E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > 2010 Camaros hit thestreets in owner's hands!

04-20-2009, 02:24 PM   #67
adrian1480
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435icp

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
Agreed, I think people here with BMW's( especially the teens as their first car) are expecting too much out of a $22K vehicle( the base Camaro).
I disagree. There are plenty of inexpensive cars that are laid out well. PLENTY.

The issue is that this is not one of them. It's not that it has plastic in it...almost all cars have plastic. It's how it's appointed. It's how it's placed. It's how it makes things look. It looks like GM forced the designers to stare at the old Camaro such that they couldn't take it to another for the creative blocks.

There are ways to take old queues and appointments and apply them to a new vision in a way that retains elements. I feel they did that effectively on the interior. Looks sufficiently new and hot, while remaining unmistakably a blood-heir to the 60s Camaro's. That level of creativity and brilliance seen on the outside didn't make it inside the vehicle. This is why people are frustrated. It just doesn't make me feel like I was expecting it to. And no, I don't have the OMG BMW chip on my shoulder. My first car was a Focus. We've had nothing but GM and Ford cars in the family. No snob here. They simply disappointed me with their use of space on the dash, instrument panels and central console. It's ass...and it should not have been.

I was very close to making this my next vehicle. not so much now. and I'm very disappointed about that. My final judgment, however, will be reserved for seeing it in a showroom.
The credit belongs to those who are actually in the arena, who strive valiantly, who know the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spend themselves in a worthy cause; who, at the best, know the triumph of high achievement and who, at the worst, if they fail, fail while daring greatly so that their place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 02:34 PM   #68
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian1480 View Post
I disagree. There are plenty of inexpensive cars that are laid out well. PLENTY.

The issue is that this is not one of them. It's not that it has plastic in it...almost all cars have plastic. It's how it's appointed. It's how it's placed. It's how it makes things look. It looks like GM forced the designers to stare at the old Camaro such that they couldn't take it to another for the creative blocks.

There are ways to take old queues and appointments and apply them to a new vision in a way that retains elements. I feel they did that effectively on the interior. Looks sufficiently new and hot, while remaining unmistakably a blood-heir to the 60s Camaro's. That level of creativity and brilliance seen on the outside didn't make it inside the vehicle. This is why people are frustrated. It just doesn't make me feel like I was expecting it to. And no, I don't have the OMG BMW chip on my shoulder. My first car was a Focus. We've had nothing but GM and Ford cars in the family. No snob here. They simply disappointed me with their use of space on the dash, instrument panels and central console. It's ass...and it should not have been.

I was very close to making this my next vehicle. not so much now. and I'm very disappointed about that. My final judgment, however, will be reserved for seeing it in a showroom.
Again it is a retro interior. More so then they made the exterior. But, there is nothing I can argue if you don't like the design itself.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 02:48 PM   #69
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian1480 View Post

I haven't sat in one myself just yet (didn't feel like waiting in a queue at the auto show), but I can't imagine the dash layout is that horrendous. The gauges ahead of the shifter are for nostalgic styling purposes only and, IMO, shouldn't be factored into the assessment. Otherwise, it looks like a no-frills driver's dash. That being said, the quality of the materials is likely the only thing worth complaining about.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 02:53 PM   #70
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

I think that is part of the problem. I dont think the interior matches the exterior.

Interior is important to some of us as it is what you are going to be when you drive.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 03:01 PM   #71
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Just apply extra high gloss Armor All to all that plastic and the glare will make it better.

I don't love the interior by any means but it would not be a deal killer for this car @ low 30's with all the performance.

An idea would be to have the large pieces done over in leather. Not cheap but not an absurd cost either. The acres of plastic are really the only bit of oops to me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 03:14 PM   #72
adrian1480
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435icp

^ why does that picture look much better to me? lol

I still would have liked to see more done with the center console, and the plastic on the bottom bar of the steering wheel is f'ing killing me, but the rest looks acceptable to me now. Not that it couldn't still look much, much better...but I could live with the look now.

I'd like to see the silver plastic pieces replaced with real metal or chrome. I think that would enhance my opinion on it greatly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
I think that is part of the problem. I dont think the interior matches the exterior.

Interior is important to some of us as it is what you are going to be when you drive.
agree. I just think they could have been more creative with how they used the old-school stylings on the inside to make it look more modern and retro at the same time. I know they could have.
The credit belongs to those who are actually in the arena, who strive valiantly, who know the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spend themselves in a worthy cause; who, at the best, know the triumph of high achievement and who, at the worst, if they fail, fail while daring greatly so that their place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 03:40 PM   #73
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Cool looking car... this is probably the most modern looking of all the retro-inspired muscle cars. I still like the bloated look of the challenger the best, but for a camaro I think it looks good. It just needs a drop and some serious spacers like all domestic sports cars.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 07:45 PM   #74
LiKWiD335xi
Anthony
Italy
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335xi

95% of Chevys are still on the road.

The other 5% made it home.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 08:35 AM   #75
ChrisV
7er
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1998 BMW 740iL

Garage List
1998 740iL  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiKWiD335xi View Post
95% of Chevys are still on the road.

The other 5% made it home.
That joke was old when it was being used to describe MGs.

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 10:35 AM   #76
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
My cousin works at a Chevy dealer and sent me a text yesterday with a pic of the Camaro. They received 4, two are pre-sold and two are for the showroom.

He didn't like it at all, but now he's seen it in person and says he loves it.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 10:42 AM   #77
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

^ Is he in H Town? The two on the floor are not for sale?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 01:27 PM   #78
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

^
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 01:45 PM   #79
Dmitriy@AUTOcouture
Major
Rep
Drives: carefully

Guys do you hear yourselves? You are asking a near bankrupt auto manufacturer to produce higher end interiors! Do you think that even if they wanted to, they could right now? Its financially impossible and incorrect.

They are trying to get themselves back on their feet and are obviously not doing too great of a job at it - I think that the interior of this car should be the last thing on the mind of a potential buyer, while the question of whether or not the warranty will still be there in a year should be the first.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 02:06 PM   #80
Cris
What's FWD?
Rep
Drives: Former E82, current E39

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
^
They're like our little blocks on each end of our 6-pot calipers - they're there to reduce vibrations.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 02:34 PM   #81
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
I sat in one just last week along with a couple of Challangers, Mustangs and lots of other cars at the NY Autoshow. All 3 American muscle cars are filled with rather inexpensive plastic, but then they're rather inexpensive cars. What struck me most about the Camaro is how cramped it is inside for such a large coupe. The seat doesn't go down enough or far enough back for me. The visibility out is seriously bad. God help anyone trying to learn how to park one of these in a tight spot. You have no idea where the corners are. The smart thing Chevy did was bring 4 of these to the Autoshow as there were a lot of people wanting to check it out. They will probably sell relatively well.

By comparison, stupid Hyundai only had 1 Genesis coupe and it was on a revolving platform so you couldn't even get close to it. Made you wonder what they were thinking.
In fact a couple of the manufacturers seemed locked into the "we are stupid mindset" for either not bringing they're best cars (Suburu) or not letting people into the ones they brought (Mitsubishi - Evo and VW - GTI). At least the American companies were working hard for the audience.
      04-21-2009, 03:27 PM   #82
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris View Post
They're like our little blocks on each end of our 6-pot calipers - they're there to reduce vibrations.
They look like wheels weights....
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 01:06 AM   #83
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i

Quote:
They look like wheels weights....
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 01:39 AM   #84
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Like someone said in this thread I laugh each and everytime I hear about plastics quite frankly Ive never touched my 1er dash since Ive over it execpt with a microfiber cloth. Brembo, LSD, 426 hp, NO ELITIST STIGMA= sounds like a winner. On top of that GMAC always has a promotion when it comes to financing. The dealers are easier to deal with you can chit-chat with the guys over there(from the guys that washes cars to the delivery guys) I kinda miss since I own the Bmw. I used to go to audi with my GT28RS turbo, coilovers etc there were no issues and we were chatting about cars. You dont need a stereo or BS in those camaro's and stang...just have to open the windows and listen to the engine. I still like my 1er but I cant wait to test drive the camaro if its good...Ill take a bath and dump the 1er. Frankly I wont miss the 1er Im a DIY and like to mod my cars....theres no support concerning tuning of most forums(including audi) I miss the budget racers of honda-tech and so I just wished Bmw forums were more like that. I know the camaro forums are like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 12:51 PM   #85
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Not my bag of tricks (im more a 370Z or 135i type) but I've no doubt it will be a hit and sell like hotcakes.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 01:44 PM   #86
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
^ Is he in H Town? The two on the floor are not for sale?
He is. He said 2 of the 4 were not for sale (at least not currently).

It's the dealer off of 290. I noticed last night he had pics on his facebook, and it appears that after he text me they delievered quite a number more than just the first 4.

As far as visibility, I'll look forward to checking out myself. But the Gen4 was a bit odd to look out of, but you become acustom like anything else.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 04:26 PM   #87
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

OK.

They are popping up on Auto Trader. Black SS 6speed is on for 35 something. Gray interior. Then there is a joker wanting 5 over.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 08:40 PM   #88
oilcrankinject
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: nothing

I dont know about you but all I see is more GM bland styling, I mean look at the interior, YUCK.

I consider this just to be more UAW built JUNK from a company that is about to be bankrupt because all than make is crap. I bought my BMW because it was built so much better than any car that either Ford, GM, or Chylser aks UAW could offer.
Appreciate 0