F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Low Speed Suspension Rattle (help diagnosis)
Studio RSR

02-15-2021, 02:19 PM   #1
tobefair-idontcare
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Low Speed Suspension Rattle (help diagnosis)

I have a 17' 340i Xdrive w/ stock adaptive suspension and THP lowered on Dinan springs. For the last month or so, while going over bumps at low speeds, I'm getting some sort of persistent rattle most likely coming from the front suspension. The rattle only happens at low speeds and the sounds like a quick chattering like something is lose in the suspension or possibly wearing out. The car has 75k miles and I'm wondering if the adaptive struts are starting to fail. Does anyone know what it sounds like when the adaptive struts start to fail? Any ideas on what the rattling might be? Trying to self diagnosis before I go to a dealership and waste $200 just diagnosing the issue.

FYI, just replaced the sway bar end links less than 10k miles ago and it doesn't sound the same as when they wore out last time.

Any help would be great. Lastly, any suspension refresh tips would helpful, as well. What I might need to buy to freshen it up to like new condition.

Thanks!
      02-15-2021, 04:17 PM   #2
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobefair-idontcare View Post
I have a 17' 340i Xdrive w/ stock adaptive suspension and THP lowered on Dinan springs. For the last month or so, while going over bumps at low speeds, I'm getting some sort of persistent rattle most likely coming from the front suspension. The rattle only happens at low speeds and the sounds like a quick chattering like something is lose in the suspension or possibly wearing out. The car has 75k miles and I'm wondering if the adaptive struts are starting to fail. Does anyone know what it sounds like when the adaptive struts start to fail? Any ideas on what the rattling might be? Trying to self diagnosis before I go to a dealership and waste $200 just diagnosing the issue.

FYI, just replaced the sway bar end links less than 10k miles ago and it doesn't sound the same as when they wore out last time.

Any help would be great. Lastly, any suspension refresh tips would helpful, as well. What I might need to buy to freshen it up to like new condition.

Thanks!
It's the EDC strut. Had the same failure.
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2021, 04:22 PM   #3
tobefair-idontcare
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenKeel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobefair-idontcare View Post

Thanks!
It's the EDC strut. Had the same failure.
It's the EDC strut. Had the same failure.[/QUOTE]

What was your process to get it fixed? Do you just do stock replacements? Also, could you share what it cost if you don't mind?

Thanks!
      02-15-2021, 10:26 PM   #4
Stucks
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i Xdrive

I have the same low speed rattle in my 17 340i xdrive with adaptive suspension. Shop first diagnosed it as a strut (front left was leaking) and after replacing it, rattle was still there. Replaced the lower control arms as well since one bushing was leaking...rattle still there. Feels like a light clunking/rattle. Just like you said, as if something is loose somewhere in the front suspension. I don't hear or notice it at higher speeds or on the highway. Just at low parking lot speeds.

I have front strut mounts and the bmw steering rack repair kit as my next two attempts to killing the noise. It wasn't there when I bought the car last July and I haven't hit any major potholes.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 11:39 PM   #5
mgeller
Private
United_States
Rep

Just as an idea to look at if you had an alignment recently. I had a shop forget to put the the little clamp back on the tie rod boot so it was just spinning and rattling over bumps
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 07:13 PM   #6
el_couzin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f30

It happens to me but only during cold days of winter. I've saw somewhere that is "normal".. but normal in winter. no sound for the rest of the year. I don't know where your located so I don't know if your sound could be related to outside temp.

Last edited by el_couzin; 02-16-2021 at 09:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 09:42 PM   #7
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340 MSport

It might be your steering rack. Try moving the steering wheel back and forth a tiny bit when the car is parked and off. If you get a rattle that's your issue. There is a way to just tighten the rack a bit and the noise will go away but you'd just be on borrowed time and should do the rack retrofit kit. There is a couple good threads on here related to it. I tightened mine to see if the noise would go away and it did. The retro fit is now on my short list of to do items. You'll need to buy the three prong tool to do it right. I found one in the for sale section randomly and bought it. You can find them on eBay from the UK too.
Appreciate 1
sdbwisc66.00
      02-24-2021, 06:46 AM   #8
gds
gds
Greece
Rep
Drives: bmw 320i ed 2016

I had the same issue with the oem M-Adaptive suspension at 45000km in both comfort and sport mode at low speed- parking sppeds . A lot of experrienced mechanichs couldnt find a solution -all the components of the suspension looked like new. The problem absolutely dissapeared after i installed a set of Ohlins DFV .(and a new problem -harshness came up...)
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 03:18 PM   #9
e90_330i
Rep
Drives: bmw 330i

Any resolution on this OP? I have this same rattle as described in my 2018 with EDC. My car only has 36k miles and am not convinced its the expensive strut failing this early. I see a few posts say the strut is the issue then I see a few others saying its not on very similar descriptions to yours.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 04:51 PM   #10
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

tobefair-idontcare, when did you install Dinan springs? How many miles since the installation?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2023, 12:52 AM   #11
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

Check the power steering bushing. Super common. And it's a cheap and easy fix. About $25-$50 for the tool and like $35 for the part. Rock your steering wheel back and forth, if it makes the same clunk/rattle sound you hear as it does when you go over a driver side speed bump, it's the power steering bushing.

Here's a video...

(this one is REALLY bad)

(garage tech view)
Appreciate 1
sdbwisc66.00
      01-22-2024, 02:28 PM   #12
klimic85
Rep
Drives: 2016 440i

Hello is there any update? i have exactly the same problem, i did steering rod repair but it didnt help.

Thanks
Appreciate 0