E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The Sports Lounge > The Sports Media and Nick Saban.

12-05-2011, 07:18 AM   #1
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

The Sports Media and Nick Saban.

Well it's clear and without doubt that the media lives up his ass. To have a conference rematch decide who's number #1 in the country is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Here's a Christmas gift for the media/voters as I'm sure they've worn out their current set while down in Tuscaloosa.

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 09:12 AM   #2
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Not going to watch unless I need a surefire way to fall asleep at that time.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 09:26 AM   #3
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?
Rep
Drives: Bandwagon

National Championship has always been #1 vs #2 ... Stop being a bunch of whiners. The College football system is a fucking joke. It will continue to be a fucking joke. Enjoy the competition but completely ignore the accolades.. because they are valueless.

You want a clear national champion and more competitive football... Well, the colleges want more money and a playoff is the solution to our problem... but not the schools.

BCS is a joke... college football is a joke. Honestly, every year it feels more and more contrived.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 11:12 AM   #4
The Ghost of Tom Joad
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B744

Geaux tigers
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 11:17 AM   #5
Romanian nightmare
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i Alpine Weiss

Don't like the system? Don't watch! Everyone agrees that the BCS system sucks and it's worse now since it's been so close. Don't want to see a rematch? Well, then the system has to be changed.

I'm a Bama fan and while the game on November 5th was not high scoring, it was very exciting. So i say....bring it on Tigers! You'll go home with your tials between your legs this time...

RTR!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 11:19 AM   #6
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGP View Post
National Championship has always been #1 vs #2 ... Stop being a bunch of whiners. The College football system is a fucking joke. It will continue to be a fucking joke. Enjoy the competition but completely ignore the accolades.. because they are valueless.

You want a clear national champion and more competitive football... Well, the colleges want more money and a playoff is the solution to our problem... but not the schools.

BCS is a joke... college football is a joke. Honestly, every year it feels more and more contrived.
As long as subjective-driven elements are involved in determining placement, there will always be a problem. Playoffs of 8 or 16 teams? Sure but if we have a problem determining the NC game competitors (normally 1-2 teams have a gripe and get left on the outside), how are we going to be able to justify a cutoff in an area that would be much murkier (imagine how many teams will feel shafted when you move the cutoff to 8 or 16).

It's easy to set up the playoffs in the NFL. They go by the record of the team (objective) and then they look to the tiebreakers (objective). Unless you can implement a completely objective system in college football, there will always be whiners, there will always be accusations, and there will always be controversy. The field of 120 and the varying degrees of difficulty from conference to conference make a "fair" solution nearly impossible.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 11:22 AM   #7
Romanian nightmare
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i Alpine Weiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
As long as subjective-driven elements are involved in determining placement, there will always be a problem. Playoffs of 8 or 16 teams? Sure but if we have a problem determining the NC game competitors (normally 1-2 teams have a gripe and get left on the outside), how are we going to be able to justify a cutoff in an area that would be much murkier (imagine how many teams will feel shafted when you move the cutoff to 8 or 16).

It's easy to set up the playoffs in the NFL. They go by the record of the team (objective) and then they look to the tiebreakers (objective). Unless you can implement a completely objective system in college football, there will always be whiners, there will always be accusations, and there will always be controversy. The field of 120 and the varying degrees of difficulty from conference to conference make a "fair" solution nearly impossible.
Couldn't agree more!! Maybe next year it will be an SEC team that will whine...or maybe not!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 11:36 AM   #8
The Ghost of Tom Joad
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Alabama deserves to get beat again just to further prove they aren't even close to the best team in CFB. But seriously, you break down each play over the course of this season, it's hard to argue against this LSU team not being one of the best teams to ever play the game.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 11:39 AM   #9
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?
Rep
Drives: Bandwagon

I am from a "Major Market". Every season I look for a reason to watch and enjoy college football. Every season I am disappointed. It is sloppy and half the season is filled with blow outs of bad teams by very good teams. If I was a true college football fan, I would be out raged that this system is not designed for your entertainment but for the colleges pocket books.

What you need is 2 super conferences. Divide those conferences by regions. Have the best two teams of the super conferences play at the end of the year. End of story.

College football will always be minor league football in my eyes. I hate saying it, but it is just how I feel. I have 2 football teams, 2 baseball teams, 2 basketball teams and 3 hockey teams. As a professional sports fan, I am spoiled.
      12-05-2011, 11:40 AM   #10
The Ghost of Tom Joad
Banned
No_Country
Rep

I wholeheartedly agree with you about CFB being JV, but it's still fun to watch games with combined scores over 100 with regularity.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 12:25 PM   #11
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanian nightmare View Post
Don't like the system? Don't watch! Everyone agrees that the BCS system sucks and it's worse now since it's been so close. Don't want to see a rematch? Well, then the system has to be changed.

I'm a Bama fan and while the game on November 5th was not high scoring, it was very exciting. So i say....bring it on Tigers! You'll go home with your tials between your legs this time...

RTR!
That's just it. The system had a chance to work and it didn't. As a SEC fan in general I was saying that the time of the first appearance between AL/LSU was in essence the national championship game and so was the media.e. There is no argument for this game to happen and the voters had an opportunity to set it right but they blew it. Alabama had its chance and blew it. This isn't like an undefeated Auburn getting left out but worse. Perhaps if these teams weren't in the same conference and if they played early in the season you could argue for it.

Last edited by F32Fleet; 12-05-2011 at 12:36 PM..
Appreciate 0