E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Lost my Cobb AP... How screwed am I?

02-06-2014, 07:00 PM   #1
calturf24
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

Lost my Cobb AP... How screwed am I?

6 months ago I realized my Cobb AP was missing, thought maybe it rolled under the seat. Wasn't until I needed some warranty work done that I needed to find it and its gone. I'm pretty sure it either got stolen by a valet or when it was in for service at some point.

Anyhow, the stock data was on that device and I have the stage 1 sport tune on the car. Luckily I had a hookup at the dealer and was able to get the warranty work done with it tuned (new turbos and HPFP, woohoo!). I know if I buy another Cobb AP they have tunes that are very similar to stock if I want to resell the car "un-tuned".

My question is- Can I just buy another Cobb AP and use it to change up the tune even though another one has been run on my car? I know my stock data is probably gone with the wind but I'd like to be able to run a more aggressive tune when I upgrade FMIC and DP's.

Thanks in advance with any help on this!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 07:11 PM   #2
BlackBB6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
You can't use another AP to change tunes while the missing one is installed. Reach out to Josh at Cobb and see what your options are without the original rom, might be able to mail in your DME.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 07:34 PM   #3
calturf24
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBB6 View Post
You can't use another AP to change tunes while the missing one is installed. Reach out to Josh at Cobb and see what your options are without the original rom, might be able to mail in your DME.
Thanks, sent him a message. I think I may have backed the device up on my laptop so I should (hopefully) have the file.

So a new unmarried AP will recognize that my car has an existing Cobb map and simply won't work if I wanted to change to a more aggressive tune?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 07:49 PM   #4
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i (E90)

Garage List
Doesn't help you (the OP) but that's why everyone should save their stock file to the Accessport Manager. It was the 1st thing I did after I installed my Cobb tune.

As for a fix, if you HAVE to restore it to stock, you'd have to take it to a dealer (or qualified indy shop) to get the ECU re-flashed back to stock settings. Then, you'd have to buy another Cobb to tune it again. BUT, if you never take it back to a dealer for "warranty" repairs, you NEVER really have to return it to stock. And, if you buy another Cobb to replace the one you lost, it will save the prior Cobb tune as the "stock" settings and you can make any switch from that.

Last edited by SSW; 02-06-2014 at 07:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 07:52 PM   #5
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
+1

Email COBB and they will get it sorted for you.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 07:57 PM   #6
XstheticMotorsports
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E60/E82/E90/E92/F10/F30

Hit up Cobb, they should be able to help you out with your ECU. Most likely you will have to reflash your ECU back to Stock map from Cobb or Dealership and then purchase a new AP and reflash it.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 02:40 AM   #7
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ?????

you should be able to buy a new cobb ap and install the tune from that new hand unit.
it will over write anything on the ecu. similar to the first unit you installed, it over wrote the stock program when you installed that accessport.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 08:42 AM   #8
COBB Tuning
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
This is not entirely correct. If you get a new AP, you can overwrite what's currently on the car. However, depending on you car's model and options, you may lose cruise control as its specifically coded. If you ever plugged your AP into your computer via AP Manager, you should have a backup of your stock rom saved on your computer and we can use that to get you your correct file back on the car.

Another option is to have the dealership reflash your DME so you have a fresh base to start from with the new AP.

Give the techs a call and they can get you any extra info you need.
1-866-922-3059

-Josh
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 09:00 AM   #9
BD_F22
BD_e92
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i xDrive

Contact Wedge Performance on the forum he may be able to help you out and help you refresh the dme
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 09:17 AM   #10
deltalima0
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD_e92 View Post
Contact Wedge Performance on the forum he may be able to help you out and help you refresh the dme
+1 Wedge can more than likely remote flash you a clean file. He is an awesome guy.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 04:47 PM   #11
calturf24
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltalima0 View Post
+1 Wedge can more than likely remote flash you a clean file. He is an awesome guy.
Thank you, I'll definitly hit him up. I really would just like to have the stock ROM data just to take it in for warranty stuff. Good to know I can still just overwrite with a new cobb AP if I want to change the from the current ROM.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 04:58 PM   #12
crypticc
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 DCT + Comp

Happened to me recently. Cobb were most helpful I have few things to say....

Copy your entire Cobb data directory now into like three places, or more! Do that before arranging a new cobb install.

When you get your new Cobb install it. The car will start with the ots maps, it will warn you that it will first flash a generic ROM before it overwrites that with ots map and backup the generic rom. but if you ever want to uninstall and leave your car untouched best to go through a complete controlled cycle in my view as follows, assuming a fresh repayment ap

AP device connected to car : flash. Warns about non standard ROM, offers to flash generic. Go for it! Will flag generic them will backup that and then finally flash the ots map.
AP Manager : connect ap. Will say new ECU data available. Don't worry you won't use that backup breccias it is generic. (This is why I copied my original backup all over the place)
AP manager : push (original) backup to AP from Google drive or wherever you stashed it.
AP device connected to car : Import backup (same menu on decice but the exact opposite to expose ECU), ap now thinks your original backup is the one to use for uninstalls.

I believe you can actually stop at this point but, I'm nervous so....

AP device connected to car : uninstall (car is back to stock)
AP device still connected to car : reinstall, yeah!

AP manager : Ap spots new ECU data and backs that up. This one is the new golden copy.

Use with a battery charger or some tether attached and that way your Cobb will be left paired and with a backup of your real ROM on the ap.

I then deleted my multiple copies of the Cobb data and program directories I made.

P.s. don't bother md5 checksum on any files. Your new backup will be different to both the generic and original backup. Presumably some rolling snapshot data is included in the ROM that changes even if it is identical.

P.p.s. I also flattened my battery and cobb recovered from that situation too which is why I know a charger is definitely needed. Oh and file checksum tells you nothing ( yes I did another unusual and install because I was curious that way)

Last edited by crypticc; 02-07-2014 at 05:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 06:40 PM   #13
SLOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 M3

Garage List
When Accessport Manager saves your factory settings, what does it call it? I want to find that file and make a backup copy.

EDIT: think I found it... "BMW_MSD81_.xxxx.rom" ??

Last edited by SLOWER; 04-10-2014 at 07:13 PM..
Appreciate 0