E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Is BMW really best?

05-02-2006, 09:18 AM   #23
findtom
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60 545i

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason
It's a driver's thing. If you truly enjoy a car and pushing it to what it's capable of at times, there's nothing better than the 3-series in its class. That's why a big deal is made of the E90. The things you named above are things that Lexus does well, but which car wins the sports sedan category year after year? The 3-series.... and why? Because the people reviewing the cars are car enthusiasts and into driving, and that's why the car gets the acclaim that it does.

You can't just say "lexus" is a superior brand without qualifying that statement as to what it is that it's "superior" in. It may be superior in leather quality or gadgets or some of the stuff you listed, but is it superior in driving dynamics? The auto industry reviewers don't seem to think so, and many here who have test driven both prior to purchase also don't think so.
Well said.

I used to wonder why people were so crazy about BMWs. Now that I have one I understand. I started to get it during the test drive, but it was probably only after a few weeks of driving the car daily that I started to truly appreciate what a great car it is.

Would everyone appreciate the car for what it is? Probably not. Every person has different priorities, and every car maker has different priorities. BMW's priority is not luxury or gadgetry, it's driving dynamics. Which suits me fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2006, 09:26 AM   #24
TENCHI
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 G12, '17 E300

my 2 cents.

Are BMWs the best? Probably not. But to my needs, its the best. Its a nice mix of performance and luxury. Some other cars have the luxury packed down or the performance but not both. Look at the IS350. That thing will give an e46 M3 a run for its money. But its not very comfortable. Same thing could be said about the G35 coupe. Very fast and inside looks great, but the ride is uncomfortable. Acura RLs look nice and are very comfy inside but I wouldn't want to take that around a corner doing 60.