E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Job Dilemma

04-30-2006, 07:02 PM   #1
Explorer3253
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 f32

Job Dilemma

Alright..so I have a little dilemma. I have been in a position at my current job for about a year now. Its in Finance. I have a BS in IS and getting a MS in Network Security. (Don't know how that happened) I work in a Fortune 50 company which presents many opportunities and they do promote you moving into your forte. I found a position the other day which is a Entry level position in my major and would be a great stepping stone for me to get into a better IT position. My company rarely has Entry level positions and usually require 5-7 years exp which for me will be tough to get. Also, I've been wanting to move away from NY for a while now, however this job has 75-100% travel, so I'll be able to meet new people and do what I want to without having the fear of moving to a new place and being lonely.

My problem is the following... I've been there for only a year...We are kind of short staffed right now..If I ask and she says no, would my job be in jepordy? The boss is a amazing person and very laid back so I'm hoping she'll see this as a huge opp. for me. This is what I plan on saying to her. Tell me if I should add or remove anything or any advice possible. (We do need approval from our boss to apply since its a internal position)

i have a favor to ask of you. I know I have only been here for a little over a year now, but a opportunity presented itself through my career service advisor last week when I was helping her fix her computer. She had told me about a entry level position that XXXX is offering which pertains to my field of study. Normally, I would have no interest, but as you know my background is IT as is my Masters degree. I looked over the position and it seems like a wonderful stepping stone for me to jump back into the IT field and utilize my education.
Don't get me wrong. I love working for XXXX...Management, coworkers, clients...everyone is wonderful! I love coming to work here everyday, and I am in no way shape or form looking for other employment, however this seems like an opportunity that i can't pass up
With your approval, I'd like to try and take on this endevour and possibly interview with them to see what I have to offer them and what they have to offer me
      04-30-2006, 07:12 PM   #2
CMD
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer3253
Alright..so I have a little dilemma. I have been in a position at my current job for about a year now. Its in Finance. I have a BS in IS and getting a MS in Network Security. (Don't know how that happened) I work in a Fortune 50 company which presents many opportunities and they do promote you moving into your forte. I found a position the other day which is a Entry level position in my major and would be a great stepping stone for me to get into a better IT position. My company rarely has Entry level positions and usually require 5-7 years exp which for me will be tough to get. Also, I've been wanting to move away from NY for a while now, however this job has 75-100% travel, so I'll be able to meet new people and do what I want to without having the fear of moving to a new place and being lonely.

My problem is the following... I've been there for only a year...We are kind of short staffed right now..If I ask and she says no, would my job be in jepordy? The boss is a amazing person and very laid back so I'm hoping she'll see this as a huge opp. for me. This is what I plan on saying to her. Tell me if I should add or remove anything or any advice possible. (We do need approval from our boss to apply since its a internal position)

i have a favor to ask of you. I know I have only been here for a little over a year now, but a opportunity presented itself through my career service advisor last week when I was helping her fix her computer. She had told me about a entry level position that XXXX is offering which pertains to my field of study. Normally, I would have no interest, but as you know my background is IT as is my Masters degree. I looked over the position and it seems like a wonderful stepping stone for me to jump back into the IT field and utilize my education.
Don't get me wrong. I love working for XXXX...Management, coworkers, clients...everyone is wonderful! I love coming to work here everyday, and I am in no way shape or form looking for other employment, however this seems like an opportunity that i can't pass up
With your approval, I'd like to try and take on this endevour and possibly interview with them to see what I have to offer them and what they have to offer me
No bro, you job would not be in jeopardy. Just ask and see what happens. Don't worry, it's okay.

Last edited by CMD; 04-30-2006 at 11:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2006, 08:21 PM   #3
Explorer3253
Lieutenant
Rep

thanks...any suggestions on what im saying?
      04-30-2006, 10:07 PM   #4
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
loyalty to company doesnt exist anymore, for the most companies now have no obligations to their employees.
Remember Enron?
GM and Ford drastically drawing down,
Its every man for himself fellow!
Think of no. 1
YOU!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2006, 11:13 PM   #5
CMD
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer3253
thanks...any suggestions on what im saying?
I think what you've posted there sounds good. Seriously. Give it a go, you don't have anything to loose. I can't imagine your present position being in jeopardy for that. I'd be shocked. Let me/us know how it goes. And good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2006, 08:54 AM   #6
Explorer3253
Lieutenant
Rep

thanks guys...i guess ill set up an appointment with boss lady to speak to her.... im never nervous at interviews or anything of that nature...lol..but why do i have the feeling i'll be walking in st st st stuttering