E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Go Pro Help!

01-14-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
wesyee
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan

Go Pro Help!

Looking to buy a GoPro for some upcoming trips. I'd like to be able to use it while snowboarding (attached to a helmet), scuba diving (attached to?) and motorsports (attached to a car) - what's my best bet? There seem to be many choices for both cameras and housings. I assume I'll need to purchase different housings for all three of those activities. Thanks in advance!
      01-15-2013, 07:16 AM   #2
DSB335d
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335d DSB/oyster&black/navi

Hero3 black edition-surf. Waterproof to 60m (197ft)+ includes waterproof remote. This one is sufficient, no need for different housings. Helmet front mount for snowboarding, chest mount harness for scuba diving, and suction cup mount to use on a car.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 02:13 PM   #3
wesyee
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSB335d View Post
Hero3 black edition-surf. Waterproof to 60m (197ft)+ includes waterproof remote. This one is sufficient, no need for different housings. Helmet front mount for snowboarding, chest mount harness for scuba diving, and suction cup mount to use on a car.
Thanks for the response. Reviews on Amazon seem pretty harsh on this one, wondering if I'd be better off with an older model. Also - the surf edition just adds a surfboard mount - correct? I'll still need to buy the three other mounts mentioned? Thanks!
      01-15-2013, 02:59 PM   #4
DSB335d
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335d DSB/oyster&black/navi

Yeah either of the hero3 black editions. I believe are the only ones that have 12MP and also come with the waterproof wifi remote. The surf mount is irrelevant, not sure why I typed that. Lol
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #5
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

for outdoor activities, I think the Chest Mount is best, especially if you want a balanced and hand-free feel without having to fumble around for the record button or to take your helmet off to read the display.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #6
flyinb501
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

I love my Hero 1. Mine came with the housing, and both a vented and waterproof back. It also came with a helmet mount, which I use along with a chest mount as well. I use it mostly for motocross racing, but I have had it in the water as well. I'm still not sure what the difference is between the 1 and 2 if any really. The 3 has some nice features, but not sure I would ever need or use any of them.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 01:41 PM   #7
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MR, E34, E30

The Hero3 cameras have an issue with dealing with low frequency sounds that typically happen while driving a car (check out some of the threads on the GoPro forums!). The only real fix is to buy a mic adapter cable and external mic to record audio for certain activities, but this requires you to use a housing that is not waterproof. I have a Hero3 Silver edition (which is pretty much the same hardware as the Hero2, but in a smaller package and with a few extra features) and video quality is great. From comparisons, the only real benefit of spending the extra $100 on the Black edition is if you want to film in high-speed, ultra high res (4K, 1.7K?), or take very high res photos. Also the Black edition comes with a Wi-Fi remote which is cool, but Wi-Fi kills the battery quickly. Plus, the Silver edition (and maybe White) is Wi-Fi enabled already, so you can actually control and monitor your GoPro from an iOS or Android device, which is what I do.
Appreciate 0