E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > BMW DTM Results from the Nürburgring

08-17-2014, 11:13 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Post BMW DTM Results from the Nürburgring

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW DTM Results from the Nürburgring
COMMENTS
Name:  P90159214-highRes.jpg
Views: 4638
Size:  206.8 KB

Wittmann claims fourth win of the season at home race for BMW Team RMG – Martin and Tomczyk also in the points.

August 17, 2014

Nürburgring (DE), 17th August 2014. Marco Wittmann (DE) took full advantage of his pole position at the Nürburgring (DE), producing an outstanding performance over 49 laps to secure his fourth win of the current DTM season. Wittmann held onto the lead at the start, and gradually pulled away from his rivals over the following laps. After the mandatory pit stop, during which he switched from prime to option tyres, the young German re-joined the race at the head of the field in the Ice-Watch BMW M4 DTM. Wittmann went on to claim the 63rd DTM win for BMW Motorsport and the manufacturer’s 15th since returning to the DTM in 2012. The 24-year-old also clocked the fastest lap time of 1:23.175 minutes en route to presenting BMW Team RMG with its fifth win in the seventh race of the year – and at the team’s home race in the Eifel Mountains.

In the Drivers’ Championship, Wittmann has now pulled 64 points clear of his closest rivals with 120 points to his name. BMW Team RMG has now amassed 159 points, thanks to Wittmann’s win and seventh place for Maxime Martin (BE, SAMSUNG BMW M4 DTM), and now leads the team competition by 67 points. BMW also tops the standings in the Manufacturers’ Championship with 302 points.

As well as the two BMW Team RMG drivers, Martin Tomczyk (DE) also finished in the points in the BMW M Performance Parts M4 DTM. Unlike Wittmann and Martin, the BMW Team Schnitzer driver started on option tyres and then worked his way through the field into eighth place in the second half of the race. The same tactic did not quite come off for Bruno Spengler (CA, BMW Bank M4 DTM), António Félix da Costa (PT, Red Bull BMW M4 DTM) and Joey Hand (US, Crowne Plaza Hotels BMW M4 DTM). They narrowly missed out on a top-ten finish, coming home 12th, 13th and 14th.

Timo Glock (DE) fell well down the field after an early collision with Gary Paffett (GB, Mercedes), leaving him no chance of a points finish in the DEUTSCHE POST BMW M4 DTM. He eventually had to settle for 17th. Augusto Farfus (BR, Castrol EDGE BMW M4 DTM) lost valuable ground through a collision with Jamie Green (GB, Audi) and ultimately retired after 36 laps.

Jens Marquardt (BMW Motorsport Director):
“That was another sensational race from Marco Wittmann. He once again produced a flawless display at the wheel of the heaviest car in the field. The third pole position of the season yesterday, followed by win number four today: Marco and the BMW M4 DTM are the perfect package at the moment. I am very proud of him. After the disappointing qualifying result on Saturday, a couple of our other drivers also picked up points. We witnessed fantastic, exciting fightbacks from Maxime Martin and Martin Tomczyk. Although it is looking very good for Marco in the Drivers’ Championship, we will remain fully focussed. There are still three races to come, with 75 points up for grabs. In the name of the BMW Motorsport family, I would like to dedicate this victory on this special weekend to Dieter Lamm.”

Stefan Reinhold (Team Principal, BMW Team RMG):
“I am overwhelmed. To win our home race here at the Nürburgring with BMW Team RMG is very special for the team and me. Marco Wittmann was not the only one who produced a magnificent performance. Maxime Martin also finished in the points for us. It does not get much better than this. When you look at the overall standings, we took a big step forward today. By winning here today, Marco proved emphatically that he fully deserves to lead the championship. I would like to thank the team and, of course, BMW. At this time of celebration, we are also thinking of Dieter Lamm, who is sadly no longer with us.”

Charly Lamm (Team Principal, BMW Team Schnitzer):
“Given the events of the last two weeks, this was not an easy race weekend here at the Nürburgring for BMW Team Schnitzer. On behalf of the entire team, I would like to thank BMW Motorsport, the entire DTM and, of course, the fans in Germany and around the world for their sympathy and support. Congratulations to Stefan Reinhold and BMW Team RMG on their home win here at the Nürburgring. For us, it was nice to see Martin Tomczyk in the points after a strong race. As far as Bruno Spengler is concerned, we made a strategic error that, given the circumstances, cost him points.”

Ernest Knoors (Team Principal, BMW Team MTEK):
“Congratulations to Marco Wittmann and BMW Team RMG on a sensational performance. Our team did a good job again, but it is obviously frustrating that hard battles so early on in the race dashed any chance Timo Glock might have had.”

Bart Mampaey (Team Principal, BMW Team RBM):
“Congratulations to Marco Wittmann and the other BMW drivers who finished in the points. Given the high performance weights, that is a great result. In contrast, it was a disappointing race for us. The collision with Jamie Green cost Augusto Farfus any chance of a good result.”

Marco Wittmann (car number 23, BMW Team RMG, 1st):
Tyres: Option-Prime
“Pole position and victory made it a perfect weekend at the Nürburgring for me and the team. I had a very good start, led going into turn one, and was able to pull away quickly. My pit stop was also quick and flawless, and that allowed me to stay out in front. The team did a fantastic job. I made a slight mistake in the middle of the race. I braked too late and had to swerve through the chicane. Fortunately that hardly cost me any time. My tyres started to wear towards the end of the race, and I came under pressure again from Mike Rockenfeller. However, I was able to defend my lead and clinch the win at BMW Team RMG’s home race. I am delighted to have been able to give my guys this gift. I would like to dedicate this success to Dieter Lamm, who introduced me to the BMW Motorsport family a few years ago.”

Maxime Martin (car number 24, BMW Team RMG, 7th):
“Starting from P12 and finishing seventh – I would say that was a good race. It was quite tough in the beginning, but then I found a good rhythm. In my second stint on prime tyres I suffered a little bit, but at the end we are scoring points for the team and for BMW. Now let’s see for the next race.”

Martin Tomczyk (car number 10, BMW Team Schnitzer, 8th):
Tyres: Prime-Option
“It obviously feels superb to come through from towards the back of the grid to finish eighth. All in all it was a tough weekend for the entire team. But it was not easy for anyone at BMW Motorsport. For this reason, I would particularly like to congratulate Marco Wittmann. He came up with the goods for BMW today.”

Bruno Spengler (car number 9, BMW Team Schnitzer, 12th):
“That was a weekend to forget for us. We only really had the pace on the option tyres in the race. Unfortunately a mistake with the strategy also cost us more positions. We will have to put this race behind us quickly and concentrate on the remaining three rounds. BMW Team Schnitzer has been through a tough time. Despite the disappointing result today, I am proud of the team. And congratulations to Marco Wittmann and BMW Team RMG on their home win.”

António Félix da Costa (car number 18, BMW Team MTEK, 13th):
“P13 is not a dream result but I have to say that this was probably one of my best races in the DTM, even though it does not look like it and we are pretty far away from the points. Today, for the first time, I felt really good in a long stint. But obviously it will always be difficult when you start from quite a long way back on the grid. I had some good fights on the track and the car was really good.”

Joey Hand (car number 4, BMW Team RBM, 14th):
“The race was quite chaotic. I made a good start and gained some places on the first lap, but the car did not feel right at the start and we struggled with the balance. I lost some places as a result, but then the problems disappeared and I was actually really quick at the end of my first stint. The car also felt good on the option tyres. However, it is not easy to make up a decisive number of places when you are in such a close bunch of cars in the DTM.”

Timo Glock (car number 17, BMW Team MTEK, 17th):
“My race was pretty much over after three corners. I collided with Mattias Ekström and seriously damaged my car in the process. I then had the battle with Gary Paffett later in the race, during which we made contact a few times. That must have been nice for the spectators, but it did not do me any good. I must ensure I get back to starting from further up the grid in the coming races. It is always tight in the pack. Congratulations to Marco Wittmann on his fourth win of the season. Respect to his performances this season.”

Augusto Farfus (car number 3, BMW Team RBM, DNF):
“I am very disappointed. Jamie Green was on the inside and once we touched he kept pushing me outside all the way out of the track limits. I think there was no need for that, but I want to take the time to see the footage before I can judge if it was a fair or an unfair manoeuvre. Anyway, it cost me my race. We had so much damage on the car, but we tried to keep it out on the track in case the weather changed. That did not happen, so we retired.”

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-08-17 at 9.08.14 AM.jpg
Views: 4890
Size:  286.2 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-08-17 at 9.08.14 AM.jpg
Views: 4890
Size:  286.2 KB

Name:  P90159214-highRes.jpg
Views: 4638
Size:  206.8 KB

Name:  P90159216-highRes.jpg
Views: 4408
Size:  149.7 KB

Name:  P90159217-highRes.jpg
Views: 4440
Size:  174.6 KB

Name:  P90159218-highRes.jpg
Views: 4473
Size:  176.4 KB

Name:  P90159219-highRes.jpg
Views: 4410
Size:  215.4 KB

Name:  P90159220-highRes.jpg
Views: 4403
Size:  166.7 KB

Name:  P90159222-highRes.jpg
Views: 4427
Size:  186.2 KB

Name:  P90159224-highRes.jpg
Views: 4397
Size:  166.8 KB

Name:  P90159225-highRes.jpg
Views: 4273
Size:  295.8 KB

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 11:19 AM   #2
MSteve5036
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08/99 M3s

What a season he is having!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 11:30 AM   #3
alexus
boomshakalaka
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i xDrive MSport (F30)

Garage List
Wow
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 02:28 PM   #4
tallshortguy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

He's almost locked up the championship with 3 races to go, very impressive. He's absolutely dominating DTM this season.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 10:15 PM   #5
kathi
Registered
Rep
Drives: dfds

Lol maybe they'll make a new one when they win this year's. That one was from '12