E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > police raid car meet. is this the end of meets?

04-04-2008, 01:52 PM   #23
ChaneRZ
If You Aint First, You're last !!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 335i, 01 Honda Prelude

yup F the cops.

08 BMW BSM 335i 6MT (Sports, Premium, NAV, PDC, AS, IPOD, HD Radio, Rear Sunshade, OEM Alarm) Angel iBright V3, Luminics Fog Bulb, Turbo Tuner, K&N Drop in Filter, Dinan Exhaust, Dinan Pedals, Vorsteiner CF Front Lip, and CF Rear Diffuser. Ordered:08/25/07 Started: 09/09/07 Finished: 09/14/07 On Ship: 09/15/07 Arrived: 10/08/07 Delivered: 10/10/07
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 02:19 PM   #24
JayeJaymes
Alien
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB 2016 M4

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
2016 M4  [0.00]
woahhhhh, this is crazy becuase i actually saw all the police cars in that area that day and i wondered what was going on... there are always car meets there every friday because of the huge empty parking lots but i guess there wont be any more lol sucks for them
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 02:37 PM   #25
shragon
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

police departments are so lost.

then again, maybe they're not. great way to make more money with even more overtime.
      04-04-2008, 03:06 PM   #26
its ray den
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Mazda6s

Quote:
So how did the police determine that parts were stolen or not just by looking at the cars? Do these stolen parts have some identifying characteristic that legitimately purchased parts don't have?
a lot of the major parts on your car have VIN numbers etched into them. if those VINs don't match up with what's on your registration, or they're scratched off, that would indicate the part was stolen.

edit: but now that i think about it, i can't remember where i heard that from.. i should look to see if that's true or not.

edit again: from wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VIN_etching

"Most of the parts on a vehicle have at least a partial VIN stamped on them, and reputable auto parts buyers will not buy parts that have identification numbers. Should a thief try to sell the parts from a vehicle for profit, those stamped parts carry a higher risk for both thief and disreputable auto parts seller. Since the glass has no identification number, and is often readily interchangeable with many different years and models of vehicle, there is often a much greater profit for the thief compared to other components on the vehicle."
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 03:23 PM   #27
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
I can't believe people in here support this action. The 4th Amendment gives us allowances for reasonable search and seizure. Because the car looks like something from '2Fast2Furious' doesn't make it reasonable that parts on it are stolen. And it said "document" tickets were given out too - that means they ran the plates on every car and hand checked registration and insurance... seems like an excessive use of power to me.

I get what you are saying about street racing, but to go around to what is effectively a 'car show' and give out front plate tickets is retarded.
A bunch of cars in a public parking lot or public area.. Hoods are probably open ect. 4th amendment does not apply to what is in plain sight.

And I am sure the people at the meet were not the same type at a BMW meet ect. But then again a few people in AZ are banned for BMW meets from their driving behavior.
Appreciate 0