E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography > Review your DSLR camera equipment for me.

12-04-2008, 01:22 AM   #23
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teshi View Post
Right, now two majorly recommended primes have always either been the 50mm or 85mm (24's and 35's come in close too) and I have said to myself, primes are just not creative enough or flexible enough to be of any use. Boy was I wrong.

Now I did own a 85mm 1.8 prior to this and never gave it a chance. I like my zooms due to the versatile nature but one thing is, its never going to be as fast as a prime.

So after buying my second, I have come to realise how magic primes are. They just force you to take a step back, give you so much more play with DOF and just make you think harder about composition every time.

So how did it handle? Well, virtually every situation, stunning. Sure its not L series glass but maybe these photos can speak for themselves. I have tried to keep the PP simple and no sharpening has been done here.

So what I found is some magic at a small cost.

Pro's
- Quick AF
- Light and compact
- Sharp throughout
- Creamy bokeh

Con's
- MFD is a bit of a reach (move your feet)
- CA is noticeable if you pixel peep
- Makes you want an 85L!

So what is my final verdict, im hooked on primes and would consider selling my 24-70L to fund some non L primes!
so are those with a 1.8 or a 1.4, I'm assuming 1.4?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 03:02 AM   #24
Teshi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Blue/Usually full of camera ge

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdflkijd View Post
so are those with a 1.8 or a 1.4, I'm assuming 1.4?
Canon only have an 85mm featuring f/1.8 or f/1.2. Sadly I cannot afford the 85mm 1.2L

The shots all posted were all at f/1.8.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 06:25 AM   #25
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teshi View Post
Canon only have an 85mm featuring f/1.8 or f/1.2. Sadly I cannot afford the 85mm 1.2L

The shots all posted were all at f/1.8.
Wow I'm going to have to go test one out at the store. I'm planning on picking up a 50mm 1.8 today
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 08:25 AM   #26
MCS
e90 newbie
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 E93

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I'm a Nikon guy because previous to the Digital SLRs, I had a Nikon Film Camera and my old (sold) 50mm f1.8. The Digital SLRs could use the same lenses so I stuck with the lenses that I had.

My Cousin Shoots Canon and take great pics with his outfit.

Bottom line - I don't think you can go wrong with either system.

The fixed prime lenses does force me to frame up the picture and move around a bit more than my zoom lens. However, 95% of the time, I use my 18-200 lens. Its damn good

My other comment is that I have switched from storing my pics on a Dell/Windows PC to a Mac. For some reason, the pictures seem to "pop" from the screen better on the Mac. Apple must make their LCD screens brighter, or more colors. I don't have scientific evidence, but think that the Mac serves up the images better.

Nothing substitutes good light and timing...
      12-04-2008, 02:28 PM   #27
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCS View Post
I'm a Nikon guy because previous to the Digital SLRs, I had a Nikon Film Camera and my old (sold) 50mm f1.8. The Digital SLRs could use the same lenses so I stuck with the lenses that I had.

My Cousin Shoots Canon and take great pics with his outfit.

Bottom line - I don't think you can go wrong with either system.

The fixed prime lenses does force me to frame up the picture and move around a bit more than my zoom lens. However, 95% of the time, I use my 18-200 lens. Its damn good

My other comment is that I have switched from storing my pics on a Dell/Windows PC to a Mac. For some reason, the pictures seem to "pop" from the screen better on the Mac. Apple must make their LCD screens brighter, or more colors. I don't have scientific evidence, but think that the Mac serves up the images better.

Nothing substitutes good light and timing...
Macs are known for their vivid image quality.. hence why all the artists use em , have you tried aperture?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 09:55 PM   #28
Jurisprudent
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 335i M-Sport

I've shot with a Canon Rebel G film camera a few times in the past, so I expected that I would buy a Canon DSLR, but I did not. I have no problem with Canon, but I felt, that for me, the Nikon line of DSLRs just felt better in my hand and the build quality seemed better as well.

That said, I have a Nikon D60 and I've been very happy with it. I'm only just beginning to scratch the surface of things I can learn to do with this camera and photography in general. I have an older copy of Photoshop CS that I'm trying to learn how to use (although Gimp 2 seems to offer almost as much power?). Very happy with the purchase - trying to decide what lens I should get next.

Currently have an 18-55 VR and a 55-200 VR (both Nikon/Nikkor glass)