E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > weird speeding ticket

06-04-2007, 06:08 PM   #23
bigJnyc
Private
Rep
Drives: 07' alpine white 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAMidge View Post
Your post says it all!
Sounds pretty self explanatory how he clocked you at 95 in a 65. What are you some kind of idiot? You just incriminated yourself here.

Stop bitching, you know you did the wrong thing, and you suffer the consequence. Maybe if you weren't a jackass to the cop he would have reduced it to 75 in a 65 on the spot.

This falls into the "tough shit" category of life. Don't waste your time and money with a lawyer, just pay the stupid ticket cause you were wrong.

Then again, if the proper authorities are notified, this text could be used as incriminating evidence in such a case, since you admitted to driving faster then 85 to beat the truck, solidifying the cop's case.

Grow up, pay the ticket, and stop complaining. Other people have worse misfortunes that they REALLY need lawyers and the justice system for.

Edit:
I understand the question better, although I'm still keeping the above post. So I apologize for the cynical nature of the post.

In New York State, and many states, there are many speed catching technologies:
1. Radar
2. Laser
3. Visualization - yes, an approximation based on how fast the cop sees you going
4. Traffic Based

It would seem that in this case the cop clocked not only your car, but the cars around you at about 85mph or higher. Then he or she decisively picks out the one to pursue, generally the one that will end up paying a ticket because they can afford it (high end vehicle) or the asshole weaving in and out.

The cop then comes to your window with some sort of saying "I got you at 95", which isn't always the case. What they do is try to incriminate the driver by putting the burden of truth on the driver, not them. So if you were to get pulled over and say "yes I was passing the truck" or "I was going 90 not 95", you have just incriminated yourself.

The best answer becomes "I don't know how fast I was going"; the cop generally replies "XX fast"; then you have the right to say and ask "how? via radar, etc; If SO, may I see the reading?".

If the cop isn't bluffing, there will be a reading on their gun. Keep in mind that if calibrated daily their guns are never off by +/- 2mph, but if not, could be up to 10% wrong, as well as your speedometer.

Regardless, the evidence is against you, regardless of what technology they got you on. It has happened to everyone here, I was pulled over in the MIDDLE of a caravan - yes - #3 of 5 people driving the same speed on the road. It sucks, but you do the right thing by being polite, and under control when the cop talks to you.

So again, I apologize for the cynicism above, as it was not addressing your question.
omg again and this is the last time i'm going to say this.... i'm not complaining about getting the ticket i just didnt know that you can be clocked from behind, i wasnt aware of this technology. im not bitching, im not being a cry-baby i just simply wanted to discuss this technology with fellow forum members because i knew nothing about it. jeez do some people just wake up and decide they want to be assholes sometimes?

i dont care about paying the ticket but i want to avoid getting points on my license so im getting a lawyer so freaking shoot me im sure i'm not the first person to do this, if everyone pleaded guilty and just paid tickets everytime they got pulled over there would be a whole lot of suspended licenses out there.

I hate when people come on here and try to preach this do the right thing all the time crap then they probably go out and break rules themselves.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2007, 07:52 PM   #24
BavDom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigJnyc View Post
omg again and this is the last time i'm going to say this.... i'm not complaining about getting the ticket i just didnt know that you can be clocked from behind, i wasnt aware of this technology. im not bitching, im not being a cry-baby i just simply wanted to discuss this technology with fellow forum members because i knew nothing about it. jeez do some people just wake up and decide they want to be assholes sometimes?

i dont care about paying the ticket but i want to avoid getting points on my license so im getting a lawyer so freaking shoot me im sure i'm not the first person to do this, if everyone pleaded guilty and just paid tickets everytime they got pulled over there would be a whole lot of suspended licenses out there.

I hate when people come on here and try to preach this do the right thing all the time crap then they probably go out and break rules themselves.

Do what I posted, it's the best option.
Appreciate 0