E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Subaru BRZ Concept STI - Amazing!!!

06-18-2012, 06:57 PM   #529
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep
Drives: fat cars are still boats
Location: compensating a fat car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up.

We already saw Ken Gushi in the Scion FR-S (see first two videos below)... but what about his feelings on the 600hp flat-4 turbocharged Scion Drifting GReddy FR-S?!

The Scion Drifting GReddy FR-S is equipped with a turbocharged Cosworth unit based on the Subaru EJ25 STI engine and '08 Subaru STI cylinder heads with Dual AVCS - intake and exhaust valve timing system also seen in the Toyobaru's FA20 engine:

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 06-18-2012 at 07:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 10:07 AM   #530
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep
Location: compensating a fat car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up.

What are you waiting for...

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #531
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Tell me if I'm not right...

You start with this...

Then you add this...

And finally you'll end up with this...

It can well be my story... These are definitely the only drivers' cars that are worth having for both DD Fun and Practicality. Period.

My favorite will always be NOT the most powerful and NOT the most luxurious... BUT the most lightweight!!!

That's where the real FUN starts...
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 09:46 PM   #532
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

So, why is the Toyobaru the best of both worlds?!

For Porsche the the main issue is engine reliability and lack of warranty coverage, totally unacceptable for the price... been there, seen that:

For the 1M the BIG issue so far (let's see how it will do as far as reliability goes) is... 3322 lbs on a full tank, car optioned with just bluetooth, while a fully loaded 1M with everything except heated seats came in even worse at 3360 lbs on a full tank:

As for the Toyobaru, well... you get the legendary Japanese reliability levels you are supposed to enjoy with ANY car, even for such a budget car (don't expect to see any oil smoke from its exhaust even though it has a high revving boxer engine NOR any HPFP issues from its direct fuel injection system) and on top of that the Toyobaru comes in at ONLY 2751 lbs on a full tank:

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 01:01 AM   #533
francis_william
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i sport

you guys know what? I've been the cockpit of the 86 last toyota car show.
I love the gear box so much, it feels just like a short shifter, and the clutch is light.
very manageable. Yea, I know it is a bit on the plastic side, but those raw feeling makes me feel like teeager again.... just feel like I am seating in a toyota sports car, celica,levin again! Much more refined car as well, excellent build quality imo.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 10:31 AM   #534
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Another important issue with the 1M is how aerodynamically inefficient the car is and how it negatively affects the fuel consumption rate. This is very noticeable. BMW tried to disguise it with the 'air curtains' in an attempt to channel the air stream around the front wheels but clearly this is not good enough.

Once again, because the Toyobaru was designed around its VERY low centre of gravity it is aerodynamically very efficient indeed:

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 06-21-2012 at 06:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 07:11 PM   #535
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

A Turbo version of the Toyobaru was already envisioned by Toyota back in the beginning of 2010 ...

At the Jannuary 2010 Tokyo Auto Show, a high performance turbo version was shown as the FT-86 G Sports:

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 09:05 PM   #536
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post
On any given day at the track, you will see half a dozen stock to modded Miatas. The funny thing is, I've seen these guys passing up M3s, and C63 AMGs with ease on the track against supposedly "experienced" drivers.
I'm sure you already know, but if the track favors agility over power then it shouldn't be too surprising to see Miatas passing up relatively portly german super sedans.
Quote:
GoingTooFast, have you bought one yet? I saw a few of these on a tractor trailer being hauled on the 405 yesterday.
I want to know this too. Seeing as GoingTooFast's post make up roughly 50% of a 500+ post thread, it's weird to note that not a single one of his posts consist of personal experiences. I would figure that he would have at least test driven one, much less having bought one by now.

Not sure if he's enthused but scared to put his money where his mouth is, or if he's just a covert marketing troll. :trollface:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 01:56 AM   #537
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year's_End View Post

Not sure if he's enthused but scared to put his money where his mouth is, or if he's just a covert marketing troll. :trollface:
Everytime I see this thread, I wonder if GoingTooFast got a "social media marketing" job with Toyota and has a thread like this on every popular car forum. I haven't seen a huge Toyabaru thread on Rennlist yet so I'm guessing he's just hanging out here on E90Post, for now.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 03:27 AM   #538
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

He's actually doing as me. Beign a BMW fan and BMW owner, he is hanging here on Bimmerpost and posting about one of the best affordable sportscars ATM, a car which in fact should have been a BMW, but BMW prefered building FWDs, GTs and SUVs.

It is not only about the BRZ/GT86, it is about this niche that is recreated thanks to Toyota, and that hopefully will bring back the competition in this segment. Mazda will have to do their homework very well with the next MX-5 and may wish to bring back the RX-7, Honda the S2000 and Nissan the Silvia. Hopefully BMW will change their mind on the Z2. Porsche on the other hand deos not need such a car, as they already have it, the Cayman. If it was given the GT3 treatment with the GT3 engine, it would be the best Porsche ever (after the Carrera GT). Just that most won't be able to afford it, as it is already the case with a base Cayman S.

Now I havn't bought the GT86/BRZ, financially it is not the moment, my intent was as track car only, so I can wait. To say the truth I'd prefere the Cayman S which can be both a DD and WR, but it is twice the price. I my self know the Twins are not perfect, but ATM moment it is the best we can get. I really hope competition will make them better, and that should be the case of every true car enthusiast. I don't want to buy power, but power-to-weight ratio. I can't afford any 600 PS supercar, but bring me a 400 PS 1000 kg lightweight sportscar, you can keep the others. The car in mind: a child of the Lexus LFA and Toyota GT86. Supra ?

Last edited by BMW269; 06-22-2012 at 03:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 05:06 AM   #539
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Everytime I see this thread, I wonder if GoingTooFast got a "social media marketing" job with Toyota and has a thread like this on every popular car forum. I haven't seen a huge Toyabaru thread on Rennlist yet so I'm guessing he's just hanging out here on E90Post, for now.
You can think whatever you like. I sold my Cayman therefore my business with Porsche is over. This is my 1M:

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 06-22-2012 at 05:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 06:16 AM   #540
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Like in Audi FSI motors, build up of deposits on intake valves and ports at around 30-40k miles in the N54 engine is a known issue and it is still an issue for MOST direct fuel injection engines.

However, in the case of Toyobaru's D-4S injection technology, direct injection is combined with port injection and since gasoline is a powerful solvent when injected during the port injection phase it can prevent any contamination and sooting up the intakes. No oil catch cans will be needed then :

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 11:27 AM   #541
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

I'm just surprised you haven't posted your own opinions about the car from a test drive since these cars are finally hitting the road.

The "social media marketing" job comment was just a joke, and even if it was true, I have no problem with it.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 11:41 AM   #542
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

All DI engines will have auxillary port injectors soon. Audi/VW and Subie/Toyota are just leading the way. I am debating buying a new car until this setup is available.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #543
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I'm just surprised you haven't posted your own opinions about the car from a test drive since these cars are finally hitting the road.
I bought my Cayman without ever have driven one... I think I know what makes a good driver's car.

Quote:
The "social media marketing" job comment was just a joke, and even if it was true, I have no problem with it.
You know it's not true! I'm glad it was just a joke... sometimes I forget to laugh.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 11:51 AM   #544
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
All DI engines will have auxillary port injectors soon. Audi/VW and Subie/Toyota are just leading the way. I am debating buying a new car until this setup is available.
As you've just mentioned and as shown in the above video that setup is available from Toyota in its 2nd generation ALREADY (don't know about Audi/VW).

Have you ever heard about the legendary japanese reliability...

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 06-22-2012 at 11:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 03:39 PM   #545
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingTooFast View Post
I bought my Cayman without ever have driven one... I think I know what makes a good driver's car.
When do you plan on buying or test driving one then?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #546
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

You remind me of a user named Footie. I'm sure plenty of OGers on this board know what I mean by that.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 03:55 PM   #547
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingTooFast View Post
Have you ever heard about the legendary japanese reliability...
I have, my Miata spun the #4 main bearing at 22k miles, my M Coupe gave me no trouble for 147k miles. VW has been building a DI/Port injected engine in Europe for a few years now, and the new 2.0T is supposed to use it over here soon.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 04:13 PM   #548
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
You remind me of a user named Footie. I'm sure plenty of OGers on this board know what I mean by that.
Footie changed his user name. Now he is called Deckhook.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 04:49 PM   #549
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I have, my Miata spun the #4 main bearing at 22k miles, my M Coupe gave me no trouble for 147k miles.
Funny you've mentioned the bearings... because weak rod bearings was a VERY known issue with the S54 engine found in the M3, Z3 M and M Coupe.

Like with the Toyobaru I know it's a LOT easier to drive hard and push the engine to its limits in a Miata than in the M Coupe... and that's a good thing!

I'm not able to drive my 1M at WOT often because I don't have enough skills and yet the car still goes sideways.

Anyway, Toyota is more reliable than Mazda I reckon!

Quote:
VW has been building a DI/Port injected engine in Europe for a few years now, and the new 2.0T is supposed to use it over here soon.
No. It was only introduced this year...

The new 1.8L TFSI engine from Audi

Quote:
In order to comply with the future Euro 6 emissions standard, Audi has for the first time developed a dual fuel injection system with FSI and MPI injection. The ability to freely select the injection mode means that particulate emissions can be reduced significantly across wide map ranges and consumption can also be cut.

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 06-22-2012 at 05:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 04:54 PM   #550
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When do you plan on buying or test driving one then?
Appreciate 0