E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > East Coast Colleges..

02-21-2006, 09:23 PM   #67
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

My dad graduated from Pace in NYC and he liked it but that was a while ago.
I was going to go to Northeastern but I didn't feel like sticking around for those winters, so I moved here. It was 80 today It's also about $35,000 cheaper every year to go to school here as opposed to basically any school up north. UConn is a good school but it's in the middle of nowhere and I used to lived right by there so it was kind of boring to me.

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2006, 09:38 PM   #68
Explorer3253
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 f32

sorry..gotta throw out the school pride some how =) haha
      02-21-2006, 09:51 PM   #69
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki
UConn is a good school but it's in the middle of nowhere and I used to lived right by there so it was kind of boring to me.
Hey...speaking of UConn - you have anything more to say of it? I'm going there in a couple weeks (more specifically UConn Health Center in Farmington but I'll most likely have to take classes at UConn). Never been to CT in my life.
      02-21-2006, 11:27 PM   #70
jasonc
HI!
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Jerez Black and Fox Red

OH, well if we are giving shouts to our schools let me get in on that...

University of Michigan in Ann Arbor.
      02-21-2006, 11:59 PM   #71
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks
Hey...speaking of UConn - you have anything more to say of it? I'm going there in a couple weeks (more specifically UConn Health Center in Farmington but I'll most likely have to take classes at UConn). Never been to CT in my life.
Well I grew up in Branford, which is on the ocean and is suburban but moved to Tolland when I was 16 and it is quite a different story. Many of the northern parts of Ct are rural with few houses and lots of forests-really pretty but boring. I lived about 10 minutes from UConn so I used to go there to hang out with the "college crowd" and go to the Friendly's on campus--mostly a northeast chain. The campus is kind of quiet, smells like manure in some parts because there's lot of cows. The buildings are pretty, old and made of brick. There lots of grass to hang out on. As far as things to do, there's the Friendly's, Margaritas (Mexican place), and a couple smaller bars and restaurants and that's about it. If you want McDonald's it's about 25 minutes, Wendy's is 35 minutes (you have to go to Massachusetts), and any restaurants like Chili's, Ruby Tuesday's etc. are about 30 minutes away. The closest mall is also about 30 minutes from there. Everything is about 15-30 miles away but when you finally get to the highway (takes about 15 minutes) you can get anywhere pretty quick because there is hardly any traffic ever, even during "rush hour".

As far as the school academically, it is pretty good but I've heard that they're getting much stricter and letting in fewer students because they are way overcrowded in dorms and classes compared to before their basketball teams got big. It's also a pretty big party school as far as everyone sits around and has keggers in the woods because there is nothing to do and nowhere to go. That didn't really appeal to me, that's why I moved here so I could go to the beach, the mall, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, there is an endless list of things to do here so I don't ever drink or do drugs simply because I'm bored, lol.

edit:
Oh and Farmington is a very nice town. It's a nice mix of suburbs but still pretty and it's kind of upscale.

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2006, 01:23 AM   #72
BellasBmw
If love is the answer,please rephrase the question
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tit Silver 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Thanks for the tips guys. I got the acceptance package today from hofstra (they 1st informed me via email). I have till May 1 to decide whether or not to accept. So im going to wait till i hear back from everyone which should be by early april.

Edit: AS for my bimmer, well its a hard hard hard decision. But i think ill have to leave her behind. It will cost me alot to drive x country (plus miles). And if i ship her, its $900 each way. Its great and all just one time, but i have to come back for winter break, summer..etc. Im better off buying a used car out there for around $3500. Its SOOOO shitty downgrading but hey, its only for a little while. Plus i take framed pics of her and say "literally, this is my other car"
      02-22-2006, 02:00 AM   #73
magmd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
hmm...east coast....burrrrr

I was in Boston for 4 years. I know you have plenty of advice that may be thrown at ya...but if you ever want to discuss colleges/grad schools..let me know. I did not have much help from my family/parents either, so I know it can be rather difficult. Like you, I had to figure it things out myself. Good luck...let me know if I can help.

02-27-2006, 01:27 PM   #74
BellasBmw
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I got accepted into Monmouth University! They are also giving me $4500 each year as a scholarship. I have no idea why.. haah
      02-27-2006, 01:29 PM   #75
Squawks
United_States
Rep

Congratulations! Start looking for housing later It's only late Feb right now. So you have more than a few months. Plenty of time.
      02-27-2006, 01:29 PM   #76
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellasBmw
I got accepted into Monmouth University! They are also giving me $4500 each year as a scholarship. I have no idea why.. haah
Because you're so f*****n smart! Careful, didn't you ever see "The Devil's Advocate"?

Ha ha ha...just kidding, congrats, Bella!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2006, 01:41 PM   #77
Squawks
United_States
Rep

What are the tuition costs gonna be? I am imagining it's going to be a bitch because you're out of state...
      02-27-2006, 01:47 PM   #78
BellasBmw
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I asked her bout housing.. She told me that they will take into consideration my age/gender/credits..etc. So they wont be putting me into a dorm with 18 yr old girls. Basically she said that i will be placed into an apartment with older students, or they can help me look for off campus housing since on campus is limited. But i should be able to get on campus. Whew, atleast i can stay in an apartment and not a "dorm"..

The tuition will prob be alot, but $4500 off is pretty nice. Once i move there, cant i apply for resident next year?

Out-of-State Tuition: $20,066

When i applied for fasfa, i hadnt applied to monmouth yet. So how can i add monmouth to my list of schools for fasfa?
      02-27-2006, 01:49 PM   #79
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellasBmw
Out-of-State Tuition: $20,066
Unfortunately, that sound about right
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2006, 01:50 PM   #80
Squawks
United_States
Rep

20k? That is steep. UCSD, which is pretty expensive relative to other CA universities, only run about 15k a year for an instate student. And it's a UC.

Why don't you ask them if you're gauranteed another year of housing. Otherwise, you'd be living on campus your 1st year at Monmouth and then you'll have to move out to another apartment off-campus the next year. Unless you are going home for the entire summer, it might be a better idea to just abandon your apartment and not pay rent for the 3 months you won't be in Jersey. The bitch about this abandonment scenario is that you would have to store all of your furniture and stuff (if any) in some sort of self-storage unless you can manage to bring everything home.

EDIT: Call/mail FAFSA.
      02-27-2006, 01:58 PM   #81
BellasBmw
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
20k? That is steep. UCSD, which is pretty expensive relative to other CA universities, only run about 15k a year for an instate student. And it's a UC.

Why don't you ask them if you're gauranteed another year of housing. Otherwise, you'd be living on campus your 1st year at Monmouth and then you'll have to move out to another apartment off-campus the next year. Unless you are going home for the entire summer, it might be a better idea to just abandon your apartment and not pay rent for the 3 months you won't be in Jersey. The bitch about this abandonment scenario is that you would have to store all of your furniture and stuff (if any) in some sort of self-storage unless you can manage to bring everything home.

EDIT: Call/mail FAFSA.
Yes i would be coming home for the summer
      02-27-2006, 01:59 PM   #82
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep

This seems to be an A-B conversation, so I guess I should C my way out of it...
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2006, 02:08 PM   #83
Squawks
United_States
Rep

Join in, buddy. You're on the east coast and really close to Jersey. You can probably even visit Bella (unless Scottz is overly territorial/dominating like a lion).

Oh, hey, I was in Philadelphia yesterday but unfortunately I didn't get to try a Philly cheesesteak. Damn myself.

EDIT: Philly only appears to be like 50 miles away from Hazleton, too!
      02-27-2006, 02:33 PM   #84
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep

Ha ha, I was just trying to add some comic relief

Yeah, Philly is awesome. Last time I went to Atlantic City (never again ) we took the schuykill expressway right through downtwon philly. I love it!

Philly cheesesteak!!! Don't get me started! Now I'm hungry!

My best friend from high school lives there now, but he's at Temple in the pharmacy program. I think this is his fourth year. In two years he'll be a doctor of pharmacy!

He won't be comming back here, though I'm afraid
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2006, 02:33 PM   #85
BellasBmw
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Join in, buddy. You're on the east coast and really close to Jersey. You can probably even visit Bella (unless Scottz is overly territorial/dominating like a lion).

Oh, hey, I was in Philadelphia yesterday but unfortunately I didn't get to try a Philly cheesesteak. Damn myself.

EDIT: Philly only appears to be like 50 miles away from Hazleton, too!

Id love company!

Anyway i talked to the lady, since the school is private, there is no out of state/instate tuition.
      02-27-2006, 02:38 PM   #86
Squawks
United_States
Rep

No out of state tuition? Then damn that is an expensive tuition!

Yeah, sharp - I am surprised you're discontent with where you're living now even though you have all these great cities nearby!
      02-27-2006, 02:43 PM   #87
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, sharp - I am surprised you're discontent with where you're living now even though you have all these great cities nearby!
Yeah, both NYC and Philly are about equal distances from here, but that's about 2 hours. It's not bad, but far enough that I only visit Philly about twice a year, and NYC maybe once a year, around Christmas for some shopping and to see a show.

The closest "somewhat big" cities are Scranton and Allentown. Now they are awesome little towns...not too big, not too small...just right! It's too bad they are even like 40 minutes away.

I just can't win. Seriously Squawks, I'm in the middle of nowhere here!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2006, 02:46 PM   #88
puck724
COLTS 4 LIFE!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
yay for bella.