E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Do you guys think this is true?

02-21-2011, 04:26 AM   #1
jayely1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Do you guys think this is true?

Just a question, saw this somewhere.

"If your truly happy or content with something, you will never feel the need to boast about it, only the insecure."
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 06:24 AM   #2
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

I'd generally say yes. People that brag do so because they generally want others to be impressed with them. That is their intent. If you are truly happy and secure in who you are, then it's not necessary to try to impress others, and therefore there is no perceived need to boast.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 06:35 AM   #3
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

One thing though, boasting in the sense of showing off largely does come down to intent. I could tell you that I'm not altogether impressed with interior of my new Porsche, and you may perceive that as being a form of backhanded boasting, when really I'm only stating it in as a matter of fact a manner as I can. If you drive a Ferrari, you probably wouldn't think I was boasting. If you drive a Yugo, you might think me full of it for making such a statement. The bottom line is that either I was trying to show off, or I wasn't, and the only person that knows that with certainty is me.

That's not to say that there aren't times when showing off a bit isn't good. Job interviews for example. You dress well, groom yourself well, and then go tell the person behind the desk all about all the great things you've done in the past. It's a form of licensed boasting so to speak.

Last edited by radix; 02-21-2011 at 06:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 06:41 AM   #4
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
I find that the more insecure you are, the more you think other people are trying to boast
case in point, radix's example with the porsche

a guy in a yugo will think he is just being a snob and showing off his porsche
a guy in a porsche/ferrari will understand the matter of fact of the comment
      02-21-2011, 08:03 AM   #5
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by radix View Post
One thing though, boasting in the sense of showing off largely does come down to intent. I could tell you that I'm not altogether impressed with interior of my new Porsche, and you may perceive that as being a form of backhanded boasting, when really I'm only stating it in as a matter of fact a manner as I can. If you drive a Ferrari, you probably wouldn't think I was boasting. If you drive a Yugo, you might think me full of it for making such a statement. The bottom line is that either I was trying to show off, or I wasn't, and the only person that knows that with certainty is me.

That's not to say that there aren't times when showing off a bit isn't good. Job interviews for example. You dress well, groom yourself well, and then go tell the person behind the desk all about all the great things you've done in the past. It's a form of licensed boasting so to speak.
perfect synopsis
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 12:01 PM   #6
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

I think people boast without even knowing about it at times because they are insecure about something else totally unrelated in their lives...
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 12:29 PM   #7
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Radix has a Porsche?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 12:30 PM   #8
newdadkel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6M CBM

I concur.
If you have to tell everyone how great you are, are you really that great? IF you were, people would have noticed and not need you to tell them.

Another point to this is when people are in authority positions and require constant ego massaging. Whether it is about their work, or how much they make, or where they vacation at, these types seem to be the most insecure. Yet their subordinates are the ones "encouraged" to positively reinforce them constantly.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 01:14 PM   #9
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: Lion

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
I personally feel like being humble is the best way to be. Sometimes when I read through some of these threads I don't know if some people are trying to brag or just showing their accomplishments that they have made. Either way I don't care but i'm just saying.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 01:25 PM   #10
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopealle View Post
I personally feel like being humble is the best way to be. Sometimes when I read through some of these threads I don't know if some people are trying to brag or just showing their accomplishments that they have made. Either way I don't care but i'm just saying.
lots are here to brag.
Compare your M5 thread to the other recent M5 thread. huge difference in presentation.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 02:50 PM   #11
jayely1
Colonel
Rep

Thanks for your guys opinions, I agree with you guys. Its just kinda interesting because people do it so often.
Just not to sure about this comment
"I find that the more insecure you are, the more you think other people are trying to boast"
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 03:10 PM   #12
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
I'd generally say yes. People that brag do so because they generally want others to be impressed with them. That is their intent. If you are truly happy and secure in who you are, then it's not necessary to try to impress others, and therefore there is no perceived need to boast.
Quote:

pretty much /thread in the 2nd and 3rd post lol
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 03:46 PM   #13
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Well...this is a BMW forum...
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 04:11 PM   #14
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Radix has a Porsche?
Need pics
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 04:24 PM   #15
lm1z
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayely1 View Post
Just a question, saw this somewhere.

"If your truly happy or content with something, you will never feel the need to boast about it, only the insecure."
Quote:

+1

Never heard this before but it pretty much sums up how I feel about most assets in my life. Take the M3 for example. I'm a young adult, 24, driving this car. With the majority of my friends being around the same age, the car happens to come up in conversation very often. I often feel uncomfortable having something of this caliber ONLY when it comes up in conversation. To me it's nothing but normal to be driving a car of this stature, but I also feel it's a great privilege.

The only insecurity I ever feel is when I try to phrase things in a way that it doesn't sound arrogant or rude - ie. the specs on the car, it's cost (if someone is truly interested), etc. At the end of the day, YOU are the one creating these feelings and YOU are the one speculating about other people's thoughts.

I've learned to be confident in what have especially because I WORK for what I have. There's also nothing to be ashamed of if you receive help along the way...

Jealously creates insecurity in oneself as well as others.

Just my $.02
Hopefully that's somewhat on point...
      02-21-2011, 04:41 PM   #16
jayely1
Colonel
Rep

I agree, I just think the speculations about people that are trying to boast is very obvious in most ways. Like how you said If someone asks you the price of your car, I think I would, or most people would be able to tell if you are boasting by your answer to that question. Just by your body language and your tone.
Appreciate 0