E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Dear VW passat owners.

06-26-2007, 09:11 PM   #1
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Dear VW passat owners.

Has anyone else seen the stupid ads that start out "Dear (circle one) BMW, Lexus, Mercedes, owner.

I am sorry for what happened on the road yada yada.. I realized you spent a lot of money on your car and the last thing you needed was to a VW passat to leave you behind like that, if I see you on the road again ill let up on the gas and let you pass me.

Anyways this is an ad for the new VW 2.0T stating its faster than a BMW 525i C230 IS 250 from 0-60..

Well here is my letter to the passat owner I raced.

I am sorry that VW chose to compare your car to a BMW that is not in the same class as yours. I realized you learned your lesson when my 328i easily pulled away from you. Next time I wont play with your mind that much and just dust you outright.

Sincerly,

BMW 328i.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2007, 09:18 PM   #2
Chris.G
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 LCI MSPORT X5 30d

gotta love the U.S. ads Just makes you laugh at the VW's marketing team.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2007, 11:40 PM   #3
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i 07

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewAZ View Post
Has anyone else seen the stupid ads that start out "Dear (circle one) BMW, Lexus, Mercedes, owner.

I am sorry for what happened on the road yada yada.. I realized you spent a lot of money on your car and the last thing you needed was to a VW passat to leave you behind like that, if I see you on the road again ill let up on the gas and let you pass me.

Anyways this is an ad for the new VW 2.0T stating its faster than a BMW 525i C230 IS 250 from 0-60..

I am sorry that VW chose to compare your car to a BMW that is not in the same class as yours. I realized you learned your lesson when my 328i easily pulled away from you. Next time I wont play with your mind that much and just dust you outright.

Sincerly,

BMW 328i.
Dude, get over yourself. I have both a '06 Passat and '07 328i. Is the Passat faster than my 328i? haha no look at its specs.

Horsepower @ RPM200@5100Torque @ RPM207@1800 (foot-lbs)

Maybe the 0-60 is faster than a 5 series. Ok does that matter? A 5 series is most likely better than the Passat though. The commercial did its job, it made people think is it?

The Passat is a fun sedan, to think you are cool by beating one. Now that is lame.
      06-27-2007, 05:54 AM   #4
chbrules
MSVConrad++
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 2006 325i | E92 2007 335i

Hasn't VW been going through a plethora of advertisement agencies and such because each has had poor marketing tactics for their brand? The comercials are virtually as bad as Apple's. Though, I have to give it to Apple, they seem to do the best in poor marketing.
      06-27-2007, 07:06 AM   #5
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 325i; F10 528i; 2002tii

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewAZ View Post

Sincerly,

BMW 328i.
Relax. I have a B5.5 1.8T Passat and an E90 325. Both are good cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 07:25 AM   #6
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a few BMWs

Even worse are the Hydai commercials......

And I love that they keep saying 525i this and that....considering that the 525i doesnt even exsist in the US anymore. Thats like saying, the such and such is faster then the bmw 318ti............considering that thats not even made by BMW anymore?

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 07:26 AM   #7
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
yeah, i wont knock the passat, its pretty decent. honestly, if i had to downgrade, i would consider it. but shit, to compare it to an E90. hah. anyways. i love these kinds of ads, it reminds me that our cars are so superior that these are the kind of things they have to do, to ACTUALLY single out their competition. our car? speaks for itself.

cheers m8's!
      06-27-2007, 08:03 AM   #8
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
A guy I know just got a 07 Passat and he hates it. Hates it so much he's trying to figure out ways to burn it/have it stolen or whatever just so he can get rid of it. He's tried selling it and taking it to several dealers and dealers all want him to pay to get rid of it to the tune of 5K+.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 10:22 AM   #9
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
A guy I know just got a 07 Passat and he hates it. Hates it so much he's trying to figure out ways to burn it/have it stolen or whatever just so he can get rid of it. He's tried selling it and taking it to several dealers and dealers all want him to pay to get rid of it to the tune of 5K+.
ok, a little over dramatic? What exactly does he hate about it?
      06-27-2007, 10:56 AM   #10
Corey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '92 240SX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiemyster View Post
but shit, to compare it to an E90. hah.
god forbid anyone compare a lowly VW to the great E90, paragon of comfort and performance

"You're going to have your heart broken, and you're gonna repair it with zipties."
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 11:10 AM   #11
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

Do they even still make a 525i? I thought they stopped making that model a few years ago.

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 11:20 AM   #12
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
god forbid anyone compare a lowly VW to the great E90, paragon of comfort and performance
Indeed, this guy I knows R32 that is supercharged is still nothing compared to a great BMW.

Point is it was a marketing scheme, nothing more. If you are going to go all crazy over it. Then why dont you race the higher end Passat model? See if you can beat that. Or race somone who has modded their 2.0T Passat. VW owners are a really strong group, bet you can find a modded one that would whoop you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki View Post
Do they even still make a 525i? I thought they stopped making that model a few years ago.
No they longer don't. But that scheme is used a lot. Spout out random shit no one will know for the most part but at the same time get your point across.

In this case the general public knows what a 5 series is. But they don't know what models there is. Therefore, they can get away with it.
      06-27-2007, 11:26 AM   #13
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

They shouldn't be allowed to compare their cars with models that are no longer in production. I saw the same thing when I was at an Infiniti dealer and it was comparing their M something against a BMW 525i on some spec sheet.

I also remember a couple years ago I got my E90 before the Lexus IS had come out. When the Lexus came out maybe 6 months later the dealer was handing out spec sheets comparing the new IS to the E46! What a load of scum.

From a marketing major's perspective, I feel that if you are confident that you have the best, you have no reason to compare. If you don't have the best, you'll do anything to convince others that you do.

And I'm not being a BMW elitest when saying that. Mercedes and Porsche also do not use comparative advertising.

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 11:29 AM   #14
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
They shouldn't be allowed to compare their cars with models that are no longer in production. I saw the same thing when I was at an Infiniti dealer and it was comparing their M something against a BMW 525i on some spec sheet.

I also remember a couple years ago I got my E90 before the Lexus IS had come out. When the Lexus came out maybe 6 months later the dealer was handing out spec sheets comparing the new IS to the E46! What a load of scum.

From a marketing major's perspective, I feel that if you are confident that you have the best, you have to reason to compare. If you don't have the best, you'll do anything to convince others that you do.

And I'm not being a BMW elitest when saying that. Mercedes and Porsche also don't use comparative advertising.
I agree, but when a company comes to you stating you need to make correlations like this. What are you going to do, pass up the job? It may be wrong in a sense but at the same time, people should do research. I also highly doubt people are buying Passats solely on that fact. If so they are the type that think you can get rich in 15 mins.

Either way it is bad but what marketing isnt in some way lying or wrong?
      06-27-2007, 11:31 AM   #15
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

I don't know, I still haven't found a damn job so I am sure at this point I wouldn't care. As long as it isn't for GM/Ford :P

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 11:42 AM   #16
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
I don't know, I still haven't found a damn job so I am sure at this point I wouldn't care. As long as it isn't for GM/Ford :P
haha, have you checked out any marketing firms in Boston? There has to be tons. Maybe even some that are somewhat new. Hope you can find one.
      06-27-2007, 11:44 AM   #17
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasBlitz View Post
haha, have you checked out any marketing firms in Boston? There has to be tons. Maybe even some that are somewhat new. Hope you can find one.
Yeah I have applied to like 50 already on monster.com. I got one interview but I didn't get the job and it wasn't what I wanted anyways, only $27k a year-that's gay.

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 11:50 AM   #18
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
SORRY! You all have very wrong information. The 525i is STILL in production. maybe not in NA, but we get them factory fresh here in Trinidad! check your facts... i could just be on crack.... but im sure im not.

The 525, just like the rest of the lower end models (320) is not made in AMERICA because they dont want those kinds of cars there. they are lacking in the power to keep up with in America. sure u might see one or two brought in specially, but thats it really.

example: a 320i in Trinidad is FAR more superior than 95% on everything else here on the road. so i guess its based on the evnironment.
      06-27-2007, 11:52 AM   #19
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiemyster View Post
SORRY! You all have very wrong information. The 525i is STILL in production. maybe not in NA, but we get them factory fresh here in Trinidad! check your facts... i could just be on crack.... but im sure im not.

The 525, just like the rest of the lower end models (320) is not made in AMERICA because they dont want those kinds of cars there. they are lacking in the power to keep up with in America. sure u might see one or two brought in specially, but thats it really.

example: a 320i in Trinidad is FAR more superior than 95% on everything else here on the road. so i guess its based on the evnironment.
Still, the commercial is produced and run for the American market.

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 12:30 PM   #20
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinderฎ surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

525 still exists everywhere else other than North America
while 318ti is not produced anymore, period.

So your analogy doesn't make sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost_Nation View Post

And I love that they keep saying 525i this and that....considering that the 525i doesnt even exsist in the US anymore. Thats like saying, the such and such is faster then the bmw 318ti............considering that thats not even made by BMW anymore?
      06-27-2007, 01:12 PM   #21
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Maybe you could sell BMWs. An attractive saleswoman that is knowledgeable in the models would certainly be a plus. Just leave the gaudy plaid jacket at home.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 01:15 PM   #22
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost_Nation View Post
The absolute, hands down worst car commercial is that one with the car/transformer (Citroen?), especially the one that dances. Whenever it comes on I reach for the remote.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0