E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The Sports Lounge > Lebron James Rumors/Discussion Thread

07-09-2010, 08:04 AM   #265
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

Mike Miller is a good pick up... However, they don't have any money for a big man. Who is gonna guard Dwight Howard, Big Baby, Gasol, or (old man) Timmy D? Some minimum salary guy? You can call me a hater all you want. No team wins a championship without a big guy in the middle. You think Shaq will take minimum salary? Tell me who else can guard the paint that is in the free agent market right now. Cavs were completely dismantled in the playoffs 2 years ago by Dwight. Cavs were the better team, but in that instance, one man made the difference. The Suns can tell you first hand... Defense wins championships. Look at beleaguered boston, they nearly won a championship being a strong defensive team with very few offensive weapons.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 08:16 AM   #266
SpacE82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M-Sport 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [8.50]
I agree with everyone else, 3 superstars, minus a bench and a center will not win a championship. Those 3 superstars wont be superstars every night. I wouldnt crown them champs just yet... Like I said earlier, what about the teams who didnt get LeBron and still have $20 million to spend? Chicago was a contender without LeBron, now they have $20 million to spend on players to make the bench more solid and pick up some solid role players...
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 08:20 AM   #267
Javi335
Troll but nice
Spain
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

As a huge fan of Yulio Iglesias and since he is one of the MH co-owners i bless this signing.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 08:32 AM   #268
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo335 View Post
How is that even comparable? We are talking about Karl Malone and Gary Payton desperate move to win a championship. Do you even know how old Karl Malone was when he went to the Lakers? He was 42 years old. Gary Payton was 37 years old. Even though they were old farts, they almost won the championship playing against the Detroit. Not to mention, Karl Malone was injured during that series. They were championship contender and had a good shot at it.

However, we are comparing LBJ who is age 25, Bosh 26, and Wade 27. They have a lot of gas inside their tank. All they need is a decent center and they are ready to go.
The problem is finding a decent center. Shaq isn't the answer IMO. He won't play all 82 games. You need roster fillers at this point. Big men get overpaid. Even broken ass Jermaine O'Neal got the full MLE. Brendan Hayword got like 10 mil per year. Miami looks good so far but I still think they are at least 2 years away from a Championship.

They need the MLE but that might not exist after the next CBA. We will see. The NBA sure got more interesting though!

On a Lakers related note and other teams, I see all the teams gearing up more now. It's like an arms race. Similar to what happened after the Lakers traded for Gasol, the other contenders will bid and even overpay to compete.

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 09:14 AM   #269
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

This is one of the best, true articles I've read about this... thought I'd share:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ent/index.html
      07-09-2010, 09:35 AM   #270
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Interesting take on it:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ent/index.html

Great read.

Quote:
LeBron hardly a king for taking the easy way out with star-laden Heat

Story Highlights
LeBron's quotes on ESPN exposed his willingness to no longer be top dog
Jordan, Bird, Magic and Russell would've never left a challenge for an all-star team
There will be no excuses for the Heat, should they fail to win multiple titles

GREENWICH, Conn., July 8, 1990 -- Michael Jordan announced on national television he's leaving Chicago to join the Detroit Pistons. Jordan said it was tough to bolt Chicago, where he was the most popular athlete in many years, because he thinks he has a better chance to win a championship if he plays with Pistons star Isiah Thomas. Jordan said by playing together, he and Thomas "won't have the pressure of going out and scoring 30 every night."

That would have sounded absurd, right? Well, it is no more absurd than what LeBron James is doing. Jordan was 27 years old in 1990, slightly older than James is now. He had never been to the NBA Finals. He had been beaten up by the Celtics and Pistons for years. He doubted his supporting cast was good enough.

But he never doubted himself.

And it became very clear Thursday night that LeBron James does doubt himself. James will be a champion in Miami -- if not next year, then sometime after that. If you put James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh together and give Pat Riley five years to find the complementary pieces, that team will win a championship.

But James does not have the heart of a champion. He does not have the competitive fire of Jordan, the bull-headed determination of Kobe Bryant, the quiet self-confidence of Tim Duncan, the willful defiance of Isiah or the winning-is-everything hunger of Magic Johnson.

He is an extremely gifted player who wants the easy way out.

And how do we know this?

James said so himself.

Oh, not in so many words. But once ESPN was done ESPN-izing its LeBron coverage -- filling it with babbling experts, needless hype and Jim Gray submitting his top six entries in the Stupidest Question Ever contest -- the self-proclaimed King said everything you need to know about him.

1. "You have to do what's best for you, and what's going to make you happy."

This is what's going to make him happy? Sharing a stage with two other stars? Really?

I guess that's all LeBron is: A complementary player with superstar talent. We should have figured this out before: He got that giant CHOSEN 1 tattoo on his back and calls himself King James because he is desperate for reassurance.

There is no greater challenge in sports getting drafted by a godawful team, planting your flag in a city and working like crazy until you have turned that team into a champion.

LeBron James didn't want the challenge. He wanted to play with his buddies.

2. "We don't have the pressure of going out and scoring 30 every night or shooting a high percentage."

Whoa. Hold on there. Scoring 30 a night is too much pressure for one of the five most talented players ever?

Find me another all-time NBA great who would utter those words. Jordan would rather do an adidas commercial than say that. Bryant must have laughed as he heard the so-called "King" say that. Larry Bird? The next time he complains about pressure will be the first. Magic was the greatest team player of the last 40 years, but he was also so competitive that he wanted to play Jordan one-on-one in a promotional event -- and this was when Magic had won titles and Jordan had not, so Magic had more to lose.

3. "I know how loyal I am."

The man just dumped his hometown(s) on national television. Cleveland (and, by extension, Akron) happens to be the most tortured sports city in America. To do that, then say "I know how loyal I am" ... wow, wow, wow.

I wish I could sit in on one of LeBron's meetings with his advisers. Does he make them all wear mirrored sunglasses, so that when he looks at them he sees himself?

We really don't ask that much of our sports stars. Try not to get arrested for anything big. Don't curse at the fans. You know, small stuff. We even understand that 95 percent of the time, they will make career decisions based on money -- we might not love it, but we understand it.

But see, the biggest thing that we ask of our sports stars is this: Take the competition as seriously as we do.

When LeBron James loses to Boston in the playoffs, we want him to take the heat, not take the Heat's offer. We want him to spend the summer adding to his game, calling and texting his teammates, plotting to do better next season.

Instead, well ...

4. "It's about joining forces with the other two guys."

He sounds like a nine-year-old playing Star Wars games with his buddies at a sleepover. And again: I do believe this Miami team will win a title. But it won't be as easy as he wants it to be. Miami will have the weakest bench of any contender next season After that, the NBA will have a lockout, and the league could eliminate the mid-level exception, which would be Miami's best tool for adding talent.

So this is a cop-out, but it's not as easy of a cop-out as it appears. And that brings us to ...

5. "This is the greatest challenge for me."

LeBron James just jumped into an elevator and wants us to think he can fly. Sorry, but we know better. We know that he did something Michael, Magic, Bird and BillRussell never would have done. We know he ditched Cleveland for an All-Star team.

But you know what? In Miami, anything short of a title will be a failure. Nobody outside of Miami will root for this team, and nobody in Miami roots for anybody. They're too busy enjoying the weather.

I thought he would stay in Cleveland, because I thought all he cared about was adoration. I was wrong about Cleveland, but he is wrong about adoration. He thinks he'll get it by winning a title. He has insulated himself from the world, surrounded himself with yes men. He has no idea how much backlash he is about to get.

That's one of the great ironies of this -- James is trying to flee pressure, but he will just face more of it. He is trying to maximize his "brand," but he just damaged it.

The first time I watched LeBron James live, I thought he could be the greatest player ever. The sad truth for us, for him, and for the NBA is that he never really believed it himself.

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 09:40 AM   #271
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
as a heat fan, i love the move. but as an NBA fan, that article hit it right on the head. You cant blame Wade for wanting this, he's 28 years old and his speed wont be there for long. Bosh has never had a good team, so you cant blame him either. But Lebron is gonna get hell for the rest of his career over this
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 09:42 AM   #272
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar929 View Post
as a heat fan, i love the move. but as an NBA fan, that article hit it right on the head. You cant blame Wade for wanting this, he's 28 years old and his speed wont be there for long. Bosh has never had a good team, so you cant blame him either. But Lebron is gonna get hell for the rest of his career over this
I think he could've been successful doing the same thing with the Bulls squad tbh. It would've made the ECF much more exciting with the Bulls, Magic, Celtics, and Heat in the mix.

He couldn't live in Jordan's shadow IMO. It's funny, Kobe was willing to go there. That's the difference between the two players right there.

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 09:52 AM   #273
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC 335i View Post
I think he could've been successful doing the same thing with the Bulls squad tbh. It would've made the ECF much more exciting with the Bulls, Magic, Celtics, and Heat in the mix.

He couldn't live in Jordan's shadow IMO. It's funny, Kobe was willing to go there. That's the difference between the two players right there.
yea for sure, the ONE thing ive always hated about Lebron is the lack of killer instinct. Hopefully Wade shows him how is done. Its the reason why Kobe will always be far greater

but hey, we'll see what happens this season. so when does it start 7/10?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 10:11 AM   #274
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '04 330i ZHP

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [9.50]
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
wow nice article
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 10:18 AM   #275
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensta335 View Post
This is how he feels.

Lol.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 10:29 AM   #276
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

There is no doubt they need more depth. But to say that if one of them gets injured, the chance of getting a title is over? The same can be said about practically any team. Lakers without Kobe? Nuggets without Carmelo? Hell, when KG got hurt 2 seasons ago, look what happened.

I agree with OC335, it will take a season or two to get the roster loaded correctly. I think the Lakers will take this year, then L.C.D. will be the next dynasty.

I also heard this morning that tickets are sold out for Heat games already?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 10:31 AM   #277
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep

http://store.nba.com/home/index.jsp

LOL Lebron told Mario quickly that he's going to be number 6.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 10:34 AM   #278
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 10:35 AM   #279
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post
I heard it was only season tickets that were sold out but wouldnt surprise me if they did
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 10:37 AM   #280
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

That article is psshhhhhh.

Dude left out on $30 million dollars by not signing to Cleveland, if he stayed there they would all say it was for the money.

By not playing for the Knicks, dude won't play for the biggest stage in the NBA. If he went there it would've been for the fame.

By not playing for the Bulls, dude's missing out on a better team core, and the chance to follow the footsteps of the GOAT. If he went there it would've been to challenge MJ's spot as the greatest Bull of all time.

Instead of all this, Lebron James forfeited any future argument of him being better than MJ. Dude gave up his chance of becoming the GOAT in an attempt to instead create what could become the greatest TEAM of all time...

and people are calling him selfish? GTFO. He just wants to win. Doesn't everyone? This scrutiny is ridiculous.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 10:40 AM   #281
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
I personally promise they will not go better than 72-10... EVER
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 10:46 AM   #282
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
There is no doubt they need more depth. But to say that if one of them gets injured, the chance of getting a title is over? The same can be said about practically any team. Lakers without Kobe? Nuggets without Carmelo? Hell, when KG got hurt 2 seasons ago, look what happened.

I agree with OC335, it will take a season or two to get the roster loaded correctly. I think the Lakers will take this year, then L.C.D. will be the next dynasty.

LCD might be the next dynasty, we will see. There's a lot of teams there that can be competitive. People are failing to mention, how will teams respond? Look what the other teams in the NBA did when the Lakers got Gasol. They geared up big time.

Yep, people bought them fast. They are reselling on stub hub though.

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 11:03 AM   #283
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep

I also wonder if LeBron will still do his antics, ie the chalk throw and the various types of hand shakes.

LOL at the owner of the Cavs sounding super angry. You fired the coach, you fired the G.R., and you said Lebron quit?

I give LeBron props for always speaking in a proper manner during his interviews.

He's the only one that has lived up to the hype, ring or no ring. ESPN broadcast his high school games and when he came to the league, he was basically the savior to bring the title back to Cleveland.

I do feel bad for the small business owners in Cleveland that will be affected by LeBron leaving though.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 11:06 AM   #284
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
I also wonder if LeBron will still do his antics, ie the chalk throw and the various types of hand shakes.

LOL at the owner of the Cavs sounding super angry. You fired the coach, you fired the G.R., and you said Lebron quit?

I give LeBron props for always speaking in a proper manner during his interviews.

He's the only one that has lived up to the hype, ring or no ring. ESPN broadcast his high school games and when he came to the league, he was basically the savior to bring the title back to Cleveland.

I do feel bad for the small business owners in Cleveland that will be affected by LeBron leaving though.
I think you need to listen to it again. He barely even thanked Cleveland. He referred to himself in 3rd person and was pretty arrogant IMO. He seemed insincere.

Over/under on Dan Gilbert for exposing the truth about Lebron's mom/Delonte West?

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 11:10 AM   #285
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep

I saw the thing when it aired, and probably about 2-3 hours worth of commentary afterward. He didn't seem arrogant to me. I also didn't think MJ was arrogant during his Hall of Fame speech that he got flamed for..so maybe it's just me.

I caught the 3rd person remark, I believed he said something like "I have to do what's best for LeBron James". I think he stated it like this because he referred himself as LeBron James the brand. It will be more marketable if he wins. Hell I'm sure his jersey sales will be number 1 after this season.

He said his heart will always be in Cleveland. He said that he did his best at an attempt to bring an NBA title back to the city.

If I was in his shoe, I would do the same thing. If I recall correctly, Lebron, Carmelo, and Dwayne are really close friends. If I had a chance to go play with a good friend who is a great player with a chance to win a title...I'd do it in a heart beat.

It's easier to complain about things from the fans' point of view because the fans will never go through the situation he did.
Hopefully I can catch a game with the Clippers since Lakers will be too $$.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 11:17 AM   #286
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep

I wonder if Nike will capitalize on this. Dwayne is with Jordan and LeBron is with Nike. Cannot wait to see the commercials!
Appreciate 0