E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Will Lexus regain the lead against BMW in 2014? New IS is selling very well.

03-17-2014, 12:46 PM   #23
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarReviewBMW View Post
This is a great point but Lexus is trying to keep both their 'established' consumer base and add in new ones. That's tough to do. Right now there are already some Lexus owners saying they rather have comfort and luxury over 'wild looks' and 'driver car feels' in regards to the IS and GS. Lexus will lose some and gain some. It is impossible to get the best of both. BMW never got a huge consumer base because of their 'luxury' they got it because of their performance(despite the fact that BMW do have good luxury in a lot of their cars).
Lexus stuck their neck out pretty far in terms of design with their recent crop of vehicles and in doing so took aim squarely at a younger demographic. I just don't see why they would go cutting edge in the interior, cutting edge with the exterior, then just carry over the same tame engines from the previous generation. Nothing about this cars looks tame. Let's not forget, this company made the Supra and the LF-A.

The bottom line is that the IS looks like it's ready to kick some ass but when the bell rings, it's slapping instead of punching.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 12:57 PM   #24
CarReviewBMW
Rep
Drives: BMW 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Lexus stuck their neck out pretty far in terms of design with their recent crop of vehicles and in doing so took aim squarely at a younger demographic. I just don't see why they would go cutting edge in the interior, cutting edge with the exterior, then just carry over the same tame engines from the previous generation. Nothing about this cars looks tame. Let's not forget, this company made the Supra and the LF-A.

The bottom line is that the IS looks like it's ready to kick some ass but when the bell rings, it's slapping instead of punching.
Nice stuff. Reminds me of this 6'6 250 Pound Heavyweight Champion name Wladimir Klitschko. He looks like he's ready to tear you up.Looks the part and definitely act the part. Than when the bell ring, he hugs you and clinches you for 12 rounds.

That being said, I have driven both the IS 250/350 and Q50. The handling on the IS cars was pretty damn amazing.

I think the IS will eventually turn into what it always was. A car college girls and girls in their mid-late 20's have or want to have. Although more and more guys are buying this current generation(a indication of Lexus's success with their new direction).

What will kill the 3 Series domination isn't just one car. It's numerous cars combined together. The C Class will lead the way, doing the most damage. Followed by the IS/Q50/A4/ATS, they will all chip away at the 3 Series market.
The 3 Series is like the Lexus RX. No ONE car can take it's #1 spot from them. It's just too widely established.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 01:47 PM   #25
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post
Turbo 6 and 8 are prob 2yrs out at least.
Well then, Lexus needs to expedite their turbo 6 and 8 development. If they want to poach some car enthusiasts who buy BMW's. Audi, Benz, BMW already have their V8 turbos. Benz now has the twin turbo V6 in the C400, that will be a big hit. Audi has a turbo 6 in the pipeline as well, in the near future.

Last edited by hellrotm; 03-17-2014 at 03:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 01:52 PM   #26
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Right now there are already some Lexus owners saying they rather have comfort and luxury over 'wild looks' and 'driver car feels' in regards to the IS and GS. Lexus will lose some and gain some. It is impossible to get the best of both. BMW never got a huge consumer base because of their 'luxury' they got it because of their performance(despite the fact that BMW do have good luxury in a lot of their cars).
I beg to differ. This is exactly why BMW and Benz are the leaders. They provide performance and luxury, at a perfect balance. Benz right now is leading the way in this category. Both BMW and Lexus have strong pro growth plans, I don't see Lexus overtaking either of them. In fact I see Audi making a better push towards the top. Lexus is the Japanese Cadillac.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 02:16 PM   #27
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Nice stuff. Reminds me of this 6'6 250 Pound Heavyweight Champion name Wladimir Klitschko. He looks like he's ready to tear you up.Looks the part and definitely act the part. Than when the bell ring, he hugs you and clinches you for 12 rounds.

That being said, I have driven both the IS 250/350 and Q50. The handling on the IS cars was pretty damn amazing.

I think the IS will eventually turn into what it always was. A car college girls and girls in their mid-late 20's have or want to have. Although more and more guys are buying this current generation(a indication of Lexus's success with their new direction).

What will kill the 3 Series domination isn't just one car. It's numerous cars combined together. The C Class will lead the way, doing the most damage. Followed by the IS/Q50/A4/ATS, they will all chip away at the 3 Series market.
The 3 Series is like the Lexus RX. No ONE car can take it's #1 spot from them. It's just too widely established.

Never say never.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 04:55 PM   #28
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW no more

Quote:
If you are able to walk away with a new NX with around 38,500(everything included), why buy a RX for 45,000?
This is not a unique Lexus issue.

Porsche have the new Macan that will eat into Cayenne sales. But overall sales will improve by offering a more diverse product portfolio.

I am sure X3 did the same to X5 and then X1 came along. Good for the overall bottom line.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 12:34 AM   #29
CarReviewBMW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
I beg to differ. This is exactly why BMW and Benz are the leaders. They provide performance and luxury, at a perfect balance. Benz right now is leading the way in this category. Both BMW and Lexus have strong pro growth plans, I don't see Lexus overtaking either of them. In fact I see Audi making a better push towards the top. Lexus is the Japanese Cadillac.
That's exactly what they said about BMW/Mercedes from 2000-2010. Why are some German car fanboys acting like BMW/Mercedes are dominating Lexus or have dominated Lexus? Lexus is 30,000 Units short of #1. They were #1 from 2000-2010. Their FLAGSHIP have taken it to the 7 Series/S Class on a yearly basis and went toe to toe against them for all but two years.

Audi isn't out selling Lexus in the United States. Audi's volume seller can't even outsell the current IS. Look at the sales charts for A4 VS IS. Audi is the most overrated Brand among ALL the upscale Brands in the United States. This is a Brand who's 'best year' is 150,000 Units. Audi should and need to get in line and worry about Infiniti and Cadillac rather than trying to outsell Lexus in the United States.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 01:28 AM   #30
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
CarReviewBMW = GoingTooFast

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 01:31 AM   #31
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
CarReviewBMW = GoingTooFast

Actually think you are right.

He couldn't come back after the 4C was such a failure. Losing comparos to a non-s Cayman.

Not sure why he picked CarReviewBMW, instead of CarReviewLexus. He now is a Lexus fanboy.

Last edited by hellrotm; 03-18-2014 at 01:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 01:53 AM   #32
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
That's exactly what they said about BMW/Mercedes from 2000-2010. Why are some German car fanboys acting like BMW/Mercedes are dominating Lexus or have dominated Lexus? Lexus is 30,000 Units short of #1. They were #1 from 2000-2010. Their FLAGSHIP have taken it to the 7 Series/S Class on a yearly basis and went toe to toe against them for all but two years.

Audi isn't out selling Lexus in the United States. Audi's volume seller can't even outsell the current IS. Look at the sales charts for A4 VS IS. Audi is the most overrated Brand among ALL the upscale Brands in the United States. This is a Brand who's 'best year' is 150,000 Units. Audi should and need to get in line and worry about Infiniti and Cadillac rather than trying to outsell Lexus in the United States.
LOL. So you think a car company that is currently the global luxury brand leader in sales, won't increase their US sales. They hit their 150,000 unit goal two years early. Fact is VW group is spending billions making Audi a global powerhouse, that includes the US.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 02:43 AM   #33
CarReviewBMW
Rep

Quote:
LOL. So you think a car company that is currently the global luxury brand leader in sales, won't increase their US sales. They hit their 150,000 unit goal two years early. Fact is VW group is spending billions making Audi a global powerhouse, that includes the US.
How? I'm serious. In what segment will Audi beat Lexus in? If they could, they would have in 2013. The Audi hype was already rolling as early as 2011.

Once again Lexus's THIRD SELLER(IS) is doing better than Audi's #1(A4).
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 06:50 AM   #34
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
How? I'm serious. In what segment will Audi beat Lexus in? If they could, they would have in 2013. The Audi hype was already rolling as early as 2011.

Once again Lexus's THIRD SELLER(IS) is doing better than Audi's #1(A4).
The difference is that Lexus has only seven models while Audi has 12-17, depending on how you want to count them. Additionally, AWD cars don't really sell in the entire southern half of the country while they are incredibly popular in places like the northeast. This is one of the key reasons why BMW sales have increased so dramatically as they began offering AWD on nearly every model.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 08:48 AM   #35
ep_83
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0T

Quote:
I did some research on that NX. This could be a potential mega hit for Lexus, the only issue with this is if they price it at 35,000 MSRP.......(which is the most likely range) that will eat away at the RX sales.

If you are able to walk away with a new NX with around 38,500(everything included), why buy a RX for 45,000?

My guess is that the TX that is replacing the GX in 2016 will be somwhere in the 60-65k range. The GX currently starts at 50k and the next model up (the LX) starts at 82k.

That will leave room for Lexus to move the RX up to about 45k and add thrid row seating. This will be perfect for stealing sales from Acura's number 1 selling MDX.

Quote:

Audi really needs to do something with it's lease programs. Currently the residual on an A4 36 month lease at 10k miles a year is 53%
Appreciate 0