds massive tax advantages over a 911 for those looking for a company car, whilst not being that far off the performance
C) is a lot more efficient and exclusive than a 911 (no other car looks like an i8)
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 12:59 PM   #71
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by clbmw
Quote:
Quote:

B) it holds massive tax advantages over a 911 for those looking for a company car, whilst not being that far off the performance
C) is a lot more efficient and exclusive than a 911 (no other car looks like an i8)
Hahaha i8 company car, good one.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 01:06 PM   #72
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing
Quote:
Originally Posted by clbmw
Quote:
Quote:

Hahaha i8 company car, good one.
A lot of wealthier workers in the UK get a car allowance for their company car, a lot more get free choice over what they lease and pay the difference.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 02:52 PM   #73
Kenu8187
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Put some decent purpose made track brakes and tires on the i8 and it would be a solid competitor. But it doesn't have them it has purpose built fuel efficiency brakes and tires the width of a hand. It was never made to be a competitor to the 911, it simply is just that good despite being built to get 135mpg.

Allow M to take advantage of all that carbon goodness without the bean counters holding them back and BMW could easily build a real sports car. It just hasn't chosen to do so to the extent Porsche has.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 04:40 PM   #74
ChrisMT79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinwolfsclothing View Post

I am sorry, perhaps I was not clear enough, or failed to provide substantial emphasis. I had hoped my statement that BMW had launched what is as close to a 911/R8 fighter as we have seen in recent years, perhaps naively assimilated that I was speaking with regard to BMW products alone (I am not familiar with any other vehicle in BMW's portfolio that may be more suitable?). And obviously the i8 is a completely different vehicle, built for a completely different purpose. It does however, have what could be the underpinnings for a vehicle that (with the right massaging, say from maybe the M division perhaps) could potentially rival such vehicles as the like of the R8, and possibly even the acclaimed 911.

I was simply trying to denote, how BMW is nicely positioned from the success (not certain what you define as successful?) but I would say the i8 has received fairly high reviews, and "scored" relatively well from most all critics that I have read thus far. And I really do not see how this could be considered a bad thing, for BMW, or us enthusiasts?
Apologies if I wasn't clear in my thoughts, I never did score very will in grammar courses.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 05:23 PM   #75
The long haul
Hi
United_States
Rep
Drives: Maserati Ghibli, E92m, FTR

Garage List
I'm giving up on BMW ever building a true super car.
Nut up or shut up BMW.
This is why I'm literally putting my 1M for sale next week and putting a deposit on a AMG GT or a GT3 RS.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 06:07 PM   #76
ChrisMT79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The long haul
Nut up or shut up BMW.
This is why I'm literally putting my 1M for sale next week and putting a deposit on a AMG GT or a GT3 RS.
Yes, with sales effectively growing literally on a monthly basis, it feels somewhat similar to Lebron entering the dunk contest. We would love to see it, even for the games sake. Though the likelihood is not so much in our favor. Nothing to prove at this point, and could potentially cause more harm than good to the brand should things not turnout so well.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 10:49 PM   #77
The long haul
Hi
United_States
Rep
Drives: Maserati Ghibli, E92m, FTR

Garage List
Some risk are worth taking, especially to save face and show they give a shit about their followers. They are the only premium Euro maker that doesn't have one, period.
Benz had the SLS, now AMG GT, the SLR, black series ETC
Porsche has all the 911 variants, had the Carerra GT, 918....
Audi has the R8, and I count the RS7
Jaguar has the F Type R, XKR-SGT
It goes on and on.
C'mon BMW. Either you don't have the balls, or you know you're outgunned. Which is it?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 11:33 PM   #78
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

A matter of view

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
BMW are not late in the game. From a certain point of view you could actually say BMW are ahead of the game, thanks to the i8. There is no other car in its significant price point that offers the same philosophy or indeed the same construction methods. If you want that then you have to pay multi-million euros for that. That is the genius of the i8 and BMWi. They have completely outclassed their competitors in how a sports car can be progressed especially when you take into consideration future legislation.
The i8 is a solution to a probable future and everyone will be following.
i8; ground breaking, guilt free sports car. Everything you said and more. No argument. Now is it a halo car? Yes. Is it a super car? No.

The point I was making is that BMW will need to make a new performance car benchmark that breaks all the existing ones (and ones on the way) if it to avoid being "an also ran".

Merely extending the i8 philioshy might not be enough.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2014, 08:05 AM   #79
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by N & M
Quote:
BMW are not late in the game. From a certain point of view you could actually say BMW are ahead of the game, thanks to the i8. There is no other car in its significant price point that offers the same philosophy or indeed the same construction methods. If you want that then you have to pay multi-million euros for that. That is the genius of the i8 and BMWi. They have completely outclassed their competitors in how a sports car can be progressed especially when you take into consideration future legislation.
i8; ground breaking, guilt free sports car. Everything you said and more. No argument. Now is it a halo car? Yes. Is it a super car? No.

The point I was making is that BMW will need to make a new performance car benchmark that breaks all the existing ones (and ones on the way) if it to avoid being "an also ran".

Merely extending the i8 philioshy might not be enough.
"also ran" lol
What pissing contest does BMW need to win?

Audi has the R8, great. The rest of their line up are under steering pigs. Widen the gulf where it matters (2,3,5) and Audi et al. will be the "also ran".

A $55k car that punches far above its weight is way more impressive to me. It's also, arguably, the greater engineering challenge.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2014, 08:41 AM   #80
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Missing the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cSurf View Post
"also ran" lol
What pissing contest does BMW need to win?

Audi has the R8, great. The rest of their line up are under steering pigs. Widen the gulf where it matters (2,3,5) and Audi et al. will be the "also ran".

A $55k car that punches far above its weight is way more impressive to me. It's also, arguably, the greater engineering challenge.
P1, La Ferrari and 918. Milestones that create pedigree and set up the tech bases to bring to the core range in the following years. BMW has done this with the M1 by creating super car that brought reliability, ease and usability unheard of in the past. The i8 breaks the norm and is a statement of future intent, yet driving it for a length of time, I got the lingering feeling the should somehow be something carrying the same spirit to higher level.

On its 100th birthday, BMW deserves to have its cake and eat it.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2014, 11:31 AM   #81
lasovan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 320

Quote:
True!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2014, 04:20 PM   #82
bmwmnation
Private
Rep
Drives: e60 530i and r32 skyline gtr

ahah

Quote:
Originally Posted by YungDro
So guessing this basically means..

Step 1 - Let the i brand settle down first as its litreally brand new.

Step 2 - Release the hotter i8 which is the i8S.

Step 3 - Some time later let M guys make their own SUPERCAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
agree
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2014, 08:27 PM   #83
akhter
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 911 992 C2S

Garage List
Quote:
Step 2: Is not an i8. Its the logical progression of the i8 but is not an i8.
I know I know!

lets call it i9
Sold E90 335i M Sport Alpine White|Tokyo
Sold E36 328i Jet Black|NYC
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2014, 08:32 PM   #84
akhter
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 911 992 C2S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The long haul View Post
Nut up or shut up BMW.
AMG GT or a GT3 RS are very different cars.

Unless you track 10+ times a year, GT3 RS is overkill. And if you track a lot the AMG GT will just not cut it because you will want a truly trackable car with all the mods/safety equipment etc and the GT3 will have loads of that.

AMG GT and Porsche Turbo are more comparable imho....
Sold E90 335i M Sport Alpine White|Tokyo
Sold E36 328i Jet Black|NYC
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 08:45 AM   #85
tallshortguy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Quote:

What an embarrassing set of hyperbole. The i8 was never meant for the track as evidenced by it's skinny tires. Besides that the i8 has drawn tons of critical acclaim as well as more attention than the 911 has garnered in the last decade or more. Yeah a true failure, despite the fact every mag/site has commented on the fantastic hybrid powertrain and overall design as the coming of the future.

It's amazing how defensive you get anytime anything is compared to a porsche product, especially given what forum you're on.

Last edited by tallshortguy; 11-24-2014 at 08:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 09:20 AM   #86
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Can't wait to see the i8 getting beaten by the NSX.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 09:20 AM   #87
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallshortguy View Post
What an embarrassing set of hyperbole. The i8 was never meant for the track as evidenced by it's skinny tires. Besides that the i8 has drawn tons of critical acclaim as well as more attention than the 911 has garnered in the last decade or more. Yeah a true failure, despite the fact every mag/site has commented on the fantastic hybrid powertrain and overall design as the coming of the future.

It's amazing how defensive you get anytime anything is compared to a porsche product, especially given what forum you're on.
Not at all.

The i8 is hideous IMO. And its one of the most overpriced, underperforming cars out there. Maybe its just the fact that the 918 and P1 are getting all the headlines that the i8 is being overhadowed.
Sorry but the 918 is the leading car for what future tech will be. There isnt a single car more advance nor a better integration and calibration of technology.
And, again, when the 911 hybrid comes out, it will define what a performance hybrid is.

The 911 is iconic, and 50 plus years later is still the single, absolute benchmark everyone wants to be and tries to compete with. The i8 (or anything BMW for that matter) is not, and will never be either of those things...nor does it compete and wont stand a chance against the 911 hybrid.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 09:32 AM   #88
YungDro
Major
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Not at all.

The i8 is hideous IMO. And its one of the most overpriced, underperforming cars out there. Maybe its just the fact that the 918 and P1 are getting all the headlines that the i8 is being overhadowed.
Sorry but the 918 is the leading car for what future tech will be. There isnt a single car more advance nor a better integration and calibration of technology.
And, again, when the 911 hybrid comes out, it will define what a performance hybrid is.

The 911 is iconic, and 50 plus years later is still the single, absolute benchmark everyone wants to be and tries to compete with. The i8 (or anything BMW for that matter) is not, and will never be either of those things...nor does it compete and wont stand a chance against the 911 hybrid.
Not going to lie you do get very defensive over Porsche. and the i8 does not compete with the 911 at all. Also whats the point and being on a BMW fourm if you dont even like BMW.. makes no sense. and the i8 being overshadowed? yeah right on every motoring site magazine ive seen everyone is in love with it, and no the i8 has already defined a hybrid sports car thats what it is. why do you think other manufactures are planning their own? Mercedes is considering one.. even audi are making an electric hybrid R8 to compete with the i8. the 918 isn't leading a thing its a hybrid hypercar. the P1 has more tech than it..aswell as the La Ferrari and if you knew about all this "tech" that goes into cars like the i8 then you would know yourself the car isnt overpriced. and for what it is it doesnt underperform at all it does 0to60 in 3.8sec. you're just hating on the i8 for no reason if you were a car enthusiast you would know its an amazing car.

I was also in london yesterday a white i8 was parked infront of a GT3 911. the 911 got no attention at all everyone was surrounding the i8. a little kid got asked a question by his farther and said which one do you like? he pointed at the i8 and didnt even give the porsche a look.

Last edited by YungDro; 11-24-2014 at 09:41 AM..
Appreciate 0