E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > What to do when witnessing a car crash?

01-19-2010, 10:58 AM   #1
I_can_drive_stick_now
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335

What to do when witnessing a car crash?

Some moron ran a red light at 40+ mph and hit a truck right in front of me this morning as we were all turning left at a busy intersection. I pulled to the side and call the police, but left shortly after since there is oncoming traffic.

Should I have gotten out of the car and check on all people involved in addition to calling the police? How does everyone handle situations like this to ensure safety of everyone involved?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 11:14 AM   #2
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_can_drive_stick_now View Post
Some moron ran a red light at 40+ mph and hit a truck right in front of me this morning as we were all turning left at a busy intersection. I pulled to the side and call the police, but left shortly after since there is oncoming traffic.

Should I have gotten out of the car and check on all people involved in addition to calling the police? How does everyone handle situations like this to ensure safety of everyone involved?

If conditions allowed, I would have checked on the safety of the drivers...when I wrecked my car, quite a few people stopped to see if my gf and I were okay.
      01-19-2010, 11:20 AM   #3
Mk23
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92

Garage List
2009 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:

I (along with my Mom and sister) were hit by a red light runner a year and a half ago and had no witnesses stop to give us their information, the police had no way of determining who was at fault so they just wrote down that we were both at fault i.e. "Careless Driving". Had a very long court battle and in the end the girl who hit us got off because there were no witnesses.

Also, it's only decent to at least see if someone is okay after an accident. I had an EMT get out of his truck and see if we were okay when I was in the accident, he was very nice and comforted me a bit, unfortunately he didn't stick around for the police or write his info down, so in the end we got screwed.

Moral of the story? When you see an accident happen you should always stop, get out, write down your name and phone number and give it to the victim of the accident. It may save their financial life.
      01-19-2010, 11:43 AM   #4
Scorpion
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Nothing

I would check to see if everyone was ok. It would probably bug me if I would have left knowing that I could have helped out or been by their side. Nice username by the way lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 11:44 AM   #5
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
I would contact the police again and tell them you witnessed the accident and tell them your account.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 12:13 PM   #6
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
I would stop and call the police, check the drivers, ask for ambulence if needed then leave my numbers to drivers to give witness statement if needed (only if I like the drivers).

Last time I got into an accident in middle of major highway at night on blind spot, one UPS driver stopped and parked his truck behind my car with his emergency sign tools to avoid direct hit by another oncoming vehicle until police arrived, and another van stopped and had me be in his vehicle (as it was sub freeze raining). After that, I always try to do my best when I witness an accident.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 12:23 PM   #7
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlstyle View Post
I would stop and call the police, check the drivers, ask for ambulence if needed then leave my numbers to drivers to give witness statement if needed (only if I like the drivers).
i would help, but not offer my info or to be a witness...
      01-19-2010, 12:29 PM   #8
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep
Drives: '91 E30, '05 ZX6-R, '06 300C

As an agent myself, I'd check on everyone's condition to make sure they were ok. I'd call the police if there were injuries and pass my information on to both parties as a witness. If time allowed and there WERE injuries, I'd stick around for the police to bear witness on the report.
      01-19-2010, 12:46 PM   #9
I_can_drive_stick_now
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I would check to see if everyone was ok. It would probably bug me if I would have left knowing that I could have helped out or been by their side. Nice username by the way lol.
Yeah.. bugged the hell out of myself for being indecisive the entire morning

Hopefully won't happen again, but definitely will stop to see if i can help if it happens again
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 01:20 PM   #10
Nifty
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3

I think the good ole' golden rule applies here. If you were in an accident would you want someone to see if you're ok, call for help if needed, and or give you their information as a possible witness?

To the OP, dont beat yourself up over it, you had a moment of indecision, you're human. Like you said, next time you'll know what to do.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 02:44 PM   #11
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Many times when there is a bad accident, the next day I see signs to the effect "If you saw it, call 555-1212" so go ahead and call tehpolice if you think you saw something difinitive.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 03:28 PM   #12
my92
Rep
n/a
Drives:

At those types of accidents, witnesses are lifesavers. I had similar situation and thank God there were some witnesses who stayed behind and waited for the cops to come to give them the story. Pretty nice of them to. They led me out of the car and sat me down on the grass, gave me water, some cookies, a banana, and all their information so I could contact them if they needed a witness at a court hearing ( wasn't needed though since the cops decided on the spot it was the other drivers fault because there were so many witnesses). Now whenever i witness an accident I do the same.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 03:32 AM   #13
spectrumphoto
Just another peanut in the Turd!
United_States
Rep
Drives: g16M850;f30M550;f80M3-ED;e90M3

Ditto to the idea that a good person would stop and check to see if everyone was OK. If you could, stay around and give a police report. If you can not stay then leave your contact info with the person who was hit.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 08:40 AM   #14
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk335i View Post
I (along with my Mom and sister) were hit by a red light runner a year and a half ago and had no witnesses stop to give us their information, the police had no way of determining who was at fault so they just wrote down that we were both at fault i.e. "Careless Driving". Had a very long court battle and in the end the girl who hit us got off because there were no witnesses.

Also, it's only decent to at least see if someone is okay after an accident. I had an EMT get out of his truck and see if we were okay when I was in the accident, he was very nice and comforted me a bit, unfortunately he didn't stick around for the police or write his info down, so in the end we got screwed.

Moral of the story? When you see an accident happen you should always stop, get out, write down your name and phone number and give it to the victim of the accident. It may save their financial life.
great advise. didn't really though of that before to be honest. now I know.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 11:56 AM   #15
McMuffin
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Widebody 92

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 11:58 AM   #16
McMuffin
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Widebody 92

Quote:

That sucks!! Here in California both parties can't be at fault; only one party gets the bodshop bill.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 02:11 PM   #17
Mk23
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92

Garage List
2009 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis2012 View Post
i would help, but not offer my info or to be a witness...
People like you are why this country is going down the tubes. No one wants to get involved, so everyone is on their own in this society.
      01-20-2010, 02:16 PM   #18
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

Quote:
People like you are why this country is going down the tubes. No one wants to get involved, so everyone is on their own in this society.
i don't get why that's such a big deal. he doesn't want to be involved in someone else's suit. i wouldn't either. i might give a short statement to a cop, but i wouldn't want them contacting me later on in case of a lawsuit.
Appreciate 0