E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Popular LCD/Plasma TV choices?

11-30-2007, 07:22 AM   #67
isabayo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50i M Sport

Most of what I have to say has already been posted but I did a lot research into this about a year ago when I bought my LCD. It was true a year ago that although Plasma accepted the same inputs as LCDS (720p, 1080i, 1080p) they were usually scaled down to a lower resolution. I don't believe this is true anymore though. Plasmas have much higher contrast ratios and better blacks. LCD's have better whites, brightness, and less glare. Ultimately I decided to go with LCD because of where I intended to put it. Due to the glossy glass surface of plasmas they cause more glare, although I don't know if it really causes that much glare. I got an LCD because I was putting in a room with a patio door and a window where sunlight would hit the screen. If it was a home theater in a room with minimal natural light I would have gone with a plasma. I got a Vizio 47" 1080p and I'm very happy with it. Regarding the resolutions you are not going to notice the difference between true 1080i and 1080p on a tv smaller than around 50". A lot of cheaper HD dvd players dont even display at 1080p, they are 1080i but have the ability to read the dvd's that are encoded in 1080p. That is still much better than the 480p standard dvd's are encoded in.
Appreciate 0