E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > anyone know why Baltimore lost their grand prix?

06-02-2014, 08:06 PM   #1
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46m3

anyone know why Baltimore lost their grand prix?

anyone know why baltimore lost their grand prix? i know i stopped when tudor took over but anyone else have anymore info????????????????
      06-02-2014, 08:18 PM   #2
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebringjetta View Post
anyone know why baltimore lost their grand prix? i know i stopped when tudor took over but anyone else have anymore info????????????????
Conflicts with other previously scheduled events for the next two years and they couldn't work out a solution. This year is due to a football game and next year due to a convention.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 08:21 PM   #3
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by five3three View Post
Conflicts with other previously scheduled events for the next two years and they couldn't work out a solution. This year is due to a football game and next year due to a convention.
Not to mention that it was highly unlikely Baltimore would have made the cut onto the Tudor schedule after the ALMS/Grand-AM merger.

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 08:25 PM   #4
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseto View Post
Not to mention that it was highly unlikely Baltimore would have made the cut onto the Tudor schedule after the ALMS/Grand-AM merger.
ya i agree!!!!!!!!!!! but i have to say it was such a cool track to visit ad watch
      06-02-2014, 08:25 PM   #5
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Costing the city too much money and the promoters had changed hands, the original promotors had some mild legal disputes.
Business's near the track vicinity complained of loss of business.

Baltimore has severe budget issues and beyond policing and road work (I believe ) the city calculated a loss of around $300,000
Promoters said they needed three more years to make sufficient profit.
Not to mention the issues with the different racing leagues.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 08:26 PM   #6
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by five3three View Post
well i wonder if it will happen again?????????
      06-02-2014, 08:27 PM   #7
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by notime View Post
Costing the city too much money and the promoters had changed hands, the original promotors had some mild legal disputes.
Business's near the track vicinity complained of loss of business.

Baltimore has severe budget issues and beyond policing and road work (I believe ) the city calculated a loss of around $300,000
Promoters said they needed three more years to make sufficient profit.
Not to mention the issues with the different racing leagues.
are you thinking its a done deal?
      06-02-2014, 08:37 PM   #8
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Can't imagine it coming back.
I think a lot was personalities conflicting.
People who went loved it - I think the local government was a little naive - I'm not so sure in the very beginning some in local government thought Indy cars were the teams racing in Monaco's F1.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 08:42 PM   #9
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by notime View Post
Can't imagine it coming back.
I think a lot was personalities conflicting.
People who went loved it - I think the local government was a little naive - I'm not so sure in the very beginning some in local government thought Indy cars were the teams racing in Monaco's F1.
so hold on your telling me that indy doesnt race in monaco.....lmao im going to have to look into this one
      06-02-2014, 11:42 PM   #10
LinkA8A0A
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

I went the first year and this year and was really disappointed to hear it wasn't coming back. I thought they did a great job and loved going.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 12:17 AM   #11
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Because its Baltimore
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 01:57 PM   #12
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
According to Wiki:
Controversy
Along with the closing of the commercial center of downtown Baltimore for track preparation, trees were removed from city streets, spawning a court case.[9] Also, the Baltimore Brew identified $42,400 in campaign contributions over the last 4 years to Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake and other political officials from investors and businesses that stood to gain from the race being held.[10]
After its inaugural run, it was reported that the race failed to bring as much economic activity to Baltimore as had been promised[11] and that Baltimore Racing Development has had difficulties paying monies owed to local businesses[12] and the state, the latter resulting in a $567,000 tax lien being filed.[13] With Baltimore Racing Development $3 million in debt, including nearly $1.2 million owed to Baltimore City, the city terminated their contract with BRD at the end of 2011. This meant the race would only take place again if both the city and IndyCar approved a new organizer. IndyCar officials have expressed hope that a new organizer will be found.[3] The city of Baltimore announced on February 10, 2012 that a five-year deal with race organizer Downforce Racing, LLC was being finalized and would be presented to the city Board of Estimates February 22.[14] The new contract includes provisions such as a $3 per ticket surcharge for city services to reduce the risk of unpaid fees to the city.[4]

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 09:20 AM   #13
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Because its Baltimore
ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      06-04-2014, 09:22 AM   #14
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
According to Wiki:
Controversy
Along with the closing of the commercial center of downtown Baltimore for track preparation, trees were removed from city streets, spawning a court case.[9] Also, the Baltimore Brew identified $42,400 in campaign contributions over the last 4 years to Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake and other political officials from investors and businesses that stood to gain from the race being held.[10]
After its inaugural run, it was reported that the race failed to bring as much economic activity to Baltimore as had been promised[11] and that Baltimore Racing Development has had difficulties paying monies owed to local businesses[12] and the state, the latter resulting in a $567,000 tax lien being filed.[13] With Baltimore Racing Development $3 million in debt, including nearly $1.2 million owed to Baltimore City, the city terminated their contract with BRD at the end of 2011. This meant the race would only take place again if both the city and IndyCar approved a new organizer. IndyCar officials have expressed hope that a new organizer will be found.[3] The city of Baltimore announced on February 10, 2012 that a five-year deal with race organizer Downforce Racing, LLC was being finalized and would be presented to the city Board of Estimates February 22.[14] The new contract includes provisions such as a $3 per ticket surcharge for city services to reduce the risk of unpaid fees to the city.[4]
wow...good find!!!!!!!!!
      06-04-2014, 09:23 AM   #15
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkA8A0A View Post
I went the first year and this year and was really disappointed to hear it wasn't coming back. I thought they did a great job and loved going.
i really enjoyed it....the atmosphere everything!!!!!!!!!! hope it comes back....not to mention watching the cars jump over the track after the chicane