E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW Lock Picking

09-11-2014, 08:16 PM   #23
tkhan456
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82 (MW/Black/Black 19")

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMonet View Post
That looks WAY too simple.

Might have to go for the key hole cover from IND.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&highlight=IND
I thought this was the dumbest mod until now...
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 08:27 PM   #24
YMB-M3-J2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB M3

Garage List
I don't think the keyhole delete will stop them but it may just stall them long enough for them to get spooked by something and move on to the next car.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 08:47 PM   #25
04RC51
Large Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F82 M4

I have a fresh pair of Vans in my trunk if they want them? Otherwise they are just breaking into my car for the change in my change tray. Hell, if they asked me, I would unlock the car and let them take if if they needed it.
      09-12-2014, 07:35 AM   #26
Walt Dockery
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: na

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosman8 View Post

So you want to have to repair your car on top of having your crap stolen? No thanks. I'm all for the keyhole cover, but not in order to push someone to resorting to damaging my baby.
Yes, absolutely. If someone wants in I'd rather make them break a window, make noise, and leave evidence of forced entry. Such damage is generally covered under comprehensive anyway, but even if paying out of pocket I'd much rather force destructive entry. Same goes for my home, my luggage (not always possible), anything else.

Last edited by Walt Dockery; 09-12-2014 at 08:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 04:00 PM   #27
yosman8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: with no oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Dockery
Quote:

So you want to have to repair your car on top of having your crap stolen? No thanks. I'm all for the keyhole cover, but not in order to push someone to resorting to damaging my baby.
Yes, absolutely. If someone wants in I'd rather make them break a window, make noise, and leave evidence of forced entry. Such damage is generally covered under comprehensive anyway, but even if paying out of pocket I'd much rather force destructive entry. Same goes for my home, my luggage (not always possible), anything else.
Got it. Makes the claim easier.
      09-13-2014, 11:35 AM   #28
Walt Dockery
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Got it. Makes the claim easier.

Makes filing an insurance claim easier but it's much more than that. Not knowing immediately you've been victimized means you don't know to file a police report, to cancel credit cards, to take steps to stop possible identify theft, or worse depending what was in the car (computer, wallet, smartphone, house keys, firearm etc). Many of those items don't need to be stolen, merely accessed, to cause harm (ie ID theft), so you may not even know you've been victimized. If you do realize something was stolen, by that time you may not be able to say with certainty when or where it happened, which again is useful for filing a police report etc.

Bottom line if I've been victimized I want to know about it asap regardless if something was taken. This is basic security 101, but is lost on most people (hence the prevalence of sayings like "locks only keep honest people honest", "if someone wants in they'll get in" and other such nonsense).
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 07:31 PM   #29
matthewcornish
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thai357sig View Post
Let em in, at least they won't have to break in through the windows.
Yeah - having had someone break in to my car smashing the driver side window and the fact a year on I still seem to find the occassional bit of glass I would much rather they opened the door with this device - had a snoop around - and then walked off.

Just leave my mints in the armrest, please!
      09-15-2014, 04:44 AM   #30
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewcornish View Post
Yeah - having had someone break in to my car smashing the driver side window and the fact a year on I still seem to find the occassional bit of glass I would much rather they opened the door with this device - had a snoop around - and then walked off.

Just leave my mints in the armrest, please!
Agree and who would leave their credit card in their car. If I was the Bank I wouldn't pay out as you were being negligent.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 08:41 AM   #31
Walt Dockery
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post

Agree and who would leave their credit card in their car. If I was the Bank I wouldn't pay out as you were being negligent.
Well, you're not the bank, and credit card cos don't agree with you as it is covered under fraud protection, on any card I've ever had or would have.

Leaving personal property in a locked vehicle is not negligence, that's laughable.

Most residential locks can be defeated just as easily as the BMW lock in that video, using more common tools (bump keys, picks). Is leaving a credit card in a locked house negligent, too?

Last edited by Walt Dockery; 09-15-2014 at 09:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 10:20 PM   #32
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Dockery View Post
Well, you're not the bank, and credit card cos don't agree with you as it is covered under fraud protection, on any card I've ever had or would have.

Leaving personal property in a locked vehicle is not negligence, that's laughable.

Most residential locks can be defeated just as easily as the BMW lock in that video, using more common tools (bump keys, picks). Is leaving a credit card in a locked house negligent, too?

It is! and you are asking for them to be stolen.

This is why Bank fees and interest rates as well insurance costs are so expensive as people like you don't take the time to secure these items.

Comparing your home to a car is ridiculous your don't drive your home to insecure areas or leave it parked out side. You should be taking responsibility in securing these items.

So you don't use secure passwords on your computer because it should be secure and Banks will pay out the money lost. Just try it use 123456ABC and see if the back will pay out and make your pin number your year you where born.

Last edited by Kiwi; 09-15-2014 at 10:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 01:25 AM   #33
dclowd9901
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Dockery View Post
Such damage is generally covered under comprehensive anyway
a broken window almost certainly wouldn't be more than a deductible.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 08:38 AM   #34
Walt Dockery
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclowd9901 View Post

a broken window almost certainly wouldn't be more than a deductible.

Comprehensive often carries a different (lower) deductible than collision ... But like I said, it doesn't matter as I wouldn't sweat paying for a broken window out of pocket.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 08:44 AM   #35
Walt Dockery
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post

It is! and you are asking for them to be stolen.

This is why Bank fees and interest rates as well insurance costs are so expensive as people like you don't take the time to secure these items.

Comparing your home to a car is ridiculous your don't drive your home to insecure areas or leave it parked out side. You should be taking responsibility in securing these items.

So you don't use secure passwords on your computer because it should be secure and Banks will pay out the money lost. Just try it use 123456ABC and see if the back will pay out and make your pin number your year you where born.

You're making an awful lot of (bad) assumptions here.

One thing that massively compromises security for all of us is the large number of ignorant consumers who tolerate bad locks based on faulty logic such as "but they'll just break a window".
Appreciate 0