E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > GM copying BMW, very smart

04-05-2006, 04:44 PM   #1
dom1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Thumbs up GM copying BMW, very smart

It appears that GM is copying BMW with this new test track facility
in Las Vegas, except that it's a permanent thing, not just a one weekend autocross.

http://www.autospies.com/article/ind...&categoryId=21

Very smart move ...
1994 Pontiac Sunbird 4 cyl. - retired after 170K miles
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2006, 11:23 PM   #2
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
A RANT!

If this is GM's way of waking up, I applaud them, but they have other core issues to deal with.

But dont let them tell you that employees Health and Pension Plans causes them to loose out to foreign competition. It may add $1200 to the cost of their vehicle, but who cares about their cars. People buy foreign car 2-3x more expensive than theirs bcoz its just better cars.

After, they layoff their workers this June, they wont have a whipping boy anymore to kick around. They, GM managers will be looking at each other Monday morning to say "Now What Do We Do Next?"

They certainly will not call upon themselves to reduced their salaries, Stock Shares, and Pension Plans. They will merely think of another "Dog and Phony Show" for the public to see and admire that they are on the Ball, in holding the Bull by the Horns.

Yeah! GM, Sure, a racetrack, you got to produce cars that can be driven in them first, yeah you got the HHR, wow! or the 425HP "Rolling Coffin" Charger, whoppieee! I seen your Hemi converting into a giant scredder, and an oversized Trike!

Oh! now you got the concept cars huh!?
I say stop dickering around and drop those gas guzzlers H2-3, Tahoe, etc. even at that the Honda Ridgeline kick you ass! and so's the Civic laughing at your Cobalt.

The problem with you GM, is you're too big like the govt. you cant react fast enuf. We have talented American designer, and the best you got is a Lucerne!

I cant even believe that most US cars designs are square edged, Cadillac, Ford and a host of all others. That wasnt accident but pure cost-cut and simplifying sheet-metal molding during fabrication. Square-edges equals less cost! horrah!

I can go on the rant, but who cares, nobody in GM listens.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2006, 05:46 AM   #3
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

I used to own a GM before my BMW (a 10yr old chevy by the time I sold it). It did me well (150k miles). What they are rolling out on showroom floors now is crap. Unless something drastic happens with auto manufacturing here in the US, I will never buy a US car again. The quality is just terrible.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2006, 01:51 PM   #4
dom1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Bavarian19 friend, I agree with you wholeheartedly. My 11 year old Potiac was MUCH more reliable than my wife's Ford. I know for a fact that I will never buy Ford due to reliability. GM and Dodge - not now with the cars that they offer. Anyway, I think the test track is a pretty cool idea. I wouldn't mind trying out a new Corvette in it.
1994 Pontiac Sunbird 4 cyl. - retired after 170K miles
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2006, 01:25 AM   #5
docbolo
BMW worshiper
Rep
Drives: M3/alpine/manual/prem/19"

All I know is everytime I rent a car (american) I wonder how CEO's at GM, FORD, and CHRYSLER can sleep at night. I've got a rented Jeep right now and it rides like a bathtub with pencil erasers for wheels. total garbage. I'm all for supporting american products but for christs sake it feels like the US is still using 1970 technology in their cars.

Cant these companies buy an E90, take it apart, and copy something????

but next time i'm in vegas I will definitely take the vette for a spin! I bet after a few days all the cars will be falling apart and rattling after all these people drive them. did GM think of that?
Appreciate 0