E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > A day without a Mexican

06-26-2006, 02:42 AM   #23
bostoniant
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
there's nothing wrong with good people trying to make a good living and support their families. but the US is a sovereign nation and has an absolute right to exclude whoever it wants. while I agree that the american economy totally needs immigrant labor, i think it's pretty unwise to make the argument "you need us, so we deserve to stay", instead of the more appropriate "you need us, so won't you let us stay?" The U.S. should let immigrants pursue a lawful course of stay, but if it does, it shouldn't/wouldn't be because illegal immigrants are entitled to it, but only because it's granted to them by a compassionate society. by analogy, as much as I need somebody to fix my leaky faucet, it's not cool for somebody to sneak in my home to do it, and then demand to stay because i need the work done. the "you need us" argument really fails because it's not like illegal immigrants are here out of the goodness of their hearts to do the American economy a favor, they are here to take care of themselves and their families on the American dollar. America is not by a longshot indebted to illegal immigrants; it has been a fair trade thus far. if law abiding, albeit illegal, immigrants want to live free in american society (which in my opinion i think they should) they or those who advocate for them really need to change their attitude in how they approach the issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2006, 02:55 AM   #24
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostoniant
there's nothing wrong with good people trying to make a good living and support their families. but the US is a sovereign nation and has an absolute right to exclude whoever it wants. while I agree that the american economy totally needs immigrant labor, i think it's pretty unwise to make the argument "you need us, so we deserve to stay", instead of the more appropriate "you need us, so won't you let us stay?" The U.S. should let immigrants pursue a lawful course of stay, but if it does, it shouldn't/wouldn't be because illegal immigrants are entitled to it, but only because it's granted to them by a compassionate society. by analogy, as much as I need somebody to fix my leaky faucet, it's not cool for somebody to sneak in my home to do it, and then demand to stay because i need the work done. the "you need us" argument really fails because it's not like illegal immigrants are here out of the goodness of their hearts to do the American economy a favor, they are here to take care of themselves and their families on the American dollar. America is not by a longshot indebted to illegal immigrants; it has been a fair trade thus far. if law abiding, albeit illegal, immigrants want to live free in american society (which in my opinion i think they should) they or those who advocate for them really need to change their attitude in how they approach the issue.
The American Economy can survive without illegal immigrant labor.

Btw, did you attend the DC meet?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2006, 03:09 AM   #25
bostoniant
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
no i'm new! in fact this is my first-ever forum experience. it's pretty fun. next one i'll be there! are you from dc?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2006, 03:19 AM   #26
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostoniant
no i'm new! in fact this is my first-ever forum experience. it's pretty fun. next one i'll be there! are you from dc?
I live in Northern Virginia, basically DC area. Check the regional Mid-Atlantic sub-forum for the next meet. I believe it's a go-kart meet!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2006, 03:22 AM   #27
bostoniant
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
sounds like fun, when is it? i can't find the link
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2006, 03:24 AM   #28
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22970

It still in the works apparently. You can get to the Mid-Atlantic Regional sub-forum from the main page.
Appreciate 0