E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > CUV Comparison: Mazda CX-5 opinion

03-11-2014, 09:24 AM   #1
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

CUV Comparison: Mazda CX-5 opinion

Currently i'm driving a 2008 g37s coupe, manual. It guzzles premium fuel, relatively stiff suspension and a leg workout while sitting in traffic. None of which I really mind because the car has been a joy since I bought it 2 years ago. However, I will be starting at 50 mile (one way commute) from brooklyn out to Long island and back to brooklyn relatively soon as I will be moving in with my fiance within the next couple of weeks.

Due to this commute, having the G37 just does not make sense. So, for her replacement I have the following requirements:

- economical (must be good on gas)
- auto (fiance needs to be able to drive it since it will be our only car
- reliable (this will be my means of getting to and from work, cannot break down on me)
- relatilively sporty
- utility/awd (I ski, mountain bike, road trip etc...)
- ultimate long term durability. Now this requirement has moved me away from a turbo engine because I simply do not see them lasting as long as a NA engine.
- street parkable (brooklyn parking is scary, in a way I don't want a car that I will constantly be worrying about)

The category of CUV seems to be the best possible fit with possibilities including subaru forester, honda crv, toyota rav4 and mazda cx-5

I have landed on the mazda cx-5. It is the favored competitor between all reviews, it gets excelltn gas mileage, looks pretty damn good if you ask me, awd, simple and seems to be rather engaging to drive (as much as a cuv can be).

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

Out of the possiles that I have come up with my questions are:
1) am i missing any other candidates
2) what is your opinion on my choice and would you choose something different
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 09:42 AM   #2
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
Turbo engines built by the right company, with proper maintenance are very solid, reliable engines.

I've driven all you've listed and here are my thoughts

CX-5: Horrendously slow. Cheap feeling interior. Nice exterior styling. Ride is ok.
Forrester: Pretty quick. Don't like the CVT trans. Interior is fair, comfortable. Drives like an SUV (read not sporty)
CR-V: Couldn't believe I wasted my time with one. Sorry Honda.
RAV4: Quick. Interior is nice, but kinda tries too hard to be lux. Ride is kinda bouncy, handles like a heavy SUV.
Q5: Not on your list but it's really good all around if the size is ok for you. A bit big, maybe just harder to park.
EX37: Essentially the same as what you're currently in, but slightly higher.

I ended up with an X1 28i xDrive. The N20 2L 4 is a solid engine, proven in other parts of the world. Goes like stink and sips fuel well on the highway. The interior is nice and simple, a bit cheap for BMW though. Rear seat space isn't the best, but for small people or short trips it's perfectly acceptable. Rear hatch space is a bit of a let down, but with the seats folded it can carry a 55" TV with room to spare.

That's just my 2 coppers.

Edit: The 2.5L wasn't available when I test drove the CX-5. Maybe it will make a bit of a difference.
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 09:47 AM   #3
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep

X1 was what I originally wanted to go with. I was just worried about the long term durability and reliability of the N20.

Supposedly the 2.5L fixes the horribly slow issue with the CX-5. But one of the guys that I work with has a crv with 230k miles on it still going strong. I see the CX-5 being able to do this but I question whether the x1 can also. Being the i'll be doing about 25k miles a year, I would prefer to not depreciate the car compeltely in 4 years and then have to buy something new. It would be nice to hold onto this as a commuter and then evantually a beater for at least 10 years.

Otherwise, hands down I would go with an x1 28i xdrive (xline).
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 10:13 AM   #4
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

The 2.5L does indeed fix most of the issues. It's a good unit, well built and well thought out. Given your priorities, and the X1's hatred of gas, not to mention the street parking factor, I'd take the CX5 over the X1.

I have an eight year old Mazda3 that's been trouble free and the perfect city car.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 11:27 AM   #5
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

I looked at all of the above when recently buying a second car for winter/driving to work. I ended up getting a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Ecodiesel and couldn't be happier. It blows away all of the above in just about every category IMHO, and after 2,000 miles I'm averaging 24.2 mpg and the only reason it's that low is because of the incredibly cold weather we've been having.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 09:51 PM   #6
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgviper
Currently i'm driving a 2008 g37s coupe, manual. It guzzles premium fuel, relatively stiff suspension and a leg workout while sitting in traffic. None of which I really mind because the car has been a joy since I bought it 2 years ago. However, I will be starting at 50 mile (one way commute) from brooklyn out to Long island and back to brooklyn relatively soon as I will be moving in with my fiance within the next couple of weeks.

Due to this commute, having the G37 just does not make sense. So, for her replacement I have the following requirements:

- economical (must be good on gas)
- auto (fiance needs to be able to drive it since it will be our only car
- reliable (this will be my means of getting to and from work, cannot break down on me)
- relatilively sporty
- utility/awd (I ski, mountain bike, road trip etc...)
- ultimate long term durability. Now this requirement has moved me away from a turbo engine because I simply do not see them lasting as long as a NA engine.
- street parkable (brooklyn parking is scary, in a way I don't want a car that I will constantly be worrying about)

The category of CUV seems to be the best possible fit with possibilities including subaru forester, honda crv, toyota rav4 and mazda cx-5

I have landed on the mazda cx-5. It is the favored competitor between all reviews, it gets excelltn gas mileage, looks pretty damn good if you ask me, awd, simple and seems to be rather engaging to drive (as much as a cuv can be).

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review" rel="" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://www.caranddri...ive-review</a>

Out of the possiles that I have come up with my questions are:
1) am i missing any other candidates
2) what is your opinion on my choice and would you choose something different
acura tsx wagon ... better than any of those. awd does not mean it will be better, you need tires. I saw plenty of awd cars stuck on snowy roads while my 330i rwd zoomed right past them with snows. it will also keep the value and is very reliable while being much better to drive ... more engaging
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 12:01 PM   #7
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep

I like the ideas everyone has given me. I'm actually looking into the 2014 Mazda3 s 5-door Touring. Meets all the requirements.

I've always done a set of summer wheels/tires and separate set of winter wheels/tires. The awd just makes the fiance a bit more confident. I've never had any problems though.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 12:05 PM   #8
VR1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Comp

Do not bother with CRV/RAV-4.. Forester & CX-5 are much better. The 2015 Forester is coming out soon, but I think I'd still take the CX-5 because it seems to be the most engaging to drive. As stated previously, the TSX Wagon will be much more engaging/fun then all of those you listed, and can be had equipped at ~32k, and is super reliable and holds it value well, so that'd be my choice.
Appreciate 0