E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 2008 328i coupe (e92) Turning Right at Low Speed Squeak

07-16-2014, 01:44 AM   #1
WhiteHalf
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i White Coupe (e92)

2008 328i coupe (e92) Turning Right at Low Speed Squeak

Hi guys,

This is my first post. I have already done a search up for this issue but on many of the similar posts, they get hijacked with others clearly not reading the issue and talking about grinding etc ...

So, the car is giving me a high pitched squeak sound while ONLY turning RIGHT at low speeds (less than 20km/h) and no brakes being used. If I apply the brakes the noise stops, and if I accelerate out of the turn it stops as well.

This does not seem to be a braking problem, front brakes are brand new (rotors and pads from BMW about two months ago). I thought the sounds was because the front brakes were low and needed to be replaced but it still makes the sound even after they've been replaced.

Has anyone had this exact problem and what was the reason?

Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 02:12 AM   #2
oogabooga
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 Melbourne M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
I've got this also. Its really bad. Mine progressed from only happening when i turn right to ALL the time at low speeds. Its driving me insane. It goes away immediately when I apply the slightest amount of brake so I definitely think its related to the brakes.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 11:37 AM   #3
ykolin
Rep
Drives: 325i 2006 e90

guys,
first of all check your steering fluid and top it up if needed.
some people suggested to use silicone spray in the steering wheel bay.

i have not done those things yet myself since working on Valve Cover Gasket. as soon as i finish with it, will look into squeak/whistle noise when turning at slow driving.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 01:00 PM   #4
WhiteHalf
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i White Coupe (e92)

The sound is definitely coming from outside the car not inside of the steering column (sorry not sure where the steering bay is) and to me, appears to be coming from the front right wheel area. It also only happens when doing a tight turn.

As for steering fluid, the reservoir is mid level when I checked, the dipstick on the cap for the steering fluid reservoir has 3 levels - my level sits right in the middle of the 2nd one. I assume since the fluid level is smack dab in the middle of the 2nd level it is where it should be.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 01:38 PM   #5
Zernaff
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

My car does this as well, as do many on the forum. They haven't really found a fix but there's a good bit of suggestions and things that work for some on the forum. Here's a link:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=526765
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 01:17 PM   #6
mbanks21
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i MSport

My car did this when I first bought it. At low speeds it was an annoying metallic squeeling noise that went away when I hit the brakes. For me it was the brake pad sensors. I also did a full brake job (rotors, pads, sensors) at the same time but it was def the sensor. Not sure why...
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 01:43 PM   #7
Thadiusjames
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

Brake Squeal / Squeak

Hello everyone, did you find the solution to this? I just took my 335i in for service with this issue today. The lead service technician said this is a common problem with the 330 and 335i models. As the breaks wear in they don't do so evenly, this causes an issue with the right rear e-brake shoes. According to him when the brakes warm up after 15 to 20 minutes of driving the noise will be most obvious especially at low speeds. He is completing an e-brake service and chamfering the edges of the shoes to solve the problem. I am crossing my fingers that this works as the sound is incredibly embarrassing as I squeak down the road at low speeds.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 12:22 PM   #8
oogabooga
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 Melbourne M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadiusjames
Hello everyone, did you find the solution to this? I just took my 335i in for service with this issue today. The lead service technician said this is a common problem with the 330 and 335i models. As the breaks wear in they don't do so evenly, this causes an issue with the right rear e-brake shoes. According to him when the brakes warm up after 15 to 20 minutes of driving the noise will be most obvious especially at low speeds. He is completing an e-brake service and chamfering the edges of the shoes to solve the problem. I am crossing my fingers that this works as the sound is incredibly embarrassing as I squeak down the road at low speeds.
Does it sound like your squeal is coming from the rear of the car? My squeal is only coming from the right front area like Whitehalf's describes.... Hmmm... Coincidence or not?
Appreciate 0