E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > Formula 1 Grand Prix De Monaco 2014

05-24-2014, 03:26 PM   #67
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Q3 is on!

Here's Seb and Ric's helmets again:
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 07:32 AM   #68
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Watching the race live right now.

I love Monaco, but the lack of sound is depressing.

Basically it's a soundless race with the only audible thing being the announcers.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 07:44 AM   #69
Lucky_Strike
LtJG O-2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Garage List
On Lap 27...... What a close call with that pit release of the Torro Rosso !!!!
      05-25-2014, 10:02 AM   #70
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Good race! Nico doing great and Ric catching Hamilton was nice. I miss the V8 sound echoing off the buildings and the tunnel
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 10:27 AM   #71
gary88
Ikea enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [7.96]
Yeah the lack of sound is sad.

Decent race. Great for marussia to score their first points. Can't wait for Canada.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 10:29 AM   #72
pioneercrazed
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e92 335i

Exciting race for Monaco. I'm really curious to see if Bianchi retains that points finish.
      05-25-2014, 04:17 PM   #73
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Good to see Nico repeat. Hamilton really is a bit of sore loser.

And WTF is up with NBC not showing the podium stuff? I TIVO'd it and had no idea until they announced near the end of the race that the podium coverage was moving to NBCSN. And then NBC shows an INFOMMERCIAL!! They cut the coverage short so we could see some stupid frying pan? I still think NBC is far worse than Speed ever was. This idiotic jumping back and forth between stations is annoying as hell.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 07:02 PM   #74
Zoli007
Professional lurker
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, 2016 MCB M3 sold =(

I agree, between that and going to commercial every 10 minutes and when they come back from commercial doing some lame segment instead of showing the race....it really sucks. I would gladly pay a yearly fee to have streaming online with no commercials. Even if I could get the sky broadcast live or even just a few hours after the race it would be great.

Overall a relatively boring race. Sucks for Kimi again despite his great start, he had p3 in the bag.

Also the people bitching about the sound, it's not the volume that's the problem, it's the tone. F1 has had high pitched screaming engines since the early 90's and then these flatulent shits for engines show up and the establishment is surprised that people don't like it. The cars sound cool and the technology is phenomenal, it's just not what F1 has sounded like for many many years. But even that would be forgive able if the damn things were fast, to be at some tracks 8 seconds slower than the lap records set 10 years ago is pathetic I'm sorry. They could sound like jetsons cars if they were matching the pace of the V10's, just saying.
      05-25-2014, 09:59 PM   #75
Jenya B
Lieutenant
Russia
Rep
Drives: Z4 , X5 F15d Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post

And WTF is up with NBC not showing the podium stuff? I TIVO'd it and had no idea until they announced near the end of the race that the podium coverage was moving to NBCSN. And then NBC shows an INFOMMERCIAL!! They cut the coverage short so we could see some stupid frying pan? I still think NBC is far worse than Speed ever was. This idiotic jumping back and forth between stations is annoying as hell.
same shit in canada , in russia you can see press conference plus personal interview after the race with drivers
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 10:11 PM   #76
Petros
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
How so? Hamilton is a hard racer but he's also a fair racer, part of the reason I like him. He'll be the first to bow and give respect to someone who beats him fair and square. It's the manner in which he lost that made him grumpy this weekend. He perceived, whether rightly or wrongly, that Rosberg deliberately did a Schumacher and parked his car on the track to secure pole and deny his rivals a chance at a final hot lap. Of course, the only person in the world who knows for sure whether Nico's actions were deliberate is Nico himself. But let's be honest. If there was no controversy and Nico won fair and square, I'm pretty sure Lewis will be the first one to pat him on the back on a job well done.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 10:59 PM   #77
thorny
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
How so? Hamilton is a hard racer but he's also a fair racer, part of the reason I like him. He'll be the first to bow and give respect to someone who beats him fair and square. It's the manner in which he lost that made him grumpy this weekend. He perceived, whether rightly or wrongly, that Rosberg deliberately did a Schumacher and parked his car on the track to secure pole and deny his rivals a chance at a final hot lap. Of course, the only person in the world who knows for sure whether Nico's actions were deliberate is Nico himself. But let's be honest. If there was no controversy and Nico won fair and square, I'm pretty sure Lewis will be the first one to pat him on the back on a job well done.
I agree with you. Athough, i do not believe that Nico could have pulled that manevre deliberately, i think he was pushing beyond of what was possible in his zeal to beat Ham, after all he pulled the first 1:15... lap and could not have known that luis was setting awesome sector times on his last p3 lap. Too much speculation I think, he just over-cooked breaking - mistake that Ham doesnt do.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 11:01 PM   #78
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
He was also whining to his team on the radio about bringing him in during a safety car period. His eye problems wrecked his chances to win anyway and almost cost him 2nd place. I doubt Nico could have pulled his quali mishap off that cleanly if he was doing it deliberately.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 11:27 PM   #79
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Mercedes AMG is straight dominating.

Watched the Indy 500 in person today and now I'm watching the Grand Prix via DVR.

I must say, the 500 was more exciting/competitive today.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 04:32 AM   #80
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

Another great result for our young Aussie.

Shame he didn't have a bit more HP to get passed Hamilton at the end though!

The Mercs are kicking arse that's for sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 03:42 PM   #81
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Usually, the audio clips they play are delayed quite a bit.

I think Hamilton had wanted to pit a few laps before the safety car, and that's why he complained because he would have been in a much better position if he'd pitted when he wanted to.

Quote:
He was also whining to his team on the radio about bringing him in during a safety car period. His eye problems wrecked his chances to win anyway and almost cost him 2nd place. I doubt Nico could have pulled his quali mishap off that cleanly if he was doing it deliberately.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 07:21 PM   #82
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post
I've long loved Monaco and the Monaco circuit...it's definitely - if not my favorite - then my second favorite race of the year.

Grandstands are from $550-800 in USD. $550 will put you in the grandstand facing the harbor near the Piscine chicane (you can see that section on the map that E90Slam put in his OP)

Hotels:

Hotel de Paris Monaco -sold out
Monte Carlo Bay -sold out
Monte Carlo Beach -sold out
Hotel Le Métropole - the only rooms left are suites going for about 13,000 for 2 nights.
Fairmont Monte Carlo - They have availabilities but are $7,014 - $25K
Hotel Hermitage -sold out but they have a cool "paddock lounge" in the Salle Belle Epoque banquet room

-- you might be able to find something on the other side of Nice near the airport --

For the race, my prediction:
1. Lewis
2. Nico
3. Daniel
4. Seb
5. Alonso
ok so the wife and i are planning a trip 2 years out and this is one of the stops....if the hotel is in advance where would you stay and where in your opinion is the best place to sit? also around what does the pit passes cost? thank you for your time....also do you think it would be better to stay outside the area...or is it really worth the $
      05-26-2014, 07:22 PM   #83
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post
I've long loved Monaco and the Monaco circuit...it's definitely - if not my favorite - then my second favorite race of the year.

Grandstands are from $550-800 in USD. $550 will put you in the grandstand facing the harbor near the Piscine chicane (you can see that section on the map that E90Slam put in his OP)

Hotels:

Hotel de Paris Monaco -sold out
Monte Carlo Bay -sold out
Monte Carlo Beach -sold out
Hotel Le Métropole - the only rooms left are suites going for about 13,000 for 2 nights.
Fairmont Monte Carlo - They have availabilities but are $7,014 - $25K
Hotel Hermitage -sold out but they have a cool "paddock lounge" in the Salle Belle Epoque banquet room

-- you might be able to find something on the other side of Nice near the airport --

For the race, my prediction:
1. Lewis
2. Nico
3. Daniel
4. Seb
5. Alonso
also if you dont mind me asking have you been to this race???????????
      05-26-2014, 11:37 PM   #84
128Convertibleguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128 Covertible

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebringjetta View Post
ok so the wife and i are planning a trip 2 years out and this is one of the stops....if the hotel is in advance where would you stay and where in your opinion is the best place to sit? also around what does the pit passes cost? thank you for your time....also do you think it would be better to stay outside the area...or is it really worth the $
Monaco? F1 is often a parade, and Monaco is one of the worst. In town would be $$$, out of town would be a lousy commute. Maybe use a train? I suppose the track lets you get closer to the cars than most these days.

I did Monza once. You can stay in Milan, it's big enough that the prices don't get jacked up. And take a train/short shuttle bus to the track. Nice cultural experience. After the race, I joined the crowd rushing the track. Kind of fun, if you didn't fight it, and let the crowd carry you where it would. After the podium ceremony it broke up, and you could walk around the track. Under the old banking was very cool. The one disappointment was the pit stops. I had a seat directly across, but they had shields up and you could see very little.

I don't think F1 has pit passes, except for the well connected. If you want to buy tickets you might think about doing it as soon as the track will sell them. 6 months before Monza was too close, the track had none, and I had to buy one from what here would be a scalper. Something like 5 times face value. It's a well organized system, lots of established vendors, all gets done over the Web.

Spa looks like it would be a hoot, but you have a very decent chance of awful weather. In my book, the last great track, with some really fast turns.

Last edited by 128Convertibleguy; 05-27-2014 at 12:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 01:04 AM   #85
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 [Sold]

Not too bad as far as typical Monaco races go. Despite the poor start for RIC as lucky to claw back a podium.

Hamilton coming off 4 in a row loses 1 race and starts to derail emotionally, I'm sure he'll be back on it come Canada!
      05-27-2014, 02:22 AM   #86
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny View Post
I agree with you. Athough, i do not believe that Nico could have pulled that manevre deliberately, i think he was pushing beyond of what was possible in his zeal to beat Ham,
The in car comparison between Rosbergs pole lap and the one he abandoned is is quite telling...Rosberg was already down on his pole lap first sector time and all that sawing at the steering wheel to unload the front tyres looked totally strange, I'm not at all surprised that Hamilton thought he did it on purpose I certainly did...and I would be pissed as well thinking that my teammate had cheated to take pole and therefore an almost certain win.
Watch this if you can get it in the USA:
http://www1.skysports.com/watch/vide...big-discussion
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 07:34 AM   #87
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasaurus View Post
Hamilton coming off 4 in a row loses 1 race and starts to derail emotionally, I'm sure he'll be back on it come Canada!
Button agrees with you:
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/3...ger-in-canada/
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 07:39 AM   #88
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
The in car comparison between Rosbergs pole lap and the one he abandoned is is quite telling...Rosberg was already down on his pole lap first sector time and all that sawing at the steering wheel to unload the front tyres looked totally strange, I'm not at all surprised that Hamilton thought he did it on purpose I certainly did...
I don't have a strong opinion either way, but count me in the camp that finds it hard to believe it was deliberate (and I saw the ant-johnny analysis of the two laps side by side).

What I found most interesting was what Ted Kravitz said post qualifying: "I've spoken with 3 or 4 team bosses and 4 or 5 engineers and every single one of them in this pitlane thinks that was a deliberate move by Nico Rosberg".

Video here:
Appreciate 0